No announcement yet.

Cutting boards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have both. The plastic ones all go into the dishwasher with each use, that wash method works much better for plastic than hand-washing. I have five people whacking away at stuff in the kitchen at my house, and we have a stack of plastic boards, from small to large, the largest still juuuust fitting into the dishwasher.

The wooden ones are usually pulled out for holiday roast slicing.

By chopping feel, I prefer wood, though. A good wooden board is sweeeet. But if your mom really wouldn't be able to tell the difference, or really wouldn't care much about things like feel or aesthetics, just get a sturdy plastic one - something with a bit of heft, so it doesn't go sliding around the table or counter. Wood does take a bit of care, she might not like that, in addition to changing her chopping style.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I use a glass one now, cause it looks cool (I'm weird like that). I used to have a couple of different sized plastic boards that I used almost daily for 10+ years and I'm still around to tell you about it.

p.s. and I totally cut and chop food in the air sometimes.

Comment

Bamboo is easy to clean--often simple faucet pressure is enough. But it is fragile so don't press hard with strong knives. Also, a board with gutters and feet is easier to use.
        37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post
          I use a glass one now, cause it looks cool (I'm weird like that). I used to have a couple of different sized plastic boards that I used almost daily for 10+ years and I'm still around to tell you about it.
          Glass cutting boards are hard on knives. I use them to serve sushi.

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about how bad it sucks storing them and what a general pain on the balls they are- I just clean the counter under stuff before and after.
            "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Comment

Originally posted by Graycat View Post

p.s. and I totally cut and chop food in the air sometimes.
              glass is utter hell on knives, but most people don't have very sharp knives at home anyway.

wood cutting boards will be destroyed if put in the dishwasher. they cannot withstand the detergent nor the force of the super hot water. wipe clean with a damp cloth and rub with mineral oil every now and again and they last forever.

i have butcher block counters that i LOVE and look great. no cutting boards needed.

to the op, the idea is generous, but changing your mom's habits may prove a challenge.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
              X