Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will depriving kids of sugary treats make them fat adults?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I let my kiddo have a couple of treats a day, and on a special occasions, like b-day parties, I am sure she has far more. I find it more important to make healthy food appealing to her, involve her in cooking and understand the difference between hunger and craving; generally healthy and generally unhealthy options, and enjoy being active. She is 6 after all, and she can worry about the finer points when/if she actually has problems with her weight.

My mom was on me since I was twelve about not growing fat/being fat. I never did grow horribly fat, but I was overweight for a while after I had my child. I am wondering if it had been any different if the food was not snatched away from me & I was not endlessly lectured to not eat pasta, bread etc in conjunction with being lectured on how clumsy and hopelessly nonathletic I am.
    Last edited by Leida; 12-17-2012, 08:41 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I feel like it's a lot more complicated than ate/didn't eat sugary food. HOW it was restricted, or not restricted, is important. I think my friend's eating habits had more of an impact on me.
      Depression Lies

Comment

I'm 44 and during my childhood we had cookies and candy around
        the house.

I also received an allowance that I would blow at 7-11 on 4 candy bars
        a day, that would be consumed on the roof of my elementary school with
        my best friend.

We had soda in the house, but it was diet, and tasted nasty, so we never
        drank too much of that (tab) until Diet Coke got their act together and made
        something palatable.

When I moved out at 18 I never went gangbusters on crap, but I could have.

It was just always around as a kid, so I never saw it as a novelty.

My husband's parents were never "anti-crap" but they were not brought up on it
        (farmer's children) and never had it, so my husband's parents never bought it.

My husband never went gangbusters on it when he became an adult, and even
        now, when I pork down a couple candy bars, he says "I'm just not a big sweets eater".

Yeah, I know.

Now, my OWN children, 7&10, have the opportunity to eat candy and cookies if they like
        at any time.

The 7yo couldn't care less, but the 10yo will starve for weeks to get his grubby little mits
        on contraband.

That said, even when it's open season (like now, holiday time) they (he, the 10yo specifically) does
        not gorge himself on any of it.

Halloween - both kids trick or treated for THREE HOURS and got ELEVEN POUNDS EACH of VERY
        toothsome candy.

You know who dug mostly into it? ME.

I finally threw out the rest of it yesterday in the garbage can. About 16lbs.

My 7yo weighs 45lbs and my 10yo weighs 55lbs. Definitely not gluttons on crap by
        any means, and will never be out of their freaking car seats/boosters until they're 18, I'm sure.

The husband and I were the same way.

Anyway, that said, there is a Mormon family on our court, with five children, who are my
        children's friends. They do NOT get unlimited candy, cookies or crackers at their disposal.

So, when they are over here, they have a one track mind to eat as much shit as possible before
        they go home.

One little girl sat in my 7yo's room just STUFFING her face with TONS of halloween candy while
        my son looked on, agape.

Before anyone says anything, like how could I let them come over here and eat all this crap, their
        mother and I are best friends, and she told me that she couldn't care less WHAT they eat when
        they're over here. So that's why I let them.

I have no idea what they'll become when they're adults, but for now, every one of the kids are VERY
        tiny and skinny. Not in a bad way, but just in a genetics way.

So who knows if they'll go balls out on crap when they move out of the house, but I do see, for them,
        that when they have access to it, they strap it on like a feedbag.

Anyway, there's my story.

Julie

p.s. case in point about my own kids - I baked cookies saturday night - recipe
        was for 96 cookies. Right. I made 35 BIG ones. Kids had about 5 each total,
        between saturday and sunday, husband had maaaaaybe three, and you know who
        ate the rest? ME?!?!?!? There are only four f*cking cookies left because I SUCK and
        I have no off button.

But hey, speaks volumes of my children....... yanno, if I have to look at it in a positive
        way.

So now, here I sit, after two days of Cookie Debauchery, wheat and oat bloated. Grrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann View Post
          I'm wondering about this. My mom never bought sugary snacks, or chips or any of those yummy things my friends all seemed to have in their house. My dad was the baker of treats but was only allowed to bake once or twice a month. Whenever we did have treats in the house we gorged on them. Food was low fat, no/low salt and not very good. Boiled chicken breast with no salt and a little pepper with a side of iceberg, tomato and a piece of wonder bread, anyone?When I moved out I was able to buy my own food, food with flavor! Of course I gained weight and even though I eventually switched to very healthy home cooked meals, kept gaining. Whenever there is candy or cookies around I want to eat all of it. It's a very powerful compilation that I'm still working on. The drive to eat all the treats near me has gotten much better since going primal.

Anyway I'm wondering if by strictly limiting or all together eliminating traditional kid treats from my children's diets, will they leave my house as adults and binge on junk? It seems like all the kids I grew up with that were surrounded by junk are thin and healthy adults. They aren't tempted by junk because its always been all around them.
          I think that if any adult eating habits had their root in your mother's food provisions, it would be the absence of fat calories, not junk food, that caused your sense of deprivation. A few avocados for lunch and some bacon fat probably would have fixed that chicken...ugh

Comment

This is a tricky one... I do know some kids who weren't allowed to eat ANY junk who, when they grew up, went all out and ate what they liked (and drank copious amounts of alcohol etc.). I try and take a more moderate approach with the kids. I don't ban them outright from junk food, although I don't have any in the house. I do let the kids bake themselves treats occasionally, though (yup, non primal stuff with flour... BUT at least the ingredients aren't as bad as the crap you get in boxed treats, like... they know to use real butter instead of margarine or vegetable oil).

I have just seen too many instances of people who were "not allowed" to do particular things as kids going all out as adults and doing them! I prefer to educate my kids, but let them make their own decisions. Fortunately, while they still enjoy treats, they're horrified by the thought of eating margarine and other fake "food". My oldest son went away for a term and all they had to eat was margarine (well...obviously they ate other food but they had no butter lol) and when he got home he couldn't WAIT to eat real butter again! He also moaned about how many cheap starchy foods they had to eat (he shared a group house with about 5 other boys and they had to plan their own meals and budget etc. and it seemed there was a lot of bread and pasta!!).

Comment

You can't predict your children's diet as they get older. My mum has always cooked good whole foods though it wasn't primal. I've gotten healthier over my teenage years. I stopped drinking fruit juice and dropped sweets entirely. I'm the healthiest person in the family being fit, thin and good diet.
              My younger sister gorged on sweets and junk food and became 170 pounds at something like 5'6. She has minor ly tweaked her diet but she is a fat advocate.
              My youngest sister eats healthy most of the time as does my younger brother.

Do your best for your children and hope they make informed choices when they grow up.
              http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

When I was a child, we always had cookies or cake in the house--but not chips or candy. In the summer, ice cream from the ice cream man or a cone at the ice cream shop was common. My mother and father both had a sweet tooth, and my sister and I were not forbidden anything. So even though we consumed a lot of sugar, at least there was no hypocrisy on the subject or mental stress. Today my sister and I, into our 50s, both manage to keep our weight at a healthy point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann View Post
                  Anyway I'm wondering if by strictly limiting or all together eliminating traditional kid treats from my children's diets, will they leave my house as adults and binge on junk? It seems like all the kids I grew up with that were surrounded by junk are thin and healthy adults. They aren't tempted by junk because its always been all around them.
                  Using one family I know as an example..."junk" foods and any kind of sugar were banned in the house due to "allergies" and "behavioral issues". As adults, one offspring is ruled by their "inner brat" and is morbidly obese and lives on nothing but starchy/fatty/sweet garbage, and tons of it, and blames the world for their life problems and weight issues. The other offspring is completely ADHD type A, and has an addictive personality and tends toward bingeing and yoyo-ing, and is only in the normal range because of a health-obsessed, fat-phobic spouse.

We've raised our kids to *educate* them about food. They have a clear understanding of the difference between Food, Snacks, and Junk. And they get their fair share of junk -- but far less than the average kid. If my kids didn't eat a wide variety of healthy foods every day, they wouldn't get the occasional Slurpee or Big Mac. A couple of bags of chips in this house are devoured instantly -- so I don't keep them in the house. A batch of homemade cookies or a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread are gone in 24 hours -- so I dont' bake often. They get just as excited about juice boxes as they do about canned pop in the house. It is a BIG DEAL to stop for ice cream or donuts, or order a milkshake at a restaurant.

So there are no "bad" foods or "banned" foods at our house. They understand that these snack and junk foods are to be enjoyed and looked forward too -- as occasional treats, not part of their everyday diet. The only exception would be good quality ice cream, which I stock up on when its on sale. When we have it around, they eat it for dessert most nights.

We look at in on a good, better, best scale. The best foods are always here and always available without limits. The better foods are frequently in the house, and available in moderation, and the good foods are here occasionally and once they're gone, they're gone.
                  Sandra
                  *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I would say no. My parents never had candy or soda in the house. When I was a kid I resented that, but when I became an adult I didn't have the desire to eat those things. I have maybe 1 soda a year. It's just not my thing. I think that's largely because I didn't have that stuff as a kid.
                    High Weight: 225
                    Weight at start of Primal: 189
                    Current Weight: 174
                    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

A great way to turn fat kids on a crappy SAD diet into eating disordered adults is to put them on a CW weight loss diet from the time they are little kids until they leave home. I know several people this happened to who ended up morbidly obese.

Comment

Like others have said, don't try to deprive kids of candy. They are kids, for God's sake, they burn tons of calories. And if you treat it like something taboo, they will gorge on it when they get it. (I have seen this; nothing could be less healthy, mentally speaking.) They will resent you for not giving them candy when all the other kids get to eat it, which is part of childhood. They will say as adults that it didn't do a damn thing to stop them from liking sugar.

However, don't give them sugary cereals or chewing gum during the week, or put sugar in their tea or give them a constant supply of lemonade. What you should do is limit the candy to Fridays and Saturdays. Give them a bag of candy on Friday and tell them this is supposed to last until Saturday too. Tell them why you limit the sugar - it is better for their teeth and health. When they understand that, they will feel superior to the other kids who gorge on sugar, and be on your side.

Ask a dentist. You will hear that eating sugar every now and then is just fine. The point is to not make it an everyday thing.

Comment

I have 2 kids, 3 y.o. and 20 months old. When I see how they move around, involving their whole body like I will never be able to do, I have no problem giving them treats (I bake them). The only thing is: these treats are based on nuts and seeds flour, xylitol for the sweetening, fruits (especially berries), dark chocolate sweetened with xylitol, etc. They don't eat normal sugar, they don't eat chemical cocktails called candies or fruit juices that I have not made at home. When they do eat some junk, the payback is almost immediate and my 3 y.o. is already aware of the difference (in taste but also in impact on his digestion). He hardly ask for fruit juice or cake when my in-laws are having the processed junk they enjoy (or are hooked on) when the stuff is on the table. My son asks for macadamia nuts, water, pieces of fresh apple or strawberries ... and I have NOT forced him to go for these treats, he alone makes the difference - let's see if it lasts as he grows older

Comment

Originally posted by Erik W View Post
                            Like others have said, don't try to deprive kids of candy. They are kids, for God's sake, they burn tons of calories. And if you treat it like something taboo, they will gorge on it when they get it. (I have seen this; nothing could be less healthy, mentally speaking.) They will resent you for not giving them candy when all the other kids get to eat it, which is part of childhood. They will say as adults that it didn't do a damn thing to stop them from liking sugar.

However, don't give them sugary cereals or chewing gum during the week, or put sugar in their tea or give them a constant supply of lemonade. What you should do is limit the candy to Fridays and Saturdays. Give them a bag of candy on Friday and tell them this is supposed to last until Saturday too. Tell them why you limit the sugar - it is better for their teeth and health. When they understand that, they will feel superior to the other kids who gorge on sugar, and be on your side.

Ask a dentist. You will hear that eating sugar every now and then is just fine. The point is to not make it an everyday thing.
                            Providing kids with bags of candy on the premise that "kids need candy" is not much different from feeding them exclusively burgers, fries, chicken nuggets, and pizza. None of this is real food, nor healthy, nor necessary in any way. It is a very modernist American attitude that kids need a special diet that is high in junk, and not providing them whatever crap advertising agencies are pushing on them will damage their delicate little psyches.

Comment

Hi Ann!

I don't think there is an easy "sugarless kid equals bingeing adult" rule thingy. I think it depends a lot on what else was being cooked in the house and the emotional conditions at mealtimes, the teachings (overt and subtle alike) of the parents on body image and nutrition, any food allergies or intolerances and how those are handled, peer and media pressure as it relates to food and "treats", and the individualness of each kid in personality and metabolism and tastes in food... So - lots of variables.

In your case, I think Primal is helping because you are finally getting truly nutritious food, eaten joyfully, that is delicious. All three are important in the food and nutrition training of a kid. Pass that on to your kids, and they won't have the same negative food attitudes as you did, which can only benefit them!
                              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I kind of dig the dysnutrition theory. I was fed a vague CW healthy diet--no soda or candy, but no eggs or butter either. Meat was always skinless chicken because seafood has mercury and beef was an illicit thrill. So lots of "adult" brown cereal, juice, and frozen pasta dinners. Not much fresh produce because they didn't know what to do with it.

After moving out I definitely had a "prison break" mentality and gorged on anything/everything for a few years.
                                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
                                X