Are you ever your own Santa?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you ever your own Santa?

Do you give yourself gifts during the holidays? I kind of accidentally started this for myself as a young woman one year when I bought myself a black cashmere sweater while I was shopping for my other gifts for others. I also heard something once that stated, "Give yourself a gift every day," and it's a philosophy I like.

This year, my list is pretty much kitchen, because after living here for a year and a half, I've decided that though I can create some pretty good things with my barebones set-up, I want to expand my repertoire a bit.

Deep fryer (yes frying is okay, I searched the blog)
    Good knives (and sharpener)
    Cast iron pan
    Immersion blender
    Pressure cooker (because I have the patience of a gnat and want to start getting serious about bone broths).

So, any other self-Santas out there?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

i'm always my own santa. This year i'm upgrading my phone and get a vaccum.

Comment

Oh that sounds lovely... but no. LOL. I hate spending money on me, it's a bad habit and it drives my husband crazy. He keeps trying to buy me stuff for Christmas and I practically had to yell at him last night and say, "NO, I do not want that, stop it!" I'll treat myself about once a year with a professional (not the cheap cuts) cut/color/eyebrow thingy done.
      Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

I buy myself stuff constantly, just now, Uggs slippers, Nordstroms, 33% off, yay

Comment

If I'm Christmas shopping and there is something nice for me, I'll buy it. I bought some shoes that were 1/2 off while shopping for my boyfriend. I had never seen these particular shoes in my size at any store (except online, but I didn't want to buy shoes online) and I've been wanting these shoes for a year or more so it was something I could not pass up.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I confess that I bought a TomTom Club CD today while I was shopping for a Christmas present for my Dad.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Paleo-bunny I used to love the TomTom Club!
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Sometimes. This year I spent quite a bit on my family, so I didn't get anything for myself, but after the holidays I'll probably spend some coin on me. Last year I picked up some things for myself while shopping for others.

Comment

Have you stopped lovin them urban forager?

I love Talking Heads and have only ever seen TomTom Club on the Stop Making Sense Video.

I equally adore David Byrne and Tina Weymouth.

I had to restrain myself from buying 2 TomTom Club CDs.
                  F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I saw the title of the thread and immediately thought to myself "I used to have a bowl full of jelly, yes." LOL

As to the actual question, not usually, no. This year is the first year I've been on my own and I don't expect any presents from anyone else ... so I did by myself a small something. I don't know if I'll make it a yearly thing or not but it was nice. Still, I'm going to miss opening presents on Christmas day ... alas, growing old some things must go by the wayside.
                    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

i get myself things when i feel like an emo kid, sooo i guess so
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

Not so much at Christmas, because I never know what someone else is getting me. Around my birthday, on the other hand, I'll buy myself all sorts of stuff.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

Kinda. Gotta say a couple things first though...

1) electric pressure cooker. I love pressure cookers and have been using them (to make broth amongst other things) for decades. I have several regular pressure cookers. Send me your address and I'll send you one. You can't, however, have my electric pressure cooker. You can't have the electric I gave my parents either.

2) Standard knife sharpener + good knives = bad knives. Seriously, you are better off with a steel and paying others to do real sharpening. The exceptions are very high end $400+ electric sharpeners, fairly expensive ($50+) manual jig sharpeners as sold by lansky and a few others, or lot of skill and some whetstones. I have some good knives and I'd consider using them on someone who passed them through the average "knife sharpener".

Now that I have that out of the way.... I do, usually. I think for single/living alone people like me it's basically inevitable. I don't, nobody will. This year I haven't really been in a gifting/holiday spirit so I've only bought one ($20ish) gift for my parents, and nothing for myself or anyone else, but most years I get myself one thing I wouldn't normally buy. Sometimes I end up "regifting" my autogifted items though.
                          Last edited by Him; 12-16-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

No. But only because I am an impatient thing and I get stuff throughout the year, for myself and for others, just 'cause I can never wait until Christmas, so I don't feel much pressure on me to come up with serious goods at Christmastime as I have treated myself enough through the year. Also, I have always downplayed the material aspect of this holiday here at the house, in the interest of keeping us all humble and focused a bit less on the loot Santa might bring, so it feels a bit hypocritical for me to buy stuff for myself in December. With the possible exception of an anniversary gift as hubby and I were married in December, but hubby usually gets called off on a business trip at this time of year and then we both forget.
                            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I'm my only Santa :/
                              -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Working...
                              X