Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I ate WHAT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Yesterday's eating was MUCH better and I was pleasantly full. The first day was a big trial but I feel great now
    Earthy Mama's Journal

    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

    Comment


    • #17
      There's a difference between the amount of calories you consume, and the amount your body utilizes from food. Keep that in mind.

      Comment


      • #18
        When I went primal about 6 months ago, I hit it hard with low carb and became fat adapted really fast. I was only eating 2 meals a day with a total of 900-1200 calories per day. I lost 17lbs, and 11" very quickly. Over the past few weeks, I've been so busy with work, school and Christmas approaching, that I haven't been tracking my foods, or weighing myself. I've been eating more carbs (sweet potatoes, a night out at a sushi restaurant) and have felt really great. I'm going on pure intuition now --- eating more one day, and eating less the next. I still only eat two meals a day. Anyway, my point is that my body seems to like when I 'mix things up'. I went clothes shopping today, and I slid into size 8's on the bottom, and moved from medium to small in some styles of workout clothing. Nice. So, it's nice to see that the body seems to be enjoying and benefitting from a 'less rigid' approach to my 'natural flow' approach. It's nice to know that you can have some rice and a little potato soup and not experience any weight gain. I'm still amazed at how my body recomp continues to evolve enough though my weight seems to be stable. The body is a very impressive machine.
        ----------------------------------------
        F, 48, 5'10"
        Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
        Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

        Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

        Comment


        • #19
          It takes about 14-30 days of strict primal to get really used to this WOE, get rid of most non-primal cravings, etc. In that transition period, I'd say eat as much meat, veggies, fat, aka REAL FOOD as you want. (It helps that primal food is harder to overeat than CW food, but it certainly isn't impossible!)
          BUT... along with that, it's also really important to re-evaluate your macros once you're sticking to real, primal foods, especially if weight loss is a goal. You may or may not be able to lose or feel awesome (or whatever your goal is) whilst eating "as much as you want."
          My personal long-term goal is to eat real food at least 80% of the time. I eat when I'm hungry, don't eat when I'm not, and while eating, I slowly enjoy my food and pay attention to how full I am - I eat to a point of being satisfied, but not over-full.

          re: bulletproof coffee.
          a. it's not really bulletproof if you're putting sugar in it.
          b. As far as I understand it, Dave Asprey's recommendation is to substitute breakfast with a bulletproof coffee, not to have one WITH breakfast. I could be misconstruing that, it's possible... but I personally will do JUST a bulletproof coffee most work mornings. On weekends, when I tend to wake up later (and hungrier) and make brunch, I'll have his upgraded beans with some grass-fed heavy cream instead of butter, or with less butter than if I were drinking the coffee alone.

          hope that helps

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
            When I went primal about 6 months ago, I hit it hard with low carb and became fat adapted really fast. I was only eating 2 meals a day with a total of 900-1200 calories per day. I lost 17lbs, and 11" very quickly. Over the past few weeks, I've been so busy with work, school and Christmas approaching, that I haven't been tracking my foods, or weighing myself. I've been eating more carbs (sweet potatoes, a night out at a sushi restaurant) and have felt really great. I'm going on pure intuition now --- eating more one day, and eating less the next. I still only eat two meals a day. Anyway, my point is that my body seems to like when I 'mix things up'. I went clothes shopping today, and I slid into size 8's on the bottom, and moved from medium to small in some styles of workout clothing. Nice. So, it's nice to see that the body seems to be enjoying and benefitting from a 'less rigid' approach to my 'natural flow' approach. It's nice to know that you can have some rice and a little potato soup and not experience any weight gain. I'm still amazed at how my body recomp continues to evolve enough though my weight seems to be stable. The body is a very impressive machine.
            I hope this will be me soon! Following intuition will be my goal with eating and I hope that happens in the coming months. My problem is I over-eat simply because I'm bored so I want to make sure I'm not way over-doing it.

            Congratz on your success!

            Originally posted by PrimalMama View Post
            It takes about 14-30 days of strict primal to get really used to this WOE, get rid of most non-primal cravings, etc. In that transition period, I'd say eat as much meat, veggies, fat, aka REAL FOOD as you want. (It helps that primal food is harder to overeat than CW food, but it certainly isn't impossible!)
            BUT... along with that, it's also really important to re-evaluate your macros once you're sticking to real, primal foods, especially if weight loss is a goal. You may or may not be able to lose or feel awesome (or whatever your goal is) whilst eating "as much as you want."
            My personal long-term goal is to eat real food at least 80% of the time. I eat when I'm hungry, don't eat when I'm not, and while eating, I slowly enjoy my food and pay attention to how full I am - I eat to a point of being satisfied, but not over-full.

            re: bulletproof coffee.
            a. it's not really bulletproof if you're putting sugar in it.
            b. As far as I understand it, Dave Asprey's recommendation is to substitute breakfast with a bulletproof coffee, not to have one WITH breakfast. I could be misconstruing that, it's possible... but I personally will do JUST a bulletproof coffee most work mornings. On weekends, when I tend to wake up later (and hungrier) and make brunch, I'll have his upgraded beans with some grass-fed heavy cream instead of butter, or with less butter than if I were drinking the coffee alone.

            hope that helps
            When reading through success stories I've noticed a pattern.
            1.) People feel great right off the bat.
            2.) People feel great the first week and have carb flu the next week.
            3.) People feel horrible the first week/half and then their energy skyrockets.

            So, I've prepared myself (mentally) to understand it's going to be a hard transition for a while now, but I'm going to power through it and not give up!
            Day 1 was the only day I used sugar LOL, haven't had it since. Day 1 and 2 I ate 3x a day. Today I skipped to 2 a day. Everyone's right when they say everything on this diet is really individual with how many prot/fat/carbs you can eat, and how long you can IF and this and that and this and that LOL. Definitely a new adventure and I'm learning something new every day about how my body is reacting to this lifestyle.

            BTW, does WOE = way of eating? I've been trying to figure that out, I'm usually good with abbreviations but this one has taken me a while haha!

            Thanks! I think most of that was rambling LOL!
            Earthy Mama's Journal

            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

            Comment


            • #21
              Eat a balanced ratio of proteins, fats and carbs at every meal. For now, the Zone diet may help you to lower your calories:
              Zone Diet | Home of Anti-Inflammatory Nutrition

              You could also try eating lower calorie every other day:
              The UpDayDownDay Diet™ and eResveratrol ? Dr. James Johnson ? SIRT1 Gene Activation

              It's not just what you eat, but how much.

              Comment


              • #22
                Thanks for the tips
                Earthy Mama's Journal

                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

                Comment


                • #23
                  Track it on spark people or some other tracker, but you've got to weigh your portions at first or you'll eat too many calories. And exercise, no matter what.. Walk a mile everyday for a week or so, then add more and more distance. Drink lots of filtered water.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                    Track it on spark people or some other tracker, but you've got to weigh your portions at first or you'll eat too many calories. And exercise, no matter what.. Walk a mile everyday for a week or so, then add more and more distance. Drink lots of filtered water.
                    I'm using paleotracker right now. Thank you for the help
                    Earthy Mama's Journal

                    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Paleotracker is good. The water will keep you in a great mood all the time.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X