Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer in my yard. No weapons. How to eat them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer in my yard. No weapons. How to eat them?

As title indicates. No gun. Maybe dig a trap? Can't persistence hunt because they will run off of my property.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Do as the bobcat does. They're 20 pounds, but can take down prey 8x their body weight. They have killed deer. Jump on that sapsucker and bite 'im.
    My Writing Blog
    My Twitter

Comment

There are snares you can make, but I've never tried them.

Invest in an atlatl. Saw a 7-year-old boy take down a dear with essentially a pair of sticks.

Comment

Be careful when you grab them. Hooves are very sharp.

Comment

Atlatl will take practice, but I'm intrigued.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

You have a car?

I guess if you can't hit one with your car, maybe you could drive to town to get a bow or something?
            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Turn a wooden broom into a spear. Cut off the bristles, and sharpen...

Or chase the deer down. Remember hearing something about that, paleo man chasing down food that was faster than him, because he had the stamina.

Comment

You have a car?

I guess if you can't hit one with your car, maybe you could drive to town to get a bow or something?
                Can't get them with the car. Too many trees.

If I had money for weapons, I'd have weapons. I'm canned-fish Primal, not fru-fru Primal.

Turn a wooden broom into a spear. Cut off the bristles, and sharpen...

Or chase the deer down. Remember hearing something about that, paleo man chasing down food that was faster than him, because he had the stamina.
                A home-made weapon may well be in order. Spear or atlatl...maybe a big rock?

Persistence hunting, as I hinted at earlier, is limited to my five acres. It would take a few hundred acres to tire a deer, I'm sure.
                Last edited by Knifegill; 12-11-2012, 06:00 PM.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Beer?

Maybe you could ferment some corn or something. Get 'em good and drunk?
                  65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Beer?

Maybe you could ferment some corn or something. Get 'em good and drunk?
                    That's actually an amazingly great idea.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

hog hunting is done in many ways here. one of them is to get a pack of dogs to hold the hog while you jump on it and stick it with a knife. some more brave individuals wait up trees and jump on the hogs without the aid of the dogs and stick them. they are the stuff of legends as most people these days have the technology to use a gun or run dogs. deer are notoriously nervy and flighty and kick real bad when cornered, as in they can kill dogs, so i imagine it would be quite a feat to jump one. you also need to think how you intend to kill it quickly to avoid it injuring you or it suffering unduly. i have been told stories of people trying to kill sheep with a big rock. they were messy stories. generally cutting the throat is the way to go. or stick it in the heart with a knife or spear. you will need a very sharp strong knife. and i doubt very much you'd be able to persistence hunt a deer on your own on foot without assistance which is why we love our hunting dogs.

Comment

Make a bow and some arrows. You could also throw rocks at it, that would tenderize it at the same time.
                        I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

Sneak up on it, break its back legs with a baseball bat and cut its throat with a knife. Or continue bludgeoning with the bat.

A deadfall might work too if the rocks were big enough.
                          In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

do you know anyone with a gun who could come shoot it and share the meat? also worth thinking about. if you've never killed an animal before, knives and blood and half dead or dying large animals thrashing around can get very theatrical. and, maybe i am a wimp coz i am girl, but i really like the things we kill to go quickly.

Comment

This thread just reminds me of a quote from The Office that always makes me laugh:

"Yeah, I went hunting once. Shot a deer in the leg. Had to kill it with a shovel. Took about an hour. Why do you ask?" - Michael Scott
                              My Writing Blog
                              My Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X