Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When making friends do you prefer quality or quantity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When making friends do you prefer quality or quantity?

As I examine the people I've met, it seems like the majority of them focus on quantity (making many friends/acquaintances) without investing a lot of time and energy into most of them (seeing them less frequently, not bending over backwards to help them, etc...)

I prefer to have fewer friends, but for them to be of higher quality, meaning that I'm happy to invest more time and energy into helping them out, knowing that I can count on them in the future, if needed. As the years go on, I'm starting to feel like I'm in a dwindling minority.

Do you prefer to have more friends, but see them less often OR have fewer friends but see them more often?

Quality. My hubby and sister were my only "friends" for years. Only this past year do I actually have girlfriends and I keep it that way. Two up north and my best friend is 2hrs away from me. We talk almost every day on the phone, and all 4 of us run an etsy store together. Love them to bits. I'm 26, it's about time I have some non-related friends LOL!
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

Quality... whats the point of putting all that time & effort into a bunch of sub par friendships? better to put it into 1 or 2 really good relationships that will be their for you when you need it.

Oh and I hate Facebook and the "I have a million friends ive never actually met" mentality.
      Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
        Oh and I hate Facebook and the "I have a million friends ive never actually met" mentality.
        YES! If I don't actually *talk* to you, there is no reason for you to be on my friends list. It's not a game.
        Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

I go for quality.

i.e. people (or animals) with whom I feel a synergy, a mutual respect and will to gain or improve an understanding. And someone who I feel can teach me something wise. Another beautiful soul.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Both.

I'm a businessperson/entrepreneur by heart, and with that, I'd like to have access to a large network of people. Doesn't mean I have to be close to them; I just prefer to have all of them as friends, with resources I, or someone else in my network, can tap into.

Then I have a few really good friends with whom I can describe as "quality" friends. People who I can trust to slap me in the face when I need it, who I can enjoy my time with, and who I can be a support network with.
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Quality. I am still running around with the same small group of tried-and-true high school egghead buddies I had back then, and most of us even date from late elementary school and junior high. Some of us have married each other (I married a high school friend and my best friend married another junior high friend in this group), even.

Some of my family, I consider friends as well, (but most not) because it isn't given that just because you are related you automatically like, respect, and help each other.

If you aren't my friend, or my family, you are an acquaintance. An acqaintance of some familiarity, perhaps, but still an acquaintance.
              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I prefer low quantity, low quality. Yeah, that's not a typo.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Spot the introvert.
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

i perfer quality. Right now i would state that i'm friendless but do have a lot of aquaintances. It takes a lot for me to meet and trust people. I almost have panic attacks when people ask me to go out. I believe i'm introverted to an extreme and not sure how to change. My socializing skills are nonexsistant and small talk drives me insane.

Comment

Oh phigment I am so much like that. The older I get the more I hate it but I can't figure out how to change. I prefer quality but even that seems hard to come by. Or maybe it is just me
                      You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                      height 5'3
                      SW 215 lbs
                      CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                      LW 172 lbs
                      GW 125ish lbs

Comment

I'm a gregarious introvert. When people meet me, they think I must love socializing because I'm a gabber and I also know that if I get people to talk about themselves, they'll just keep talking. But in truth, my favorite company is me. I also like going out alone, especially things that most people don't like going out alone for like bar hopping or out for dinner. I invariably meet interesting people.

Occasionally, I get the feeling that I should like people more because all the "science" says that good social interactions are one key to long life. So I make these efforts to talk more to the neighbors or whatever. This usually results in me locking myself in my home for a few days. Can't help it, people in real life are like energy suckers.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I much prefer quality over quantity. I turned fifty yesterday and there was a scant few friends who even remembered my birthday... but as I'm not twelve years-old anymore it didn't bother me. I don't need cake. Really.

Comment

Happy Birthday! I would bake you a cake if I were closer

Originally posted by JEL62 View Post
                            I much prefer quality over quantity. I turned fifty yesterday and there was a scant few friends who even remembered my birthday... but as I'm not twelve years-old anymore it didn't bother me. I don't need cake. Really.
                            You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                            height 5'3
                            SW 215 lbs
                            CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                            LW 172 lbs
                            GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Quality.
                              I interact with a lot of people, but only those closest to me are "friends". The rest are "acquaintances". If I don't feel strongly for them, they're not a "friend".
                              I think my three closest friends were two of my dogs and my fiance! lol

So yeah, I'm social. But I wouldn't call even a hundredth of the people I socialize with my "friends".
                              --
                              Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                              I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X