Just need to vent...mum's an RD and has been lecturing me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    while following CW it's almost impossible for some people to maintain a healthy weight!
    I realise that now! more than 20 years of trying oh so hard to do the right thing and it JUSt. DIDN't. WORK.

I wish I could help point my own parents in the direction of primal, but if they don't see the need (which is staring us all in the face), I don't know where to begin.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I agree with primal rob.

Don't bother with articles. Just go "it's not up for discussion anymore" and leave it at that.

Also, congrats on moving to OZ. we made the move from the US to NZ and it's been awesome for us!

Comment

"I'm an adult now and I'll eat what I want to eat"

will suffice.

Comment

This is awesome, made me chuckle!!!

Originally posted by fifer View Post
          You could try responding simply with "It's Christmas! If I can't indulge a wee bit now then when can I?"

Comment

Thank you so much for your comments. My husband and I have just been reading through them and definitely feel better for all the support. We've agreed that sending research papers through is probably not going to help things, is just a bit too close to "feeding the troll" and will probably just end up prolonging any argument and making it worse. However, the few hours I spent last night rereading lots of blog posts on MDA and following up the journal articles has certainly help emphasise to me that we are doing the right thing and the formal research is starting to back us all up.

I think the advice from jfreaksho is likely to work best and will probably be what I go with when I get the next lecture - we can already feel it building again...

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
            I doubt that research and journals are going to help. Neither is arguing. My best option would be something like, "Mom, I don't want to fight about this, but I don't want to hear about it either. I don't think I can change you, but I know you won't change my mind. We can enjoy the rest of our time together, or you can continue to lecture me about it, but either way, I am not changing and not arguing any more."

Again, thanks everyone

Sugar is my nicotine...

Comment

Still, I can't help but think of the impact your mom could have in her position if you did manage to convert her. Don't give up on that possibility. Like the post by Timothy yesterday, being a good example is powerful testimony. Best of luck!
              As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

Comment

Do people really get this reaction? I told people about how I prefer to eat, and the most they tell me is "ok, cool..." Or "so... Lots of meat? I like!"
                "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

Parents are the worst. I was a vegetarian for ten years, and I was harangued continuously (in a good-natured, joking way). It seems to me that eating habits are a fundamental part of family culture, and if you stray, it's as if you joined a radical religious cult.

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifla View Post
                    Parents are the worst. I was a vegetarian for ten years, and I was harangued continuously (in a good-natured, joking way). It seems to me that eating habits are a fundamental part of family culture, and if you stray, it's as if you joined a radical religious cult.
                    You mean it's not?

Comment

Reading this and other patent and family related posts make me so grateful for mine. They've put up with all my food idiosyncrasies throughout the years with tolerance and no questions asked, and no protests until my weight got far too low. And they still take my advice on nutrition when I try to explain to them the difference between good and bad fats. I've even got them eating butter and coconut oil.
                      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!! My falling-apart-at-the-seams old man did/does this one... Every cold I caught as a veg meant that I should just eat BEEF, but I caught the colds because I was working at a daycare with 30 snotty, drippy toddlers at the time. Some immune herbs and better hand washing habits on my part took care of that. My father wasn't nice about it though.

Now, I'm going to die tonight if I do not get the saturated fat out and finally eat some bread already.

My father has actually come out and said it straight up - "you weren't raised like this - you are only doing this to be different".

And this from the guy who still smokes daily, even after a quad bypass, a heart attack, a good handful of stents, a recent major vascular leg surgery that replaced his biological tissue with a long length of rubber tubing, a knee replacement, several more aneurisms that are threatening to blow, and no own teeth. And - I catch shit for not having "proper" groceries in the house, like Morton salt, Parkay margarine, white bread, white sugar, and classic coke (we have sea salt, butter, no bread, local honey, and Knudsen spritzers/Izzy sodas).
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                          You mean it's not?
                          Vegetarianism may well be like a religious cult. I don't have any vegetarians in my life at the moment.

I have already been told that I am in a cult with Primal lifestyle! But I don't care. I am getting good results, and I don't have to listen to anyone else. Hearing it from parents is particularly difficult, though.

I have teenagers and I am cooking healthy for them, but when their dad is around, they eat nothing but junk...pizza and burgers. They know my stand but I am very careful not to lecture or cajole them. Guilt and pressure are not helpful. I am confident that they will eventually come around to voluntarily choosing and making the effort required to eat wisely.

Comment

You mean it's not?
                            No more so than being paleo/primal

Really, I was a vegetarian before going primal and I was not at all "cultish" about it. I just didn't want to eat animals anymore (and at the time was pretty convinced that humans don't need to eat meat... but that's another story). I was no more evangelical over that lifestyle than I am over this. I usually keep pretty quiet about my dietary choices except where I have to tell people what I can/can't eat.

Comment

Vegetarianism may well be like a religious cult. I don't have any vegetarians in my life at the moment.

I have already been told that I am in a cult with Primal lifestyle! But I don't care. I am getting good results, and I don't have to listen to anyone else. Hearing it from parents is particularly difficult, though.

I have teenagers and I am cooking healthy for them, but when their dad is around, they eat nothing but junk...pizza and burgers. They know my stand but I am very careful not to lecture or cajole them. Guilt and pressure are not helpful. I am confident that they will eventually come around to voluntarily choosing and making the effort required to eat wisely.
                              Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
                              No more so than being paleo/primal

Really, I was a vegetarian before going primal and I was not at all "cultish" about it. I just didn't want to eat animals anymore (and at the time was pretty convinced that humans don't need to eat meat... but that's another story). I was no more evangelical over that lifestyle than I am over this. I usually keep pretty quiet about my dietary choices except where I have to tell people what I can/can't eat.
                              Really~ it was a joke! Haven't you noticed, anytime anyone eats or in any other way behaves differently from CW, *it's a cult*? Maybe not so funny~ almost pathetic, actually, like man's right to individuality is dying.

Comment

Maybe not so funny~ almost pathetic, actually, like man's right to individuality is dying.
                                This is very true. I tend to blame the media...for this reason, I have cut out watching TV, except at the gym, where 20 TV's are lined up in front of the treadmills.

My other cult was Montessori...

Comment

Working...
                                X