Favorite Coffeeshop Drinks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Coffeeshop Drinks?

So I'm a pretty stereotypical humanities grad student and coffeeshops are ubiquitous for semi-social studying - especially in winter. I'm weaning myself off sugar and ideally would like to get to the point where I am drinking unadulterated tea. There are so many different teas and coffees out there to choose from though! I've tried a few I thoroughly disliked, so I need some advice.

What are your favorite coffeeshop drinks?

I'm a fan of regular coffee. Rooibos 'tea' is also very good (from what I understand it is not actually tea, but it is tea-like). It often comes in different flavors; there is a chocolate mint one I am digging currently. If I want something fancy a latte made with heavy cream is nice, though you may need to add an extra espresso shot or two.

Comment

went to a coffeeshop this weekend. totally dissapointed. bulletproof coffee spoils you.

if i ever go anywhere now i will order 2-3 shots of espresso and add cream. I have started carrying my own stevia
      Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
      Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
      Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

My current favorite is a double decaf red-eye/eye-opener/depth charge, whatever the heck they call it wherever you go. That's two shots of decaf espresso plus whatever coffee I want filling up the rest of the cup. I usually pick the cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice flavored coffee. I drink this black, no cream or sweetener.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'll second that bulletproof coffee ruins you...

but when I go to a coffee shop, I'll get espresso shots, an Americano (with heavy cream), or, if they'll make it, a latte or cappuccino made with heavy cream (or half & half).

I also love unadulterated tea, but I've been spoiled by brewing at home... we've got some rooiboos, earl gray, and coconut green tea at the moment (all from http://www.teagschwendner.com - I had a gift card and they have YUMMY teas, it's a shame their local stores closed)

Comment

During the summer, an iced Americano with some heavy cream stirred in is the MOST refreshing thing money can buy! It honestly hits the spot better than any sugary-frozen-blitz-drink, uber-sweetened-tea-juice or iced-coffee-cum-syrup ever did before.

I usually go for a straight latte during the winter, or a cappuccino (veering away from dairy, and cappuccinos have less, due to foam-to-liquid ratio). But I more and more opt for a straight Americano, hot and black.

What kind of teas do you tend to like? Depending on how snooty the coffee shops in your area are (the snootier the better, when it comes to tea), tea gives you a LOT of room to play, and is very rarely problematic (as long as we're talking brewed tea, and not uber-sweetened-tea-juice-concoctions).

Comment

Spiced Indian chai with whipping cream.
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

I'm so glad so many of you give love to the heavy cream! I love heavy cream (too much). I feel dumb for not thinking of ordering a roobios or americano with heavy cream. So simple. When you order these do the baristas leave enough room to actually add the dairy?

I am interested in non-milky teas as I will probably be attempting a Whole 30 after the holidays. I've tried various "zingers" which taste just enough like cough syrup I dislike them, though I like the idea of them. I like cold green tea though hot green tea doesn't seem to have enough taste. I like a "corn tea" that a local Korean restaurant serves, though I have no idea what is in it or how it's made.

Comment

Pumpkin Spice Latte. Starbucks does a decent one but if you can find a local shop that does it, OMG it's about a billion times better. If you can't, settle for Starbucks, and enjoy it anyway because even in decent form it's pretty good. I don't drink coffee at all but during the fall I pick up the Pumpkin Spice Latte ... now I'm back to my usual green tea but I look forward to next fall.
                  Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

Originally posted by sarasue624 View Post
                    When you order these do the baristas leave enough room to actually add the dairy?
                    it's a pet peeve of mine when they just dump some of my americano out to make room for the cream... c'mon, you couldn't have just added less water, so now you're dumping out some of the actual espresso?!

so... it depends on the barista... The starbucks by my work, for example, several of the baristas know me well enough to either put the heavy cream in when I order, or leave enough room and put the heavy cream on the bar for me. On the rare occasion where they have to dump out some of the drink 'cause they filled it too full, they often offer to put in an extra shot.

Comment

The starbucks near my house does have hwc but they don't put it out on the counter unless you ask for it.

I just like a decaf with hwc plus a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.

Comment

My fave coffee place offers almond milk for their fancy drinks. I sometimes get that in a latte or have a Kashmiri chai with the almond milk (and yeah, it's a sugar bomb, but it has pistachios and rose petals, so sometimes I indulge).
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Red bush tea

I'm surprised to see so many here taking red bush tea (rooibos). Did you realise it's a legume?
                          I'm trying to be pretty strict PB so I consider it off-limits. Clearly many here adding milk and cream is similarly non-strict PB so I guess we all have our own foibles.

Comment

It's made from the leaves, not the seeds, so it isn't an issue.
                            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by lordgrover View Post
                              I'm surprised to see so many here taking red bush tea (rooibos). Did you realise it's a legume?
                              I'm trying to be pretty strict PB so I consider it off-limits. Clearly many here adding milk and cream is similarly non-strict PB so I guess we all have our own foibles.
                              The tea is made from the herb parts of the plant... the green matter not the matured seeds.
                              Legume seeds are avoided due to the content of self protective chemicals that they develop as they mature.

Lots if not most people here find eating the green parts of the plant acceptable... such as green beans, snow peas, and pea shoots.

Dairy is an individual issue due to tolerance... High fat organic, pastured, grass fed, and fermented being preferred.

Mark has made posts on both the legume green material issue as well as the dairy issue.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                              X