Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to move post college???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I am actually in the exact same boat, except without the business plans. My current plan is to embark on a nationwide journey, and hopefully I will be able to put myself up with some wwoofing, possibly for an an entire season. I think the best way to decide where to live is to just go there and feel out the vibes, and right now I don't have anything holding me back, so why not?

    Comment


    • #17
      Imma go ahead and throw in a bid for the northeast. Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, that area. Although I'll admit it can be small in some areas, there is no outdoors like it. Rolling mountains, clear lakes and rivers, beautiful scenery year round (yay for actual distinct seasons!) and people are fairly open to different lifestyles. It would be a cultural shift from Alabama no doubt, but I love it there! The particular city that comes to mind for me is Burlington, Vermont. A very young, sort of "hip city" that's quite unique. It's not as large as Boston or New York, but it's till got a city-ish feel.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
        I'm headed to Knoxville, TN in July. To me, that's the best place in the country to live. TN has a good economy, access to loads of farms, has a great food culture, and you can be as urban or rural as you want.
        Cool! I like the knoxville area too. If i did stay in the south, TN would be a top choice. My business is centered in the fitness industry, so my goal is to surround myself in a fitness oriented area.
        Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

        http://www.hustleformuscle.com

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Sambo712 View Post
          I am actually in the exact same boat, except without the business plans. My current plan is to embark on a nationwide journey, and hopefully I will be able to put myself up with some wwoofing, possibly for an an entire season. I think the best way to decide where to live is to just go there and feel out the vibes, and right now I don't have anything holding me back, so why not?
          Dude! You have it made! Thats so awesome. Do you have a facebook? Id like to chat with you some more. Facebook.com/cruncan
          Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

          http://www.hustleformuscle.com

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            Yep. Right here in America's Finest City, San Diego, CA. OK I'm a tad biased but I didn't notice how nice it was growing up until I moved away and then back and said, "Why didn't anybody tell me I was raised in paradise?"

            If you ever wander out this way, I would be happy to show you around.
            Awww, thank you SD was actually my second choice when my company was asking me which office to which I wanted to move. The only memories I have is of Sea World, but I'd love to go down there when I get the chance, to just chill out and walk/drive around the entire place
            My chocolatey Primal journey

            Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

            Comment


            • #21
              I wouldn't say I have it made just yet, but I'm definitely in the making mode. Lot's of options are available, but it's tough to narrow them down.

              P.S. Friend request sent.

              Comment


              • #22
                Knoxville is a nice city. Asheville and Greenville SC as well.

                If you like young, healthy people and want to be in a more affluent area that has a good cost of living, Raleigh NC or Charlotte is a good option. A lot of the problem with the "cool" cities is that jobs are scarce and people don't have disposable income.

                I love Wilmington NC aswell.

                http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Sambo712 View Post
                  My current plan is to embark on a nationwide journey, and hopefully I will be able to put myself up with some wwoofing, possibly for an an entire season. I think the best way to decide where to live is to just go there and feel out the vibes, and right now I don't have anything holding me back, so why not?
                  I took a 4 month road trip around the U.S. to figure out where to move to about 7ish years ago. I did some WWOOFing (which was a great experience; if you are interested in being in southern Minnesota, the farm in Blue Earth, MN was an amazing place to stay). Also did some camping and sleeping in the car when I ended up in places where I didn't have family or friends. I've had friends who used the couch surfing website, but I never used it myself.

                  Anyhow, there are LOTS of awesome places. Do you have a climate preference? Any other issues, like does it need to have good public transportation, etc...? This can really narrow down places. Also, how important is cost of living? Would you prefer a major city or large college town? If you give some details on these factors, I could narrow it down. If you have zero preference on these issues, my overall favorite places that I've considered moving to in no particular order are:

                  Portland, ME
                  Burlington, VT
                  Ithaca, NY
                  Minneapolis, MN
                  Bloomington, IN
                  Nashville, TN
                  Cleveland, OH
                  Asheville, NC
                  Athens, GA
                  Bellingham, WA
                  Portland, OR
                  San Francisco, CA
                  Tucson, AZ
                  *I've heard great things about Boulder, CO, but didn't go there myself. People who have been to Colorado all seem to love it.

                  I just moved to Buffalo, which is actually a really awesome city with a lot to offer, and is unbelievably cheap.
                  Last edited by BestBetter; 12-24-2012, 07:26 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                    I took a 4 month road trip around the U.S. to figure out where to move to about 7ish years ago. I did some WWOOFing (which was a great experience; if you are interested in being in southern Minnesota, the farm in Blue Earth, MN was an amazing place to stay). Also did some camping and sleeping in the car when I ended up in places where I didn't have family or friends. I've had friends who used the couch surfing website, but I never used it myself.

                    Anyhow, there are LOTS of awesome places. Do you have a climate preference? Any other issues, like does it need to have good public transportation, etc...? This can really narrow down places. Also, how important is cost of living? Would you prefer a major city or large college town? If you give some details on these factors, I could narrow it down. If you have zero preference on these issues, my overall favorite places that I've considered moving to in no particular order are:

                    Portland, ME
                    Burlington, VT
                    Ithaca, NY
                    Minneapolis, MN
                    Bloomington, IN
                    Nashville, TN
                    Cleveland, OH
                    Asheville, NC
                    Athens, GA
                    Bellingham, WA
                    Portland, OR
                    San Francisco, CA
                    Tucson, AZ
                    *I've heard great things about Boulder, CO, but didn't go there myself. People who have been to Colorado all seem to love it.

                    I just moved to Buffalo, which is actually a really awesome city with a lot to offer, and is unbelievably cheap.
                    Well... I want warm non-humid summers, mild winters. There need to be plenty of outdoor activities. The population would ideally be mostly fit and open minded. I would like to get out of the south and experience another part of the country. I hate flat places and love kayaking/ hiking. The economy needs to be strong for my business. Nice people. Is this paradise?? haha
                    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

                    http://www.hustleformuscle.com

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I'm looking for a friendly, healthy population, with good hiking and a reasonable cost of living.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I have to agree with whom ever suggested San Diego, with one caveat; you have to be upper middle class or higher economically to be viable there. Moved from Poway (suburb of San Diego) last year and sold my house, in a down market, for 600k. Nothing spectacular. Cookie cutter 2500 sq ft two story with postage stamp sized lot. In a better market should have gotten 700k plus. Unfortunately, this is going to be the case for a lot of cool places. Someone suggested Denver. There real estate prices have sky rocketed in the last ten years.

                        BTW, California taxes suck and are getting worse by the year. You'd wouldn't believe me if I told you how much I'm saving in overall in taxes a year. Serious, serious amounts of dough in state and real estate taxes.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by mikebike View Post
                          I have to agree with whom ever suggested San Diego, with one caveat; you have to be upper middle class or higher economically to be viable there. Moved from Poway (suburb of San Diego) last year and sold my house, in a down market, for 600k. Nothing spectacular. Cookie cutter 2500 sq ft two story with postage stamp sized lot. In a better market should have gotten 700k plus. Unfortunately, this is going to be the case for a lot of cool places. Someone suggested Denver. There real estate prices have sky rocketed in the last ten years.

                          BTW, California taxes suck and are getting worse by the year. You'd wouldn't believe me if I told you how much I'm saving in overall in taxes a year. Serious, serious amounts of dough in state and real estate taxes.
                          Where did you move to?
                          Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

                          http://www.hustleformuscle.com

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by cruncan View Post
                            Well... I want warm non-humid summers, mild winters. There need to be plenty of outdoor activities. The population would ideally be mostly fit and open minded. I would like to get out of the south and experience another part of the country. I hate flat places and love kayaking/ hiking. The economy needs to be strong for my business. Nice people. Is this paradise?? haha

                            Originally posted by mikebike View Post
                            I have to agree with whom ever suggested San Diego, with one caveat; you have to be upper middle class or higher economically to be viable there.
                            Sounds like where I live. I do agree that it is expensive to live here but, OTOH, jobs also pay better here. Also sometimes you get what you pay for.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by cruncan View Post
                              Well... I want warm non-humid summers, mild winters. There need to be plenty of outdoor activities. The population would ideally be mostly fit and open minded. I would like to get out of the south and experience another part of the country. I hate flat places and love kayaking/ hiking. The economy needs to be strong for my business. Nice people. Is this paradise?? haha
                              Psh, you're missing out. If you can afford to move around a little for a few years, I say pick a few different places and move. Work on your networking and travel when you can. And don't rule out places due to weather! You never know what kind of awesome primal experience you may have from extreme cold or extreme heat.

                              Northern New England (above MA) tends to be low cost of living, even in cities, but you'll get humid summers (though not as bad as the South, I've heard) and cold winters.
                              Depression Lies

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by cruncan View Post
                                Well... I want warm non-humid summers, mild winters. There need to be plenty of outdoor activities. The population would ideally be mostly fit and open minded. I would like to get out of the south and experience another part of the country. I hate flat places and love kayaking/ hiking. The economy needs to be strong for my business. Nice people. Is this paradise?? haha
                                The combination of mild winters and non-humid summers pretty much knocks out almost all of those options. The only areas in the U.S. I can think of that have both those factors are areas in the southwest (and possibly the magical Colorado, I think it has a pretty dry climate (but cold winters), but hopefully someone from there can correct me if I'm wrong on that).

                                Tucson has very mild winters, and very non-humid summers, but the catch is the summers are brutually hot. So, in terms of weather, there's probably got to be some compromise (like maybe humid summers are okay if it's for a shorter period of time than say a Georgia summer). In that case, places like Asheville could work.

                                You mentioned nightlife...are you looking for bars/clubs type of stuff, or are you also interested in cultural stuff like theater, arts, music scene, etc?

                                Economy needs to be strong...does this mean you need to be in an area where there is a lot of money, and cost of living isn't a factor?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X