Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to move post college???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
    The combination of mild winters and non-humid summers pretty much knocks out almost all of those options. The only areas in the U.S. I can think of that have both those factors are areas in the southwest (and possibly the magical Colorado, I think it has a pretty dry climate (but cold winters), but hopefully someone from there can correct me if I'm wrong on that).

    Tucson has very mild winters, and very non-humid summers, but the catch is the summers are brutually hot. So, in terms of weather, there's probably got to be some compromise (like maybe humid summers are okay if it's for a shorter period of time than say a Georgia summer). In that case, places like Asheville could work.

    You mentioned nightlife...are you looking for bars/clubs type of stuff, or are you also interested in cultural stuff like theater, arts, music scene, etc?

    Economy needs to be strong...does this mean you need to be in an area where there is a lot of money, and cost of living isn't a factor?
    I like hot weather (not 100 degrees all the time hot)and I grew up in the very humid south. Humidity isn't a deal breaker, it's just a plus if it's not a factor.

    I don't remember mentioning night life, but we can talk about it lol. I'm not a club/ bar type guy, alcohol isn't really my thing. I'd rather have fun doing something without alcohol at night. It doesn't take much to entertain me, just need some good friends. I liketh zee music and theatre/art doesn't fancy me.

    I need people with disposable income to supply my business(Hustle for Muscle) with a profit. I'm not sure I could handle a high cost of living right now. I will be straight out of college with a new small business. Although, I do think my business would do very well in San Diego (but it's so expensive to live there compared to other places I'm considering).

    I'm trying to stay away from the AZ desert. I like GREEN places.
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

    http://www.hustleformuscle.com

    Comment


    • #32
      For whom ever asked, I live just south of Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky, which is where I grew up. I've lived all over the country and ultimately found my way back home.

      Cruncan, I used to live in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina. Temperate weather, lots of green, close to mountains, lots of young highly educated people, Duke University, North Carolina University, University of Northern Carolina Chapel Hill, etc. Google Research Triangle and see what you think.

      Comment


      • #33
        Take the "Find Your Spot" quiz:
        Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by cruncan View Post
          I like hot weather (not 100 degrees all the time hot)and I grew up in the very humid south. Humidity isn't a deal breaker, it's just a plus if it's not a factor.

          I don't remember mentioning night life, but we can talk about it lol. I'm not a club/ bar type guy, alcohol isn't really my thing. I'd rather have fun doing something without alcohol at night. It doesn't take much to entertain me, just need some good friends. I liketh zee music and theatre/art doesn't fancy me.

          I need people with disposable income to supply my business(Hustle for Muscle) with a profit. I'm not sure I could handle a high cost of living right now. I will be straight out of college with a new small business. Although, I do think my business would do very well in San Diego (but it's so expensive to live there compared to other places I'm considering).

          I'm trying to stay away from the AZ desert. I like GREEN places.
          What about northern California (I'm thinking someplace like Arcata or Eureka)...Weather is awesome, access to green space, expensive (but not as bad as southern California) which consequently means there are people with disposible income. Plus, I remember Arcata having lots of young people who were very social...my friends and I were invited to three parties during our pit stop at the food coop there.

          Comment


          • #35
            Portland is a nice place. I moved from Arizona. It also has a lot of paleo/primal support.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
              Take the "Find Your Spot" quiz:
              Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot
              That's a cool link, thanks!

              I'm supposed to be living in Corvallis, OR. xD The Bay Area wasn't even on the top 24 :\ Looks like I moved to the wrong place haha!
              My chocolatey Primal journey

              Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                Take the "Find Your Spot" quiz:
                Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot
                I like this link alot! It says I should be in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I dont know about that, but i love that it gives 4 pages worth of choices and also gives alot of useful information on each. Most of my results are located in the south. I want to try out a new region of the country. Cool though!
                Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

                http://www.hustleformuscle.com

                Comment


                • #38
                  I know you're looking for mild winters, but if that's negotiable, Minneapolis is an awesome city to check out...lots of young folks into athletic stuff (there is an amazing network of bicycle paths around the city that convert to cross-country ski trails in the winter, there are a zillion lakes, it's pretty affordable but there's a good economy (as far as i know) and there's a really vibrant arts and music scene...lots to do. Maybe the winters will make you appreciate the South more

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    The main reason I'm trying to get out of the south is due to its hardcore Christian culture. I'm not religious and that is very bad in the south haha. People are so judgemental down here. Its nuts! I love everything else about the south. An open minded culture is what I'm looking for. Im fed up with not being Christian in the Bible belt.
                    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

                    http://www.hustleformuscle.com

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      If I had to move I would go to Chattanooga. The suburbs are nice from what I've seen and the city has a little of everything to do, it also seems to have quite a few job openings in my field. As for being too Christian, I can't say, that's something I've never thought about. Why do you care what people think about you? They judge you, you judge them for judging you, why not just live together in judgmental bliss?
                      If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
                        If I had to move I would go to Chattanooga. The suburbs are nice from what I've seen and the city has a little of everything to do, it also seems to have quite a few job openings in my field. As for being too Christian, I can't say, that's something I've never thought about. Why do you care what people think about you? They judge you, you judge them for judging you, why not just live together in judgmental bliss?
                        I don't let the judgemental people get to me, I would just like to experience a place where the majority of people think like I do. Seems like it would be more fun to talk to someone that has my views. Again, the south is great, I just want a new experience.
                        Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

                        http://www.hustleformuscle.com

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          My favorite places are Vancouver Island and Vancouver. I am sure it's just as nice down south along the West Coast as well. Seattle was lovely, and San Francisco. I would love to see stuff in between one of those days. As long as it gets mountains and ocean and less than 2 months of winter, I think it's great!
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            two cents!

                            Originally posted by cruncan View Post
                            Cool! I like the knoxville area too. If i did stay in the south, TN would be a top choice. My business is centered in the fitness industry, so my goal is to surround myself in a fitness oriented area.
                            I grew up in Durham, North Carolina- gorgeous weather, still the South, and fabulous outdoorsy places throughout the state, depending on what kind of topography you like: flat/coastal, rolling hills or more mountainous out west. Asheville and Durham are both friendly to biz owners. (I'm a mobile entrepreneur.)

                            I've also lived in: Richmond, VA- great small town with fabulous food and huge crossfit community, last undiscovered southern city, river and trails, men who are 4s date chicks who are 8s (not to imply that you're a 4, but that doesn't really happen in many other cities that i've seen);

                            New York City - I miss the trees living here but Brooklyn is a tad greener for sure, most exciting place on the planet and great green markets/food/workouts;

                            Austin TX - no state income tax!!!!!!!!!!! amazing for self-employed peeps, almost worth the price of a condo just for tax reasons...but they're really strict about how many days/year you live there;

                            Boston - not my fave- way too freaking cold;

                            Charlottesville, VA - best place on the planet but not for a recent grad bc population is too small to be very interesting unless you've got family/like scamming on students;

                            Washington DC -great outdoor activities, lots of young professionals but transient population, horrible traffic and not great food options comparatively.

                            haven't lived but have enjoyed visiting: the magical land that is Santa Barbara (save it til you make your millions and then buy a house here with your honey and paddle board into the sunset with the dolphins).

                            also love Bay area outside of San Fran where the micro climates mean actual sun.

                            Denver is fab for young people too and gets mad sun, close to skiing.

                            San Diego is also bomb.

                            Most anywhere you go will have a higher cost of living than Alabama.

                            I have given location a *little bit* of thought and love trying out new cities. I still want to live in: SB, Austin and Charleston SC and possibly a mtn town in Colorado. For now I toggle bw small town VA and NYC.

                            Oh yeah: one vote for Greenville SC. It's home to many a pro cyclist for a reason. Amazing hills, low cost of living, great restaurants, nice people, good weather. NW georgia near Lake Lanier olympic center for flat water sports is the same...so is Princeton NJ. great NE town.

                            hahaha are you confused yet?

                            If so, perhaps subscribe to Outside magazine. they are forever doing the 25 best small towns etc. I grew up reading those reports...they sometimes spotlight great small towns you've never even heard of in Montana and Iowa.

                            finally, play around with the quiz on Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot

                            It'll get at a lot of your preferences. But at the end of the day...it's really about who you are and who you're with! If you can rock your biz from anywhere, the world is your oyster!

                            Good luck

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by laurenfritsch View Post
                              I grew up in Durham, North Carolina- gorgeous weather, still the South, and fabulous outdoorsy places throughout the state, depending on what kind of topography you like: flat/coastal, rolling hills or more mountainous out west. Asheville and Durham are both friendly to biz owners. (I'm a mobile entrepreneur.)

                              I've also lived in: Richmond, VA- great small town with fabulous food and huge crossfit community, last undiscovered southern city, river and trails, men who are 4s date chicks who are 8s (not to imply that you're a 4, but that doesn't really happen in many other cities that i've seen);

                              New York City - I miss the trees living here but Brooklyn is a tad greener for sure, most exciting place on the planet and great green markets/food/workouts;

                              Austin TX - no state income tax!!!!!!!!!!! amazing for self-employed peeps, almost worth the price of a condo just for tax reasons...but they're really strict about how many days/year you live there;

                              Boston - not my fave- way too freaking cold;

                              Charlottesville, VA - best place on the planet but not for a recent grad bc population is too small to be very interesting unless you've got family/like scamming on students;

                              Washington DC -great outdoor activities, lots of young professionals but transient population, horrible traffic and not great food options comparatively.

                              haven't lived but have enjoyed visiting: the magical land that is Santa Barbara (save it til you make your millions and then buy a house here with your honey and paddle board into the sunset with the dolphins).

                              also love Bay area outside of San Fran where the micro climates mean actual sun.

                              Denver is fab for young people too and gets mad sun, close to skiing.

                              San Diego is also bomb.

                              Most anywhere you go will have a higher cost of living than Alabama.

                              I have given location a *little bit* of thought and love trying out new cities. I still want to live in: SB, Austin and Charleston SC and possibly a mtn town in Colorado. For now I toggle bw small town VA and NYC.

                              Oh yeah: one vote for Greenville SC. It's home to many a pro cyclist for a reason. Amazing hills, low cost of living, great restaurants, nice people, good weather. NW georgia near Lake Lanier olympic center for flat water sports is the same...so is Princeton NJ. great NE town.

                              hahaha are you confused yet?

                              If so, perhaps subscribe to Outside magazine. they are forever doing the 25 best small towns etc. I grew up reading those reports...they sometimes spotlight great small towns you've never even heard of in Montana and Iowa.

                              finally, play around with the quiz on Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot

                              It'll get at a lot of your preferences. But at the end of the day...it's really about who you are and who you're with! If you can rock your biz from anywhere, the world is your oyster!

                              Good luck
                              THIS was AMAZING!
                              Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

                              http://www.hustleformuscle.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X