Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Super Secret Potato Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by azger View Post
    Just an Update from me. I did 5 days of just potatos and lost 7 pounds, its been two weeks and have added in 1 pound of potatos a day into my normal eating, 1/2 pound at breakfast and 1/2 pound at dinner and eating paleo and have continued to lose in those two weeks 6 more pounds, I'm perfectly happy with that amount of weight loss.

    For me eating nothing but potatos was a great reset after the holidays, when I go off the diet I usually go down hard and it's very hard to start back up with this I lose wight and get back on track quickly.
    oh wow! wtg!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

    Comment


    • These look great Healthy Roast Fingerlings with Lemon Recipe : Food Network Kitchens : Recipes : Food Network

      I started freezing my lemons, and then just grating them into my water or whatever, and it is working great, so I can see doing these tators with grated lemon.

      Hay (yes I know, it should be hey but I am a cowgirl) so anyways... Hay, next week, I am going to Alabama with DH while he is on business. I have been thinking what all food I could take, what will travel well (about 12 hour drive) and then I realized... what a perfect time for me to do a week of tators!! I could even do some variety ahead of time, like hashbrowns, right?
      65lbs gone and counting!!

      Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

      Comment


      • +1 for that potato and lemon combo.

        A yummy potato salad recipe:

        Boil some peeled potatoes with plenty of salt.

        Drain potatoes, lay out on a board and squeeze a liberal quantity of lemon juice over them. Leave to cool.

        Mix with heaps of fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) and finely sliced spring onions (scallions).
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

        Comment


        • Wonderful recipe paleo bird, I made that last night very tasty.

          Comment


          • She's a bunny, not a bird

            Sounds good, I'll try that recipe too one day. I'm incorporating potatoes into my diet a lot more now, used to be pretty low carb primal, but like paleo-bunny I'm also more and more gravitating towards the Perfect Health Diet (midway through the book, an excellent read, although for newcomers the Primal Blueprint is still a better introduction I think)

            Comment


            • Yes piggie, I'm a female bunny :-)

              I agree that lower carb eating according to Primal Blueprint works well for leptin reset and accelerating fat loss for those with a lot of stubborn fat left to lose. I have about 10 lbs fat left to lose and have found that swapping super-healthy resistant starch for fat has boosted my BMR and has improved my body strength and health all round.

              I ate low carb for too long. Am now finding a healthier balance.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

              Comment


              • Regular zoo around here
                65lbs gone and counting!!

                Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

                Comment


                • ops

                  Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                  Yes piggie, I'm a female bunny :-)

                  I agree that lower carb eating according to Primal Blueprint works well for leptin reset and accelerating fat loss for those with a lot of stubborn fat left to lose. I have about 10 lbs fat left to lose and have found that swapping super-healthy resistant starch for fat has boosted my BMR and has improved my body strength and health all round.

                  I ate low carb for too long. Am now finding a healthier balance.
                  sorry paleo bunny, do not know where bird came from, do you eat any fat or do you go no fat when eating this way I have a lot to lose.

                  Comment


                  • Hi-I'm on day 8 of the potato hack. Down 8 pounds. I'm curious to see I get more mileage out of this.

                    I did something similar once before when I was 19; I lost 29 pounds in 30 days eating 5 potatoes per day (one every 3 hours) with a 1/2 cup of skim milk. It was gruesome. It is easier without the skim milk!

                    I've lost over 100 pounds on low carb but the last 20 pounds were impossible on LC - I ended up doing a protein-sparing modified fast, which I can't face again.

                    I am fascinated with this.
                    2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
                    2010 Paleo Diet
                    2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

                    Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

                    Now down 120+ pounds lost

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Key Tones View Post
                      Hi-I'm on day 8 of the potato hack. Down 8 pounds. I'm curious to see I get more mileage out of this.

                      I did something similar once before when I was 19; I lost 29 pounds in 30 days eating 5 potatoes per day (one every 3 hours) with a 1/2 cup of skim milk. It was gruesome. It is easier without the skim milk!

                      I've lost over 100 pounds on low carb but the last 20 pounds were impossible on LC - I ended up doing a protein-sparing modified fast, which I can't face again.

                      I am fascinated with this.
                      Low carb is notorious for not working all the way to the end. After your run of potatoes, which shouldn't be over 2 weeks, you will find you can adjust your daily eating to include a potato or two and finally get rid of that last 10.

                      If you haven't, I'd suggest a read of the Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life to give you better understanding of how to incorporate starches in your life and the right amounts. When I first heard about the Potato Diet, I'd do it then go right back to LC. Nowadays, I'm in the daily 100-200g carb range and don't think I will be doing the Potato Diet anytime soon.

                      Thanks for sharing! Good luck

                      Comment


                      • Down 10 pounds now. It seems to be fat, not water or muscle. I am getting stronger and could bike uphill in a higher gear last night. My pant legs are loser (most of my weight is hips/thighs at this point).
                        2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
                        2010 Paleo Diet
                        2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

                        Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

                        Now down 120+ pounds lost

                        Comment


                        • Sorry, somehow I missed your post otzi, thank you for your reply.

                          Oh, yes, I do have the Perfect Health Diet/Jaminet; it is the best book on diet/health I believe. I was fascinated for a long time with Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet after following Peter/Hyperlipid and Harris/Acheovore, but I just could not lose any more weight at that point.
                          2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
                          2010 Paleo Diet
                          2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

                          Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

                          Now down 120+ pounds lost

                          Comment


                          • I began the potato diet again last Wednesday (did in Oct. and lost 8.2 lbs in 7 days) and I'm losing weight at an acceptable rate. I eat only white potatoes. I have been reading that sweet potatoes are just as effective? and are actually lower in carbs. (I also notice they are higher in sugar) I'm doing fine on the white potatoes but a sweet potato would be a nice change. Any info on this? I don't want to mess up the weight loss just for a change of taste. I'm trying to knock off the last 5 lbs to reach my goal weight and get this over with. I do plan to eat primal for the rest of my life.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
                              I began the potato diet again last Wednesday (did in Oct. and lost 8.2 lbs in 7 days) and I'm losing weight at an acceptable rate. I eat only white potatoes. I have been reading that sweet potatoes are just as effective? and are actually lower in carbs. (I also notice they are higher in sugar) I'm doing fine on the white potatoes but a sweet potato would be a nice change. Any info on this? I don't want to mess up the weight loss just for a change of taste. I'm trying to knock off the last 5 lbs to reach my goal weight and get this over with. I do plan to eat primal for the rest of my life.
                              I answered you on Nutrition Forum, too, but in thinking a little more, maybe a half a sweet potato a day wouldn't be so bad. Just don't make them the bulk of your day--just a snack.

                              Comment


                              • Hi Rosemary,

                                Hey, I did about 50/50 with white and sweet potatoes and did just fine.

                                While I found that the sweet potatoes were tastier (to me) and I could over-eat
                                them, I also found that when that DID happen, they kept me satiated forEVER.

                                So for example, I could get hella bored with 300g of white potato at 1pm but then
                                by four, I'd be ready for more, where with the sweet potato, I could have 500g and
                                I'd be full until 7.

                                So calorically it pretty much worked out to be the same with both potatoes.

                                Julie

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X