Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ultimate CW buy in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The ultimate CW buy in?

    A healthy young lady is going to have a double masectomy just because she "might" get breast cancer!

    Really???

    I might get testicle cancer, I guess I should get my balls cut off!

    Excuse me while I go bash my head against the wall.....

    Miss America Contestant Will Undergo Double Mastectomy After Pageant - ABC News
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

    Originally posted by texas.grok
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

  • #2
    Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
    A healthy young lady is going to have a double masectomy just because she "might" get breast cancer!

    Really???

    I might get testicle cancer, I guess I should get my balls cut off!

    Excuse me while I go bash my head against the wall.....

    Miss America Contestant Will Undergo Double Mastectomy After Pageant - ABC News
    Being tested and verified as a carrier of a gene mutation that causes breast cancer is MUCH different than simply having breasts and therefore having a chance of getting cancer.

    Or testicles and possibly getting testicular cancer... which is of significantly lower incidence than breast cancer anyway.

    The genetic mutation she carries is almost a guarantee that not only will she get breast cancer, but that she will get it young, that it will recur, and that she will eventually die from it... just as most of the women in her family already have.
    That's where her decision is coming from.

    I'm sick of tits being held as more important than a woman's decisions... save the "tatas" my ass... save her life, even if that means cutting the damned things off. She doesn't actually NEED them you know.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

    Comment


    • #3
      And of course, the government softly condones this:

      Preventive Mastectomy - National Cancer Institute


      Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
      I'm sick of tits being held as more important than a woman's decisions... save the "tatas" my ass... save her life, even if that means cutting the damned things off. She doesn't actually NEED them you know.
      And my post has nothing to do about this being tits that are being cut off, it is about someone taking the radical step of having part of their body cut off without there being anything wrong with it.

      It is about people buying into CW wisdom, so deeply, that they cannot see anyway to avoid cancer except to cut off a part of their body.

      Get over the tits thing and see deeper into the story.

      The cancer industry is about making money, not curing anything.

      Randal
      AKA: Texas Grok

      Originally posted by texas.grok
      Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
      http://hardcoremind.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        With the gene mutation that she has her breasts are essentially ticking time bombs... not average breasts with the average chance of getting cancer.
        That gene mutation makes this a very different matter than an average woman getting breasts removed as a preventative.

        If I was her I would do exactly the same thing.
        It's a very personal decision.

        I really don't think that you have the right to judge the decision of a person who has that confirmed genetic mutation, and who has already watched the other women in her family die as a result of it because they waited to be diagnosed with the cancer then fought the cancer with tradition methods.

        She is choosing a different path is all, one that should provide a longer life outcome with less illness.
        Ultimately the path that she is choosing is attempting to avoid paying any money to the cancer industry.
        She will have her breasts removed and hopefully avoid all other treatments.
        A single procedure is not more profitable than letting her get cancer and treating her repeatedly for years.

        Feel free to rant.
        I'll feel free to think that your rant is ridiculous.

        There is no amount of clean healthy living that would keep that gene mutation from causing cancer in her at some point, most likely while she is still young trying to raise a family.
        That gene mutation is a serious problem for the women who have it.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

        Comment


        • #5
          My ex had that gene in his family, and almost every single woman in the family had died of breast cancer. His sister was getting tested and was going to have the mastectomy if she tested positive, and I would 100% support it. If you have that mutation, the cancer is almost a guarantee, and the surgery is the only way to prevent it. Better one surgery than years of surgeries, chemo, radiation, and likely eventual metastasis and death.

          I have a genetic cancer in my family too. If there was a test and a surgery that could prevent it if I tested positive for it genetically, I'd get it in a heartbeat. Sadly, I can't cut off my head to prevent a brain tumour, but after watching people suffer through that and die a long hard death, if there was a way I could be sure I wouldn't get it, I'd be banging on the operating theatre door.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

          Owly's Journal

          Comment


          • #6
            I'll be honest- breast cancer runs in my family and I've thought about being gene tested. The problem is, if I test positive, I will very likely consider having a prophylactic double mastectomy. This isn't CW so much as basically getting a guaranteed death sentence. Lung cancer you can often avoid by not smoking, avoiding polluted air, and eating a good diet. Other cancers are often similar- diet and lifestyle have a huge impact. Breast cancer, if you have the genetic mutation, can be unavoidable. So I guess what I would say is if you haven't walked a mile in that person's shoes, don't judge. It's a huge thing for a woman to consider having her breasts removed. Our breasts are our most womanly attribute. We feel we will be unattractive without them. Even with reconstructive surgery, it's not the same. So it's not something we do on a whim, it's something we choose to do because we feel we have no choice.
            High Weight: 225
            Weight at start of Primal: 189
            Current Weight: 174
            Goal Weight: 130

            Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
              Being tested and verified as a carrier of a gene mutation that causes breast cancer is MUCH different than simply having breasts and therefore having a chance of getting cancer.

              Or testicles and possibly getting testicular cancer... which is of significantly lower incidence than breast cancer anyway.

              The genetic mutation she carries is almost a guarantee that not only will she get breast cancer, but that she will get it young, that it will recur, and that she will eventually die from it... just as most of the women in her family already have.
              That's where her decision is coming from.

              I'm sick of tits being held as more important than a woman's decisions... save the "tatas" my ass... save her life, even if that means cutting the damned things off. She doesn't actually NEED them you know.
              Yeah. Also, implants.
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

              Comment


              • #8
                yeah,That gene mutation makes this a very different matter than an average woman getting breasts removed as a preventative.

                Comment


                • #9
                  And my post has nothing to do about this being tits that are being cut off, it is about someone taking the radical step of having part of their body cut off without there being anything wrong with it.
                  If all of my female relatives died of breast cancer, I'd think strongly about prevention even if it meant removing body parts. I think in some of these cases these women pretty much know they will have breast cancer. If there was an easier prevention, they would pursue it.

                  I think cancer has a very strong genetic link and in so many cases, just not much you can do about it. In my family, I can't think back to anyone who has had cancer. Yet in other families, seemingly everyone ends up with cancer.

                  I do think the whole "breast cancer" industry (mainly the fundraising) makes me all sorts of eyerolly. But I don't think the people treating it (ie, physicians) are selfish money pigs hoping to profit a couple grand from breast removal. If they were greedy, they'd want to make the big bucks treating you when you get the cancer.

                  http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well people in my family regularly die of lung cancer the vast majority of those that don't develop thyroid cancer... doesn't mean if they come out with an artificial lung I'm going to run down and get mine removed for one, or that I'm going to have my thyroid removed just because... they do this with tonsils and the appendix now too "well you have to have this surgery, why don't we take your tonsils and appendix... that actually make up part of your immune system... why don't we go ahead and remove them just because some people have issues with them"
                    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just wanted to note that lungs are necessary for life; breasts are not. There's nothing I can do with breasts that I can't do without them.

                      Most women would rather ditch them than die of cancer; if I knew, as this woman did, that my chances of dying of breast cancer were extremely high, I'd have both of mine off in a heartbeat.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                        With the gene mutation that she has her breasts are essentially ticking time bombs... not average breasts with the average chance of getting cancer.
                        That gene mutation makes this a very different matter than an average woman getting breasts removed as a preventative.

                        If I was her I would do exactly the same thing.
                        It's a very personal decision.

                        I really don't think that you have the right to judge the decision of a person who has that confirmed genetic mutation, and who has already watched the other women in her family die as a result of it because they waited to be diagnosed with the cancer then fought the cancer with tradition methods.

                        She is choosing a different path is all, one that should provide a longer life outcome with less illness.
                        Ultimately the path that she is choosing is attempting to avoid paying any money to the cancer industry.
                        She will have her breasts removed and hopefully avoid all other treatments.
                        A single procedure is not more profitable than letting her get cancer and treating her repeatedly for years.

                        Feel free to rant.
                        I'll feel free to think that your rant is ridiculous.

                        There is no amount of clean healthy living that would keep that gene mutation from causing cancer in her at some point, most likely while she is still young trying to raise a family.
                        That gene mutation is a serious problem for the women who have it.
                        +10000

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here's the problem that no one is talking about - mastectomies don't equate to no breast cancer. My step mother had breast cancer and a mastectomy. 6 years later the cancer came back in the SAME breast. She did not survive the cancer the second time once it metastasized. I think I would think very seriously of cutting my breasts off prior to getting the news I have cancer.

                          Genes mutate all the time, think flu season, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get the flu. Most of us have done enough reading and research on this site to realize that we have to be proactive in what we put in our mouths and what we put our bodies through to stay as healthy as possible to avoid sickness and diseases.
                          Height - 5'8"
                          SW - 191
                          CW - 162
                          GW - 155

                          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by catholicchick View Post
                            Genes mutate all the time, think flu season, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get the flu. Most of us have done enough reading and research on this site to realize that we have to be proactive in what we put in our mouths and what we put our bodies through to stay as healthy as possible to avoid sickness and diseases.
                            I'm surprised it took this long for someone to post some derivative of "eating Primal means, like, no disease ever man! Cavemen didn't get cancer/AIDS/diabetes/pneumonia".

                            Your statement above really demonstates true ignorance about human genetics and the association of particular mutations with diseases.

                            If I had genetic testing done that indicated a predisposition to breast and/or ovarian cancer, those suckers would gone as soon as I finished having kids.
                            32-y.o., 5'7", 125lbs.
                            Looking to improve my way of eating and mange a lean PCOS diagnosis without medication.
                            Proud 80/20 primal mama of twins born March 2012 and surprise #3 due August 2013!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by interzone View Post
                              I'm surprised it took this long for someone to post some derivative of "eating Primal means, like, no disease ever man! Cavemen didn't get cancer/AIDS/diabetes/pneumonia".

                              Your statement above really demonstates true ignorance about human genetics and the association of particular mutations with diseases.

                              If I had genetic testing done that indicated a predisposition to breast and/or ovarian cancer, those suckers would gone as soon as I finished having kids.
                              And you are being rather ignorant concerning the impact proper lifestyle can have on prevention of everything. If you believe the fact that a certain gene mutation automatically requires a removal of a body part because your absolutely certain that you will get it, and because your doctor reccomends it without the slightest thought of a different approach that has the ability to prevent the problem, then that's no better than what she suggested. We can go back and forth calling each other ignorant, but we are all being ignorant by not considering the other's side, so it's better to reasonablly debate then just say "ignorant."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X