No announcement yet.

The Super Secret Potato Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys! Question for those of you who are good at the whole science side of things - thoughts on insulin resistance and the potato hack? I' have PCOS and IR (currently on 2000 mg of metformin daily). Primal along with the medication has helped me lose over 80kgs - but have stalled pretty badly over the last 6 months.

Would the insulin response be a bad thing for someone with insulin resistance? Generally we're told to eat a low and slow carbohydrate diet so while sweet potatos are still very much part of my diet, white potato and I said goodbye long ago (regretfully!).

Comment

• It'll be a good way for you to gain weight and cause BG control issues. Why the hell wd. you do this to yourself when it sounds like you've had some nice success?

Comment

• That's a no then?

I get what you’re saying Terry. I guess success is relative – should I be content with being merely overweight just because I was once morbidly obese? I don’t know.

I don’t see anything wrong with keeping an open mind about biohacks. I find it all very interesting personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moe View Post
          Hi guys! Question for those of you who are good at the whole science side of things - thoughts on insulin resistance and the potato hack? I' have PCOS and IR (currently on 2000 mg of metformin daily). Primal along with the medication has helped me lose over 80kgs - but have stalled pretty badly over the last 6 months.

Would the insulin response be a bad thing for someone with insulin resistance? Generally we're told to eat a low and slow carbohydrate diet so while sweet potatos are still very much part of my diet, white potato and I said goodbye long ago (regretfully!).
          I doubt anyone will be able to answer this...but, seems to me if you can eat sweet potatoes, you'd be OK with white potatoes. Maybe try eating a meal of potatoes and track your BG for a couple hours. Other than that, I don't want to get you in trouble, so be careful with what you do.

Comment

• @ Moe: My thought is try it for a max of 2 days, monitoring your blood sugar response. And try the real hack - only potatoes. You can't do any real harm in only 2 days and if you notice any major problems, stop. It's the n=1 thing. You'll never know about it's effect without trying.

And if it works for you, you'll know in 2 days as well.

And no, you don't need to settle for "overweight". Congrats on the weight loss - that's a huge accomplishment!

Comment

• I LOVE potatoes! Another 2 lbs gone overnight of the weekend bloat. 148.5 this morning. The lowest I've hit so far is 147.5, but with a rebound every weekend. 'Tis the season, right? I want to get below that low water mark this week.

And after an all potato day and a meat and potato supper, my evening meeting turned out to have Christmas snackies (very non-primal, but not too sweet). Despite moderate partaking in cheese ball and wheat crackers, I'm still down this morning!

I've decided to do another all potato day today until supper.

Comment

• Originally posted by marthat View Post
                I LOVE potatoes! Another 2 lbs gone overnight of the weekend bloat.
                WTG!!

I flip-flopped yesterday. I had 2 eggs with a little salmon first, then tators the rest of the day. My scale moved down 1.1
                65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• you know, I have seen major changes in my blood sugars over the few weeks I have been doing this. When I started, I saw some high bounces (145)and high fbs (103). Now, after 3 weeks of adding potatoes back in (and alternating potato only days for 3 days a week to tater days/primal dinners) I am seeing lower fbs (80s), and very quick bounces back down after eating potatoes. It makes me question things. I also wonder about the resistant starch aspect. Like maybe having a big bounce up is what we want--Maybe getting the big insulin surge, having improved insulin sensitivity, having free fatty acids mobilized to help clear the insulin is actually what we want. I don't know--just hypothesizing.
                  Last edited by Ouis; 12-19-2012, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                    WTG!!

I flip-flopped yesterday. I had 2 eggs with a little salmon first, then tators the rest of the day. My scale moved down 1.1
                    I hate you all. Day 4 and nothing (had dropped almost a pound of water weight and then it came back).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ouis View Post
                      you know, I have seen major changes in my blood sugars over the few weeks I have been doing this. When I started, I saw some high bounces (145)and high fbs (103). Now, after 3 weeks of adding potatoes back in (and alternating potato only days for 3 days a week to tater days/primal dinners) I am seeing lower fbs (80s), and very quick bounces back down after eating potatoes. It makes me question things. I also wonder about the resistant starch aspect. Like maybe having a big bounce up is what we want--Maybe getting the big insulin surge, having improved insulin sensitivity, having free fatty acids mobilized to help clear the insulin is actually what we want. I don't know--just hypothesizing.
                      You're definitely on to something Ouis - and this is precisely why the alarmists/haters and fake doctors need to shut
                      their traps and let people try things for THEMSELVES.

THEMSELVES!

Keep on keeping on,

Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by unchatenfrance View Post
                        I hate you all. Day 4 and nothing (had dropped almost a pound of water weight and then it came back).
                        You are a woman, correct? For some reason, the only group who reports not losing on the potato diet is women. I think you actually are losing fat, but maybe fluctuating up in water weight. Do you normally fluctuate in weight throughout the month? I guess you will have to look at longer term trends to see if it is working for you as opposed to daily readings.

I'm a guy, so not really qualified in this area...

Comment

• i will be reading these thread
                          Paleo Cook Book

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                            Do you normally fluctuate in weight throughout the month?
                            Yal see, that is what I am experiencing now I think. I had gained, which a pattern seems to be that I gain towards the middle of the month. So I am losing what I had gained. But had I not stayed on top of it with tators, I think I would have continued to gain for a few more days. Then it takes me a week to get that back off. So I am on top of it this month for a change
                            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by Ouis View Post
                              It makes me question things. I also wonder about the resistant starch aspect. Like maybe having a big bounce up is what we want--Maybe getting the big insulin surge, having improved insulin sensitivity, having free fatty acids mobilized to help clear the insulin is actually what we want. I don't know--just hypothesizing.
                              It also shows me there are things the experts may be missing. I think you may be correct in thinking that a diet designed to keep starch/glucose/sugar at a minimum may actually cause unforeseen problems with insulin/glucose sensitivity.

Specifically, eliminating potatoes, bananas, bread, grains, and lentils removes almost entirely all sources of "resistant starch" from our lives. I agree it's good to limit the grains, but without the resistant starch, we may be causing harm to our intestines.

Please click: Resistant starch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The big tie-in with resistant starch and intestinal health is butyrate, Butyrate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Potatoes are probably one of the best sources of butyrate we can feed to our intestinal tenants. It is certainly a convincing argument for at least adding potatoes into my diet on a regular basis.

Look at the two links I provided and then Google "Potato Butyrate" or similar search terms.

More info:
                              Whole Health Source: Butyric Acid: an Ancient Controller of Metabolism, Inflammation and Stress Resistance

Gut Flora and Inflammation | Mark's Daily Apple

The Human Colon in Evolution: Part 4, The Secrets of Butyrate | Melissa McEwen on food anthropology, economics, and culture

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                                Do you normally fluctuate in weight throughout the month?
                                What woman doesn't? :-) Yes I am female. I'll do it until Saturday for the first time around. I'll give it a few more tries after that - as long as I don't start gaining weight! Which doesn't seem to be the case. I'm just frustrated because I've tried everything - IF, keto, counting calories - and can't seem to break my homeostasis.

Comment

Working...
                                X