Terrible Hangovers After Going Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible Hangovers After Going Primal

Hello, all. I've been following a primal diet for 3 or 4 weeks now and absolutely love it! One thing, however, is now I get terrible headaches from even a small quantity of booze. 2 drinks is all it takes for me to feel terrible the next day This has happened on a number of occasions and I have decided to go back to the SAD diet so I can go back to drinking...Just kidding I have basically been forced to stop drinking, which isn't terrible, but damn, I sure would like to be able to have some nice wine or a good craft beer again.

Any suggestions? I don't drink cheap booze, and nothing else has changed...

So just have one. I have very little alcohol tolerance (and that's only gotten worse with primal), and I've simply accepted that I can have one drink generally, maybe two over the course of a longer evening. I've traded quantity for quality.

A lot of people find their alcohol tolerance goes down on primal, so you're not alone.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I used to be able to drink 10 pints of beer/cider/Guinness and I was fine, but now only a few knock me out. I guess it's my body telling me this stuff is really toxic so I'm quite happy only indulging occasionally. It's worth it!

Comment

What's your fluid intake like now compared to before, hangovers are generally largely dehydration symptoms.
        -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

I'm a pretty active college student who parties after things like finals, and I always had a pretty reasonable tolerance to booze, but since going primal it takes me exactly 4 drinks to have a good time. More than that and I start falling down. Lesson is, don't drink that stuff, but of course I still do.

I would try to make sure you have a good meal in you first, and to drink a glass of water after each glass of wine/beer. It might help, and if it doesn't, maybe you should listen to your body.

Comment

Originally posted by moonpie View Post
            Hello, all. I've been following a primal diet for 3 or 4 weeks now and absolutely love it! One thing, however, is now I get terrible headaches from even a small quantity of booze. 2 drinks is all it takes for me to feel terrible the next day This has happened on a number of occasions and I have decided to go back to the SAD diet so I can go back to drinking...Just kidding I have basically been forced to stop drinking, which isn't terrible, but damn, I sure would like to be able to have some nice wine or a good craft beer again.

Alcohol contains sugars. your metabolism always use the sugar as a first source of energy.
            So when you drink the alcohol is used as a fuel, which is a bit painful as you have remarked.
            Have some carbs beforehand, potatoes or whatever you decide is good for you( i eat some bread, yeah, i know..)
            and you will not have a problem. It works for me.

Comment

Oh, and the excessive water drinking seem to make for worst for me for some reasons.
              I don't get headaches actually, i get migraines which is the grandmother of pain..

Comment

I think it's because your "normal" feeling is so much better. I used to wake up feeling like death no matter if I drank or not.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I have this experience as well, if I drink more than 2 drinks it takes me most of the next day to recover, it definatley makes one reconsider drinking...gosh darn it, lol.

Comment

I can't immediately find it, but I'm pretty sure I remember Mark positing the hypothesis that glycogen depletion makes the effects of alcohol more pronounced, and suggesting that you incorporate some carbohydrates the day of, as suggested by others above.

I've also been taking B1, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Milk Thistle with every or every other drink on the rare occasion I'm having more than 1 or 2. A few activated charcoals before bed on top of all that seems to minimize the pain.

I think it's also partly what tfarny said.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
                      What's your fluid intake like now compared to before, hangovers are generally largely dehydration symptoms.
                      I keep well hydrated...all I drink is water...first thing I drink when I wake up in the morning is a tall glass of water, and aside from an occasional Kombucha, it's all I drink.

Comment

I keep well hydrated...all I drink is water...first thing I drink when I wake up in the morning is a tall glass of water, and aside from an occasional Kombucha, it's all I drink.
                        I've NEVER had a hangover... my friend owns an establishment. I do not pay to drink... this past summer I'd put down 20-30 shots in a night, sleep it off on a couch at the establishment then drive home feeling fine... but, I'd always have a 32 ounce container of water before I collapsed on a couch (not to ward off hangovers though, more of as an alarm so I didn't sleep all day... 32 ounces of urine screaming to get out is a nice natural alarm clock haha).

Not sure how much that has to do with it... but you could always try having a few extra glasses of water before bed when you drink to see if it makes a difference... can't hurt!

Comment

Are you drinking beer mostly? If so, you may have a gluten issue. I have celiac disease, and one of my main symptoms was a terrible hangover from just 1-2 beers. Removing gluten from your diet can make you more sensitive to it when you do get exposed, so if you have an intolerance, than beer may only now be triggering it. If you've been avoiding gluten, but are getting these symptoms after having a couple of beers, try another kind of alcohol and see what happens.

Comment

I've been primal 6+ months or so....I'm drunk on two glasses of wine. Prior, I could have easily had 1 bottle over the course of an evening and been fine -- not anymore. This is another benefit of being primal -- less booze! woot woot
                            ----------------------------------------
                            F, 48, 5'10"
                            Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                            Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by KT79 View Post
                              Are you drinking beer mostly? If so, you may have a gluten issue. I have celiac disease, and one of my main symptoms was a terrible hangover from just 1-2 beers. Removing gluten from your diet can make you more sensitive to it when you do get exposed, so if you have an intolerance, than beer may only now be triggering it. If you've been avoiding gluten, but are getting these symptoms after having a couple of beers, try another kind of alcohol and see what happens.
                              Following this line of thought OP you could try an experiment... if you are drinking beer go get some Ciroc or Tito's handmade vodka, these are both gluten free (my friend that owns a club has a wicked gluten allergy and they are about all he drinks). Have a similar amount of alcohol as to beer that you are drinking (if you are) and see if it's a gluten thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X