The Super Secret Potato Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
    It also shows me there are things the experts may be missing. I think you may be correct in thinking that a diet designed to keep starch/glucose/sugar at a minimum may actually cause unforeseen problems with insulin/glucose sensitivity.

Specifically, eliminating potatoes, bananas, bread, grains, and lentils removes almost entirely all sources of "resistant starch" from our lives. I agree it's good to limit the grains, but without the resistant starch, we may be causing harm to our intestines.

Please click: Resistant starch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The big tie-in with resistant starch and intestinal health is butyrate, Butyrate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Potatoes are probably one of the best sources of butyrate we can feed to our intestinal tenants. It is certainly a convincing argument for at least adding potatoes into my diet on a regular basis.

Look at the two links I provided and then Google "Potato Butyrate" or similar search terms.
    So, since green peas have 4.0 g of RS per cup, do you think we could add those to the potatoes without any detriments?

Comment

• Originally posted by maigrey View Post
      So, since green peas have 4.0 g of RS per cup, do you think we could add those to the potatoes without any detriments?
      Green peas have a lot of sugar, but if you just ate a few peas alongside piles of potatoes, it would be fine. I actually think you could eat just about anything you wanted to on the potato diet as long as the calories are minimal, like under 5% of total for the day. Did you see new thread on this subject: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread96746.html

Comment

• Interesting so far. Marking to finish reading.
        I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

Working...
        X