No announcement yet.

Some thoughts on cutting back on alcohol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I want to serious about dropping body fat I have to cut back on drinking. Even one or two classes of wine gets me to snacking before bed. My enthusiasm for exercise also declines. Over the Hollidays I got into the habit of one of two glasses a night and managed to regain some weight.

It stands to reason that if fructose affects weight gain alcohol would too since liver metabolism treats them in much the same way
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
      If I want to serious about dropping body fat I have to cut back on drinking. Even one or two classes of wine gets me to snacking before bed. My enthusiasm for exercise also declines. Over the Hollidays I got into the habit of one of two glasses a night and managed to regain some weight.

It stands to reason that if fructose affects weight gain alcohol would too since liver metabolism treats them in much the same way
      I agree. I recently stopped drinking Monday through Thursday as an experiment (about 3 months ago). I've noticed that going to bed after a couple of glasses of wine seems to have absolutely no impact on my sleep or my feeling of wellness. Regardless of how much or little I drink, I sleep like a rock, get my 8 - 9 hours, and feel fine in the morning.

At the same time, if I drink wine, it is a trigger food for me, and *encourages* me to snack. That is why I stopped during the week as I'm trying to really lock down my diet. If I don't have a glass of wine with/after dinner, my IF is easy. I don't think about it, and all is good. But if I do have a glass or two, regardless of what I'm doing, I get the urge to snack. Ugh.

--Me

Comment

Originally posted by bdlee73 View Post
        If I have more than one glass of beer or glass of wine, I don't sleep well and my body feels "blah". Has anyone else had similar experiences?
        This is a normal response. Alcohol messes with your sleep cycles, I can't remember the details.
        http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
          This is a normal response. Alcohol messes with your sleep cycles, I can't remember the details.
          I don't know about the physiology of it, but alcohol is a stimulant so I'm sure that contributes to the restlessness.

If I have a glass or two of wine, I'm not impacted as much as beer. It makes me think that the type of carbs in beer (wheat!!!) has become very disagreeable to me - especially since I have beer about twice a month now. I'll just go back to herbal tea in the evenings.

Comment

I know I need to dial back the wine a bit, like only weekends. My 1-2 glasses over dinner easily become 3-4 over the evening, which leads to snacking, etc. I realize that the last 5 lbs could likely be addressed by ditching the wine for a while. The real challenge for me is to see if ditching wine will improve sleep quality, which has never been really good for me. I just wish it wasn't soo tasty, wish I didn't relish the mild buzz and relaxation, wish I had something to replace the tactile habit of holding and sipping wine, wish it wasn't so much a part of my social engagement....

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
              wish I had something to replace the tactile habit of holding and sipping wine, wish it wasn't so much a part of my social engagement....
              I've become a fan of herbal tea and enjoy a cup of Chamomile tea in the evenings.

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
                I know I need to dial back the wine a bit, like only weekends. My 1-2 glasses over dinner easily become 3-4 over the evening, which leads to snacking, etc. I realize that the last 5 lbs could likely be addressed by ditching the wine for a while. The real challenge for me is to see if ditching wine will improve sleep quality, which has never been really good for me. I just wish it wasn't soo tasty, wish I didn't relish the mild buzz and relaxation, wish I had something to replace the tactile habit of holding and sipping wine, wish it wasn't so much a part of my social engagement....
                Sounds just like me. I have had some mental luck with drinking mineral water with lemon out of my fancy wine glass. I don't get the buzz or relaxation, but at least I have my glass.
                Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
                Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                X