Hypnotism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypnotism

Has anyone ever gone under hynotherapy? Did it help you succeed in your goal?
    I have a fear of heights. I feel like this fear holds me back sometimes. I don't like roller coasters and I would never sky dive. All fun things to do, but I WILL NOT do them, due to my fear. I was contemplating hypnotherapy to free me of my fear. What do you think?
    Last edited by cruncan; 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM.
    Hustle for Happiness, Hustle for Love, Hustle for Health, Hustle for Wealth, Hustle for Muscle

http://www.hustleformuscle.com

My son had hypnotherapy for needle phobia and it worked. He has a genetic condition which requires a fair amount of blood draws, we used to have to give him drugs to calm him down and even then he would panic, now he just rolls up his sleeve and it's no big deal.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Yes. It's a very effective technique. I'd like to work on this one thing in my life, but I can't even speak it, so it's hard to get hypnotherapy if you can't speak it.

Comment

Go watch the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode on it. Enough said.
        -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

I really want to muster self-hypnotic techniques, but so far no luck. Probably should try it more often, duh.
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
            Go watch the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode on it. Enough said.
            Yep coz there is no difference between stage hypnosis and hypnotherapy

We did a hypnobirthing course a while ago, was all very relaxing. I'm sure hypnotherapy would be effective tool to help in dealing with a fear of heights.
            You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

My daughter has a phobia to snakes so years ago when she was about 10-12 years old I tried an NLP thing for snake phobias. We used the movie theater...technique (The NLP Phobia Treatment - Fast Safe Relief - NLP Mentor). See relaxed in a recliner and I talked her through the imagination of being in a movie theater......

After we were through (took about 10 minutes) it happened that a Discovery Channel show about pythons came one. She sat there and looked at the TV and without my prompting she reached out and touch the tv screen snake. She looked at me and said "why did that work?" Just one problem, as the month went by her phobia came back and now she's as phobic as ever. If she sees a snake skin she'll cry. Maybe we should have repeated the NLP stuff to reinforce it. At the time it actually worked, though.
              Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I used hypnotherapy about 15 years ago to beat a paralyzing phobia of needles.

I worked in an outpatient mental health clinic at the time, and I was friendly with one of the therapists who worked there who was trained in hypnotherapy. He offered to teach me hypnosis to get rid of my phobia. It took several sessions - at first, it was all about learning the proper breathing techniques to get oneself into a deep state of relaxation, which does take some practice. After that part was mastered, we focused on using visualization techniques while in this deep relaxed state to retrain the body not to have a panic reaction anymore...this part took a while to build up to, but after a few sessions, I went from having anxiety attacks just from seeing the inner part of my elbow when wearing a t-shirt, to being able to have blood drawn with no problem.

The two most important factors in using hypnotherapy successfully are:
                1) Having a genuine desire to want it to work (for example, it won't work if you are trying to use it to quit smoking if you actually really don't want to stop smoking but are just trying to stop because you think you should)
                2) Working with a practiced, trained hypnotherapist who knows what they are doing.

I'm a big supporter of hypnotherapy.

The stuff you see during stage shows is completely fake; you will be in control of your thoughts and actions and completely aware of everything the whole time; it is impossible for anyone to use hypnosis to make you do something you don't want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                  Yep coz there is no difference between stage hypnosis and hypnotherapy

We did a hypnobirthing course a while ago, was all very relaxing. I'm sure hypnotherapy would be effective tool to help in dealing with a fear of heights.
                  Apparently you haven't seen the episode, they fully discredit hypnotherapists.

Comment

Well, that's interesting, because in psychotherapy circles, it's considered a viable method (usually used in tandem with talk therapy). And, it's worked for me, so . . . like homeopathy, I'll go with my experience over two (great) entertainer's show on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                      Well, that's interesting, because in psychotherapy circles, it's considered a viable method (usually used in tandem with talk therapy). And, it's worked for me, so . . . like homeopathy, I'll go with my experience over two (great) entertainer's show on the matter.
                      Lobotomies were considered a viable method in psychotherapy circles just a few decades ago... so was (and still is) Electroconvulsive therapy (shock therapy)... doesn't mean they are valid treatment methods that worked.

Comment

False comparison.

First, those treatments are painful, damage the body, and were often forced upon people as treatment.

hypnotherapy is doesn't harm the body, isn't painful, and is an active choice that one can choose to participate in or not as a part of their own therapy.

If they choose to do it, they only thing they waste if it is not viable is their money. And since people spend their money on all kinds of things that might not be worthwhile to me (ie, fancy watches, supplements, protein powder, big houses, big cars, fancy clothes, jewelry, etc), it's not that big of a deal to me if a person "wastes" their money on treatments that might work for them and/or that they feel will work for them and/or will work for them.

Big difference.

Comment

And for what it's worth, most insurance companies do not support hippotherapy (horse therapy) as a form of emotional, vocational, or physical therapy. . . because there's no evidence to support it. . . but guess what? it works really well for a lot of people, and most people will pay out of pocket for it. Anyone injured? No. Just pocketbooks. More injured than buying a fancy sports car? big diamond? No. So, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
                            Lobotomies were considered a viable method in psychotherapy circles just a few decades ago... so was (and still is) Electroconvulsive therapy (shock therapy)... doesn't mean they are valid treatment methods that worked.
                            The OP was asking for people who had personal experience with hypnotherapy. Why are you attempting to argue against something which you seem to have no experience with? Because you saw some video somewhere that debunked stage hypnosis (which everyone agrees is fake, not the point of the thread). Maybe you should entertain yourself on some other thread where you might have something to offer.

I've continued to use self-hypnosis even 15 years after first learning it, when encountering stressful situations that have the potential for provoking anxiety, and I find it invaluable. If that's not the definition of a valid treatment that works, I don't know what is.

Comment

Originally posted by cruncan View Post
                              Has anyone ever gone under hynotherapy? Did it help you succeed in your goal?
                              I have a fear of heights. I feel like this fear holds me back sometimes. I don't like roller coasters and I would never sky dive. All fun things to do, but I WILL NOT do them, due to my fear. I was contemplating hypnotherapy to free me of my fear. What do you think?
                              It might work. I don't know you have to go that route. Do you need to take your ordinary waking consciousness out of the equation?

How about gradually accustoming yourself to heights? You expose yourself to them bit by bit: as reactions arise, you quietly acknowledge them (much as someone would acknowledge irrelevant thoughts in meditation) rather than fighting them, but you don't give in to them. It's there: pass on. Maintain even breathing; allow any tension to go as you become aware of it. If you tackle this head on but gently, maybe it'll seem in retrospect not so bad.

But if you prefer to try hypnotherapy, why not?

There are other techniques you could use though -- if you want something that bypasses conscious attempts to deal with the problem. I suspect "tapping" would be one:

Tapping.com - Free EFT Videos - Emotional Freedom Technique

Comment

Working...
                              X