Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions on how to undo a carb binge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmyP View Post
    Couple of things I have done that seem to help getting out of the "must stuff cookies in my face" place... Fast for a day, I do dinner one night to dinner the next and it seems to help me stop, then follow that with telling myself "not right now" to the carby foods. Saying "not right now" helps me to know that yes, someday I can have a cookie..just not right now.
    "not right now"... sounds like a nice little mantra... will try it out! thanks!
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Comment

Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
      This is all great advice. I really think you need to go whole hog on the Primal. (pun totally intended...)

The thing is that once you go all in, it's just so difficult to go back. You'll also learn your binge-triggers. For me, it's tiredness, rice, white potatoes, alcohol, and stevia. For many, it's fruit, or cheese, or nuts. Even a simple piece of fruit for breakfast can derail some Primals for the the rest of the day. Learn what triggers that stuff-my-face-NOW response and avoid those foods.

There will be days when you pop into Starbucks for a cookie, and that cookie won't be nearly as satisfying as you remembered it once being. And if you're like most of us, that cookie will put the hurt to you. Just remember how crappy you feel when you backslide, then weigh the consequences of the cookie versus how great you feel not eating the cookie. Sometimes it helps the really read the ingredients and visualize what each of those looks like raw. Yummy bag of flour, anyone? How about a nice cup of baking soda? Pass...
      Thanks Sophie! I am aiming to go back on "fully committed" mode. I am not the cold turkey kinda gal, so fasting and doing radical things, just leaves me in a horrible state of mind, so I am easing into my old self, maybe not whole hog primal as many of your guys are, but in my 80/20 comfort zone, and once that is sustainable, then Ill go to the original plan: 90/10.

I will follow all the good advice here, this is an amazing forum and feel so supported!

Thanks a million to all of you guys!!!

Comment

Strict fast for three days, until you hit ketosis. Then resume primal eating.

Gets the crap out of your body, eliminates any weight gained, and will do wonders to release any bloating from water weight.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

If its late at night and you want to nosh, just brush your teeth, rinse with mouthwash for as long as you can stand, and go to bed. Nothing tastes good washed down with Listerine.
          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Just read someone's interesting experience(naturally, cannot remember where!) of getting into ketosis QUICKLY by exercising moderately for about an hour while fasting for one day, to burn through any excess glycogen. Worth a shot.

Comment

I'm a downward spiral kind of girl. 1 thing leads to another, more and more cravings.. I've been more than a little off the wagon lately, especially with deserts. I keep using the excuse that I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant... but that's not going to last too much longer. I'm still learning what triggers me and one of my personal mantras is "I've done this before" as in... I've said no before, I was fully primal before, and I can do it again. I've done some research and come to the conclusion that it takes the body an average of 4 days of primal eating to get over the insulin spike/indulgence. Good luck to you
              Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Comment

I am personally a fan of cold turkey. Given the addictive quality of the food you are attempting to avoid, it makes sense to not "open the flood gates". I feel the biggest way to stop and to not repeat for me is to understand the guilt I will feel. My body feels different and I know it. I have gotten physically ill at times. I have a friend who has been primal for seven years and she said about the same thing. She'd rather not feel guilty. A good note though to make is that occasional slip ups are normal. I have struggled through 6 months of carb breakdowns to be able to associate the guilt with the action. So, keep trying and forgive yourself as quickly as possible. However, get back on track as soon as possible. The effort is what will get the results.

Comment

Stop eating carbs. Most importantly, refined sugar.
                  "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Opie View Post
                    I am personally a fan of cold turkey. Given the addictive quality of the food you are attempting to avoid, it makes sense to not "open the flood gates". I feel the biggest way to stop and to not repeat for me is to understand the guilt I will feel. My body feels different and I know it. I have gotten physically ill at times. I have a friend who has been primal for seven years and she said about the same thing. She'd rather not feel guilty. A good note though to make is that occasional slip ups are normal. I have struggled through 6 months of carb breakdowns to be able to associate the guilt with the action. So, keep trying and forgive yourself as quickly as possible. However, get back on track as soon as possible. The effort is what will get the results.
                    very nice post! thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by PoisonApple View Post
                      I'm a downward spiral kind of girl. 1 thing leads to another, more and more cravings.. I've been more than a little off the wagon lately, especially with deserts. I keep using the excuse that I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant... but that's not going to last too much longer. I'm still learning what triggers me and one of my personal mantras is "I've done this before" as in... I've said no before, I was fully primal before, and I can do it again. I've done some research and come to the conclusion that it takes the body an average of 4 days of primal eating to get over the insulin spike/indulgence. Good luck to you
                      4 days to get over the insulin spike? will keep that in mind and see, thanks for sharing!

Comment

I know you can do this U2sandrah, and I know I need to do it too. Carb binges are a b!tch!

I think I'm going to try a fast-with-exercise tomorrow. I *just* had a lovely coconut milk steamer (it's almost 9:30 pm) but I vow not to have any food other than coffee with coconut oil, black coffee, water and herbal tea until dinner time tomorrow. I will go for a walk at lunch time, and run up the 6 flights of stairs at work.

This weekend is a "school weekend" for me - I do once-per-month weekend intensives beginning Friday and ending Sunday. I'll make sure to either pack uber-compliant foods or skip my meals for more fasting time if I can't get organized enough to pack healthy meals.

So, I'm doing this with you starting right now!
                        Obligatory Intro

Comment

Boo! I broke my fast early. But I did it with healthy food - a big-ass salad. Still committed to detoxing all of my recent cheats!
                          Obligatory Intro

Comment

Originally posted by Sandamel View Post
                            Boo! I broke my fast early. But I did it with healthy food - a big-ass salad. Still committed to detoxing all of my recent cheats!
                            It happens.
                            -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

yeah! lets do a cheat-detox!!

i find it extremely difficult to fast... if i may.... i can get detox'd with a diet of less than 50g per day carb allowance.

i vow that ill go under 50, starting NOW!

ps.- this means to cut fruit, dairy, nuts and dark choc!!

Comment

ok so off to do some chores and a little studying. it has been a crappy day at work, but somehow after coffee, must get some things done before saturday.
                                brushed my teeth already, so ill try not to think on eating anything till lunch tomorrow.
                                with detail will track menu on MFP to get under 50!

Comment

Working...
                                X