What was your wake-up call?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Wow Trekfan. Fan-freakin-tastic work. What phenomenal results and what an inspiring story. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks Delta I don't know if I'll ever have the six-pack Mark has, but I'm way happier as I am now than I was before.

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Some silly people make comments like, "don't lose anymore weight" which I just laugh at. We are so used to seeing overweight people, that a slim individual now stands out like a sore thumb --- how jaded our perception of 'healthy weight' has become.
    You're 100% correct. My family is the same way with me about my weight. They insist I shouldn't lose anymore and I tell them I'm not, but they can't understand I'm still losing inches and wearing smaller clothes. I def feel like I stand out in a crowd now, especially at grocery stores where everyone is just ... well, as I was. I feel bad. I wish I could scream at the top of my lungs "I HAVE THE KEY! I KNOW HOW TO DO IT!" but I know people will only listen when they're ready. I didn't listen until I was ready.

But the world's perception of a healthy weight -- especially America -- is majorly skewed.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

Originally posted by trekfan View Post
      Then her niece showed up. She was hot. I liked her from sight one and she spent the weekend with us.

I didn't register on her radar. I tried everything I could, even engaged her in the forbidden topics of Religion and Politics to try and get something ... nope. Nothing.
      This part of the story needs futher exporation, have you pulled that lass yet - if not go out and get on with it man
      You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
        This part of the story needs futher exporation, have you pulled that lass yet - if not go out and get on with it man
        I've actually seen her twice since. Still hot but I'm ... well, socially awkward I guess is the phrase. I never had a real reason to develop social skills before that didn't involve me being the fat guy. I played the fat guy role ... loud, boisterous, ect and played it to perfection.

Now, I'm no longer the fat guy but I have no idea really what to do with myself around girls, especially that one because she remembers and has seen how much weight I've lost. We've talked about what I did as far as diet and exercise are concerned but as to any moves towards dating ... seems like a giant leap. She goes to school in Ohio anyway so logistics are a bit tough to work out but still, I need to work up the courage to ask. It just seems every time I get around her -- and cute girls in particular -- I just lose any confidence in myself and putter around trying not to fail horribly (which is a poor strategy, just saying).

So ... there's that. *shrugs*

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

I've actually seen her twice since. Still hot but I'm ... well, socially awkward I guess is the phrase. I never had a real reason to develop social skills before that didn't involve me being the fat guy. I played the fat guy role ... loud, boisterous, ect and played it to perfection.

Now, I'm no longer the fat guy but I have no idea really what to do with myself around girls, especially that one because she remembers and has seen how much weight I've lost. We've talked about what I did as far as diet and exercise are concerned but as to any moves towards dating ... seems like a giant leap. She goes to school in Ohio anyway so logistics are a bit tough to work out but still, I need to work up the courage to ask. It just seems every time I get around her -- and cute girls in particular -- I just lose any confidence in myself and putter around trying not to fail horribly (which is a poor strategy, just saying).

So ... there's that. *shrugs*
          I was a nervous guy, too. Lost a lot of good opportunities when young to those second thoughts. Got to act like you own the place. Polite, confident, and able to listen for a long time to stupid long stories about nothing with a smile on your face.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

trekfan, here's an urban legend you might like: A guy living in Manhattan stands on a corner every day and asks every pretty woman who walks by if she wants to get laid. As you can imagine, he gets quite a few expletives tossed at him, and even gets slapped occasionally. But he gets laid every day.

So, while I'm not advocating that kind of behavior, it does kind of show that you have to put it out there. The worst that can happen is getting turned down. That's not the end of the world.
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

What WASN'T a wakeup call for me?
              • I had a C-Section when I planned for a natural birth
              • I weighed 228 at 5'8" (after losing all baby weight)
              • I was obese
              • Weight Watchers never worked because I ALWAYS cheated, no matter how many "bonus points" I got
              • I loved whole foods
              • I started getting HORRENDOUS heartburn, which I thought felt like a heart attack (severe chest pains, sweating, vomiting, anxiety). That's probably what really put me over the edge.

I'm only 28! I want to be an active mom and have lots more babies...naturally! I started getting into "natural" things when I was pregnant and became totally fixated on natural childbirth, and the over-medicating/hospitalizing of women during pregnancy and birth. I would always say that "women have been giving birth for THOUSANDS of years. Many of them in caves." I also have a good friend who has lost 80lbs by going primal. At first I made fun of her gluten free ways, after all, it is pretty fad-ish right now. But here I am...Grokking it up and proud!
              Sarah
              Primal on a budget in Sugar Land, TX
              SarahChzBurg's Primal Journal

Comment

Overweight my entire life. Never understood why. Compared to everyone else I always ate healthy. Wholegrains for everything, skim milk. My friends ate all kinds of junk and I never did and I got fatter and fatter.

When I turned 41 I weighted 286 pounds. I got down to 250 by the time I turned 42, through CW. I was miserable. I worked out two hours a day and I was starving all the time.

I found Mark's website by chance. It made sense. I started the primal diet and I have not looked back. I now weigh 140 pounds. I feel great and I look amazing. It took me 14 months to lose 110 pounds. I hear it all the time, about how I should stop losing weight. People are also amazed at what I eat.

I still have a little to go, and it is coming off slowly but surely. I share it with anyone who really wants to hear it. But as others have said, until you are ready, it makes no difference.

Comment

Trekfan, here's what you do: At some occasion where you and this girl are both there, sit down next to her and talk with her. At some point, let your leg touch her leg ever so slightly. If she doesn't move it away, you have the answer you want.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                    I was a nervous guy, too. Lost a lot of good opportunities when young to those second thoughts. Got to act like you own the place. Polite, confident, and able to listen for a long time to stupid long stories about nothing with a smile on your face.
                    I can do two out of those three! I'm polite and I can listen forever about stuff. Confidence ... eh. Owning the place ... eh. But it's a good strategy, better than the one I'm currently using.

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                    trekfan, here's an urban legend you might like: A guy living in Manhattan stands on a corner every day and asks every pretty woman who walks by if she wants to get laid. As you can imagine, he gets quite a few expletives tossed at him, and even gets slapped occasionally. But he gets laid every day.

So, while I'm not advocating that kind of behavior, it does kind of show that you have to put it out there. The worst that can happen is getting turned down. That's not the end of the world.
                    You're right, no doubt. I've worked on that over the past few months, trying to "put it out there" and I've done it ... well, twice. Neither worked out but I did it twice and that's twice more than I had done it in the 4 years previously. It's a work in progress. I'm a work in progress but getting turned down doesn't scare me nearly as much as before.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    Trekfan, here's what you do: At some occasion where you and this girl are both there, sit down next to her and talk with her. At some point, let your leg touch her leg ever so slightly. If she doesn't move it away, you have the answer you want.
                    That's kinda mind blowing. I don't have a whole lot of physical experience with girls (nearly 13 years of being the fat guy kinda killed any chances of that) so your strategy sounds radical ... but what do I have lose, right?

Comment

I didn't really have a "wake-up call" per se. I guess I was finding it a bit tougher to keep my weight from climbing up, so I was looking for a way of eating that would help with that and be sustainable in the long-term. I was always against eating fake foods and preferred real cheese and high-fat yogurt to fat-free crap, so I was already open-minded in that sense. A few people at my gym have had success with paleo, so I started exploring that philosophy and with a medical background, it just made sense.

I've come across docs who are either grain-free themselves or at least well-aware and seriously thinking about this way of eating quite a few times recently, which is encouraging.

Comment

Having to place my newborn son on antacids and such then have him scoped to find out if anything was physically wrong only to learn there wasn't. Much research and reading and ended up here and at other great resources to learn the true secret and see the amazing transformation of our young child from a sick, disconnected being to a lively, thriving, completely different child who was able to reach his true potential. You could say those of us here that now possess true nutrition knowledge have taken the "red pill" (to steal a metaphor from a popular movie).
                        You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

I had people make the most roundabout remarks about me being "stout" I suppose is the best way to translate it. But when grandmother grabbed hold of my protruding beer gut, wiggled it around and said "you're fat, you need to lose the blubber, sweetie" and smiling kindly I realized something was up.

Comment

I had just turned 49, was 75lbs overweight, was starting to wonder if I had fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis and thought, "This is only going to get worse." I started on a calorie restricted diet and as I paid attention to which foods kept me full and which left me starving, grains became less and less a part of my diet. I followed a link from LoseIt to MDA for a recipe, and so it began. I started shopping at Whole Foods and local farmers. I felt better and better as I cut the crap from my diet. I'm at the point now where I'm more interested in body composition than weight. I have the energy and enthusiasm for physical exertion that I hadn't had for years. I'm thinking the next 10 years are going to be way better than the last 10.
                            50yo, 5'3"
                            SW-195
                            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

The Universe sent Primal to me. I was googling around one day looking for more recipes to feed my SCD-diet daughter (Specific Carbohydrate Diet - helps with gut issues) and ended up on the MDA. Having not ever heard of it, and also being insanely curious, reading tons was a given.

I decided to adopt it for myself because I was portly (a first in my life), recovering from depresssion, hooked on sugar, low-energy, pasty-faced, and just generally blah to look at and blah-feeling to myself. In the meantime I have adjusted diet-daughter's fatty acids to match the Primal, and daughter is doing better than ever. And so am I.
                              I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I saw Mr deVany's "Evolutionary Fitness" video. Bought, watched, thought. Forced boyfriend to watch. Thought with him. Went grain- and legume-free. Felt better, although I was previously healthy. Decided it must be a good thing if it makes me feel better.
                                --
                                Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                                I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                                I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Working...
                                X