Health Care Professionals - gawd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Care Professionals - gawd

Kaoticturtle's rant about her RD mum and her horrible advice brings this to mind. Recently my husband had some minor knee surgery. It required seeing many, many 'Health Care Professionals'.

At the local clinic where his preliminary tests were done the nurse practicioner was very plump, the RN was so obese she had trouble walking. At the state-of-the-art surgery center in the city, with a huge staff of 'Health Care Professionals', from check-in to roll-out after recovery I noted exactly THREE people who were not overweight; his surgeon, his anesthesiologist and one of the nurses.

Now, these folks are fantastic mechanics. Artists actually, being able to repair a bit of torn tissue in a human knee with just two tiny holes and send the patient home that afternoon. I'm in awe. If I break bones or puncture an artery GET ME A DOCTOR! But for nutritional advice I'll pass. I swear to God if that giant nurse had said anything to my husband about nutrition I'd have snapped a gasket. It's like getting mental health advice from Charlie Manson fer crissakes.

what i don't get is that these people had to go to school to do what they do. not only school, but hard school. that suggests a level of open mindedness and curiosity that towers over a lot of other people. why are they still overweight/unhealthy? maybe it's a lack of awareness, maybe they think they're not exercising enough, maybe they think they just can't get healthy, but something is keeping these health care professionals from behaving in a way one would expect to see in health care professionals.
    i could be making a huge assumption in thinking that they want to get healthier. those that are though...it baffles me that they think there's only one way to do something.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Knowledge is one thing, the ability to put it into practice and the willpower to resist temptation is another. I know peanut butter is bad for me, but it still calls my name, and if I didn't have the willpower to stop myself I'd be twice what I weigh.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Medical school curriculum treat nutrition as a side-show, though this is slowly changing in some places. MDs, even general internists, are very territorial. For the most part nutrition is not really considered part of "internal medicine", it's the domain of the RDs. Just like your cardiologist won't prescribe you xanax, your internist doesn't really consider nutrition to be part of his job.

Comment

MDs receive 2 weeks of nutritional education during medical school, and in some programs it is an elective. I work with doctors who are converts to the importance of diet in prevention.

You have to be your own health advocate. You have to do your own research. Most doctors do not know about prevention, only about treatment of disease.
          My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

Most doctors are not scientists and receive next to no training for assessing patients holistically. They are taught next to nothing about nutrition. Most of the trainee medics I met at university admitted that they struggled to pass their biochemistry modules second time around.

Most doctors are more akin to lawyers than scientists. The treatment regimes they advocate are based on precedent as dictated by the pharmaceutical industry. Most are too scared to step outside that comfort zone.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kymma View Post
              You have to be your own health advocate. You have to do your own research. Most doctors do not know about prevention, only about treatment of disease.
              1,000x's YES!
              Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

I'm in nursing school and to earn points on my exams on nutrition for both nursing and anatomy and physiology I had to say that people should eat "60% carbohydrate, from whole grains when possible, chose low fat options and avoid things like butter and red meat". In class discussions I have been able to voice my opinion but when it comes to exams my opinions are "wrong".

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
                  I'm in nursing school and to earn points on my exams on nutrition for both nursing and anatomy and physiology I had to say that people should eat "60% carbohydrate, from whole grains when possible, chose low fat options and avoid things like butter and red meat". In class discussions I have been able to voice my opinion but when it comes to exams my opinions are "wrong".
                  I just cried a bit.
                  Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by LJH View Post
                    Kaoticturtle's rant about her RD mum and her horrible advice brings this to mind. Recently my husband had some minor knee surgery. It required seeing many, many 'Health Care Professionals'.

At the local clinic where his preliminary tests were done the nurse practicioner was very plump, the RN was so obese she had trouble walking. At the state-of-the-art surgery center in the city, with a huge staff of 'Health Care Professionals', from check-in to roll-out after recovery I noted exactly THREE people who were not overweight; his surgeon, his anesthesiologist and one of the nurses.

Now, these folks are fantastic mechanics. Artists actually, being able to repair a bit of torn tissue in a human knee with just two tiny holes and send the patient home that afternoon. I'm in awe. If I break bones or puncture an artery GET ME A DOCTOR! But for nutritional advice I'll pass. I swear to God if that giant nurse had said anything to my husband about nutrition I'd have snapped a gasket. It's like getting mental health advice from Charlie Manson fer crissakes.
                    I have 2 friends that are nurses... one is about 5'5 300+lbs, the other is about 50lbs lighter and 3 inches shorter... they are forever telling me how I should eat... kinda like when "Doctor" Phil wrote a book on how to lose weight, when he was pretty overweight himself. *eyeroll*
                    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

Originally posted by Earthy Mama View Post
                      I just cried a bit.
                      +1
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I'm a qualified nurse and I've always had a keen interest in nutrition - it's almost a hobby. But I've had times when I was unfit and overweight. Just because you have the knowledge does't mean that you have the self control to use it.

We are taught CW, and we are expected to educate our clients in CW. But we do talk about it in-house and I have heard many non-CW things being discussed in clinical settings between medical professionals. A dietician I used to work with often talked to me about the benefits of good quality fats, and this was long before I ever learned about primal. For the most part it all CW though and we all know that CW does't work.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
                          I have 2 friends that are nurses... one is about 5'5 300+lbs, the other is about 50lbs lighter and 3 inches shorter... they are forever telling me how I should eat... kinda like when "Doctor" Phil wrote a book on how to lose weight, when he was pretty overweight himself. *eyeroll*
                          I keep having this vision, that you should pull up your shirt and show them your 6 pack abs, and say "Where are your abs?"

Assuming, of course, you had a 6 pack, but yea. It's incredibly hard to lose weight while still having the addiction to and surrounded by the typical SAD foods. And both CW and Paleo people can be very strong willed about their diet choices.
                          Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

Health professionals are just people, despite any training. They live with the same stresses, both physical and mental, social and financial, spiritual and psychological, as the rest of society. None of us can presume to know their lives, their histories or their situations. And who knows - maybe that overweight nurse you were trashing has already lost 50 lbs and made the effort to walk to work today, even at 5 a.m. in the dark.

And there are lots of overweight people on this forum - just read the signature lines. The overwhelming sense of superiority that I hear in some of these posts is rather noxious. Have a little compassion folks!

For the record, I'm a Registered Dietitian, trained in the 80's in the height of the big CW move to low fat. That's not my fault. I've struggled with an excess 20 lbs for most of my adult life, but my BMI is within the healthy range, my labs are excellent, and I have made myself do and enjoy physical activity (that didn't come naturally). I "get" primal and wish I could make the rest of the world see it's benefits and find a way to "make" everyone change over. But I can't. I do what I can, encouraging healthy fats instead of low fat, steering people away from processed s**t foods, encouraging local buying. And talking more indepth when I find a receptive person.

My biggest observation about the unhealthiness of health care providers is the number of smokers in the ranks of nurses, personal support workers, dietary staff, etc. I can't get over how many of them head outside on every break to pollute their lungs in the "fresh air".

Comment

^^Exactly. I eat primal and I wouldn't stop any heads as I walk down the street. Nobody would look at me and say, wow, what's your secret? I've got no abs and plenty of cellulite on my thighs. I'm lifting heavy weights and am sore and hungry almost all the time.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X