Any Aspies out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
    I think this just makes you a Republican.
    +1 Yeah, sounds like an excuse for people to diagnose their lack of openness and treating other people like shit as a disease.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by jmday View Post
      Food choice change was the biggest. No more IBS, no heart burn. No sugar headaches. Ditching grains took awhile but haven't had them in over year. I used to try to make substitutes, now just don't care.

My goal for reaching out to this community was to see if there were other things people fine tuned that helped manage triggers.

I am figuring out that the exercise really has to be a bigger part. I had knee surgery this summer and it has been slow coming back beyond just walking. Only now can get into the gym for weights and was released for sprints. So it is funny to come full circle back to primal, discover something new about my self (like I am really different and no, I don't understand you, and no, you can't fix me). It is truly exciting.

Valmason. Sure love to dialog.
      Tell me more . What were you eating before? What kind of changes have you seen overall? You sound so confident, like you have truly found your place. I would love to know more of how that happened for you.
      You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
      height 5'3
      SW 215 lbs
      CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
      LW 172 lbs
      GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
        +1 Yeah, sounds like an excuse for people to diagnose their lack of openness and treating other people like shit as a disease.
        Do you realize what you just said also fits that description?
        Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

This does concern me Drumroll. For many kids the only way they will get help is through the public schools so it will be interesting to see what happens with one more hoop to have to jump through. I love my job and I do it because I truly believe in education. I am not blind to hte problems in the school system however. Most are caused by those making the decisions who have never sat in a classroom and really don't give a damn about anything other than money.

Oops...sorry. My ongoing rant. In short I agree with you Drumroll, it is concerning. We will just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks for what everyone is saying! It's important and can help others!

On a related subject though, what opinion do you guys have on the change in diagnostic criteria coming in the4 DSM-V? Apparently PDD, Asperger's, ect. are all out the door. The only diagnoses that will exist anymore is "Autistic Spectrum Disorder." In addition, they will be increasing the number of symptoms you must match in order to recieve a diagnoses, so getting a diagnoses will be much more difficult for some. I was a little annoyed to hear this because there will be a LOT of people who could use some real help and services that won't be able to get them just because they don't meet "every last criteria" necessary in order to receive the diagnoses they need to get any useful services. Ugh.
          You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
          height 5'3
          SW 215 lbs
          CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
          LW 172 lbs
          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
            Do you realize what you just said also fits that description?
            Yes. I just wanted to be blunt and frank and throw that out there.

I mean, you could basically add a label of a disease to any personality trait nowadays, and they will diagnose you and put you on meds for anything. I think it's really up to a person to be able to exhibit some self-control and just deal with the personality that they've been born with instead of using a disease as an excuse.

I'm not necessarily blaming those on this board of doing this, but I think in general, it's really annoying that people are starting to get lazy about not taking responsibility for their own actions.

Comment

Has any one tried the GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) diet? If so did you see any changes?
              Home Page
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Ha-ha. People in here are pretending autism doesn't exist. Love it!
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

There are defects in everybody.

Comment

But not everybody is on the autism spectrum.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

So? They can be on another spectrum.

Comment

Of course.

Finding out I am somewhat autistic has been explanatory, liberating, and freeing. I no longer have to wonder. I am free to override some instincts and play the game better. I still hate people on the whole for the social terrors wrought, but now I know it's okay to be alone. I don't have to feel like a lost, confused idiot anymore. I've met someone just like me and we're happily married, alone, in the woods. Sort of.

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation.
                        The uglified ducky. - YouTube
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

No, I completely get you there. I really do congratulate you on living with it for so long and dealing with it the way you have.

I am just helping to point out the earlier point that some people take it and use it as an excuse that they should have things easier just because they have a disease.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                            There are defects in everybody.
                            ^This
                            -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Who's looking for handouts? What sort of excuse-making lazy scumbag tax-increasing thieves would take a serious condition like autism and exploit it? Sadly, plenty of filthy scoundrels who think they deserve to live for free, they will. And that's sad for people who actually need the help. I'm lucky I was admitted to state residential rehab and taught how to think. I'd be dead otherwise. I DID need the help, ONCE, whereupon I learned how to fish. But fishing class is hard to find, expensive, and there are few qualified teachers. All the smug rich people who talk about teaching a man to fish are the same people who are too busy to teach fishing class. So you've got thieves on both sides, the rich and the poor, and people who want the truth but can't find it stuck in the middle grasping for answers.

I won't pretend there aren't poor people who abuse the system, I've known some.
                              I won't pretend there aren't rich people who help nobody, I've known far more.
                              But for those with no grasp on life, I have sympathy. They only want to be happy and find food, maybe warmth. Don't pretend there aren't honest people who just need a little education to learn how to build a life and become productive. Honest people like me get born to useless parents and let out to pasture far too early. I was given up on, a lost cause until I got arrested enough times that a judge offered me rehab. Of course I took it! I wanted to be better. I was that kid begging for money to buy weed and beer. I was so lost and confused I just wanted to numb everything away. Now I know a better life, thanks to tax-funded state rehab. The church never taught me how to live. My parents didn't know how. So rest assured, some of the people who need the help are the same ones getting it.
                              Last edited by Knifegill; 12-20-2012, 03:34 PM. Reason: missing letter
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

No one is asserting that autism doesn't exist.

Instead, I would say that the symptoms that were listed in yoru post, Knifegill, were vague enough to cover a lot of just really normal people. I do just about everything in that list you posted, but there's no way I'm "on the spectrum" -- it just doesn't figure.

Later lists, which had much more 'severe' symptoms, are more akin to what I understand the disorder to be, and knowing both aspies and autistic children and adults, I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near on the spectrum, even with the most high-functioning.

It's not that it doesn't exist. I disagree with some of the more vague definitions. (I'm also not saying that You aren't aspie or on the spectrum. I cannot say. But I wouldn't use the list you gave as a diagnosis for it.)

Comment

Working...
                                X