No announcement yet.

Is "regular" food just really bland?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the only restaurant that serves 'domestic' food that gets my taste buds fired up. While not totally primal, there are lots of things that can easily be made primal. And their gluten-free options are naturally gluten free, not processed crap. The Pulled Pork Hash was heaven. BIG FEAST.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

I've been meaning to post something like this.
      Generally, 95% of the time, I eat grass fed/free range. The other day, my boyfriend had a friend over and I was too far from a store that sold free range chicken, so I stopped at the regular store and picked up a couple sets of chicken leg quarters.

My god were they nasty.

The chicken LOOKED yellower, it smelled...weird and tasted awful. I pulled the skin off the stuff I wanted to eat for myself and that helped but not a lot. There was SO MUCH skin, too. I couldn't believe it. It makes me sick just thinking about it. I smothered it in my homemade bbq sauce (yes, sugar is in it) and that helped but still didn't quite cover the nastiness.
      And a while ago, I was really low on food and my boyfriend was at the store so I asked him to pick me up some sausage for breakfast. It was Bob Evans sausage in a tube that I used to LOVE. I swear to you, I could taste the corn and grain in the meat. I spend $10/lb for free range, grass fed pork sausage and its a million times better. I was so surprised that I still I used to adore and what was a treat for me growing up is now garbage. Crazy.
      January 14th-306.2
      January 21st, lost 2" off my waist.
      January 30th-300.2

Come to the edge she said.
      No, I'll fall.
      Come to the edge.
      No, it's too high.
      Come to the edge.
      I came
      She pushed
      And I flew

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post

So now I limit my dining out to ethnic restaurants (NOT Chinese or Italian), where the flavors are interesting and some of the ingredients are exotic. For the most part the ingredients will be 'real food', and not built around bread or pasta. Ethiopian is my current favorite.
        Same here. We also have a freezer full of grass fed beef. Unfortunately in our little town there aren't any good ethnic restaurants. We tried getting Indian a couple of times (the nearby convenience store, owned by Indians, makes it on Fridays) but I've been working on my Indian cooking and now we prefer mine. But how we miss Ethiopian! I think the nearest is about 2 hrs away!
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
          This is the only restaurant that serves 'domestic' food that gets my taste buds fired up. While not totally primal, there are lots of things that can easily be made primal. And their gluten-free options are naturally gluten free, not processed crap. The Pulled Pork Hash was heaven. BIG FEAST.
          I'd eat there in a second!
          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Kata View Post
            I've noticed a lot of the food I used to eat has an off, kinda chemical-y taste to it after eating it again. Especially fast food. Mostly it's just a weird aftertaste, but some things that I used to love now just taste bad to me. I don't know why, maybe it's all psychological, but I guess it's a good thing if it makes me less inclined to indulge in the future.
            Ditto here! Try something with high-fucktose corn syrup. It's vile. I can definitely taste the difference between HFCS and sugar. Prepared stuff like canned soup or Lean Cuisine tastes like metal.
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I guess it depends on the food. I'm a good cook and when I ate CW my food was good. The restaurants I choose are great- I'm a huge fan of Japanese and Thai and both have that "5th flavor" savory thing going for them. I still like to eat that food except choose something without all the grains/carbs.

I'm going to have to re-learn how to cook now on paleo. I'll need to get better educated on spices, on using coconut milk, on using almond flour and such. It will take a little bit of time but I think I'll get good at this too.
              High Weight: 225
              Weight at start of Primal: 189
              Current Weight: 174
              Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Comment

I ATE A TWINKIE last week. AND I have two more double-packs wrapped and stored away for generations to come. It's poison, a false idol, and lies from the greedy beast of corporate USA - but it's also a TWINKIE and they're nearly extinct so don't pretend! Just don't!
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Chains suck.

I had a Starbucks drink at Thanksgiving and it was awful (way too sweet), but the cappucino from the french bakery on the corner is just dreamy. As are their chocolate croissants.

"Regular food" well prepared can be excellent including grain products. But so much pre-prepared (and chain restaurant food is often pre-prepared) sucks.

We are so lucky here. My birthday dinner- duck, a gratin of fennel and potato, a selection of cheeses and salamis and bourbon gelatto was nothing short of amazing. Truly good food, with real ingredients, expertly prepared. Nothing like what you get at Applebys. Nothing. Oh...wow, we have some good places- Indian, mexican, BBQ, the tapas place.

I always thought chain food was weird, even prior to primal. A lot of it seems almost frozen or canned.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                  X