X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And there goes the neighborhood - reds and yukons are just like
    crystal meth and black tar heroin.

It's been nice knowing you. Farewell!

@Atticus - sweet stats! I've been using ketostix (certainly not the same as a meter) and noticing
    ketosis as well. Which is odd on a 100% carb week. But not too weird since the cals are so low.
    Whatever!

Julie

Comment

• <giggle>

Ketosis?! Whodathunkit

The other tator thread, as we know, was/is loooooooooooong so I might have just missed it, but I dont recall anyone checking for that?
      65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

• I know! Whowouldathunkitsonoonethunktodoit!

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Ok, time for an update. Added Fasting Glucose and Blood Ketone readings. Sort of surprised to be in ketosis each morning!
          Starting Weight: 194.6
          Day 5: 188

My boss is in town for lunch today, we'll see how this goes. Gotta eat just rice or potato for lunch, this will be fun to explain.
          You are doing exactly as I would have predicted. I think if you're gonna do it--do it right! The plainer the better. Good job.

Who would guess? A high carb, ketogenic diet that makes us both insulin sensitive and insulin resistant in a good way. I can only imagine what good stuff is happening with leptin and gut flora.

I've done this at lunches with people: get a baked potato off the salad bar or menu, get a big side of cheese, sour cream and butter, but cover your potato with salt, pepper, and chives--they'll never notice you are just eating a plain potato.

Comment

• Female: 5.4, small framed
            Start weight: 139
            Goal weight: 120

Generally, i find it extremely hard to lose weight. Regardless of my way of eating, calories have to be kept at roughly half of what I burn in order to see the scale move down. This is the case even when ketogenic paleo, and also when I did Weight Watchers years ago as a teenager - calories are very important for me because I am very sedentary!

Calorie burn is measured with my FitBit device which I wear daily. I find that it is a neat little motivational tool that gets me moving and more active than I otherwise would be.

December 02 - 139 pounds
            Calories: Not recorded
            Calories burned: 1764
            Steps taken: 4862

December 03 - 138.8 pounds
            Calories eaten: 911
            Calories burned: 1841
            Steps taken: 6851

December 04 - 138.8 pounds
            Calories eaten: 1128
            Calories burned: 1574
            Steps taken: 1099

December 05 - 138 pounds
            Calories eaten: 804
            Calories burned: 1655
            Steps taken: 1661

December 06 - 136.6 pounds
            Calories eaten: 790
            Calories burned: 2082
            Steps taken: 11750

December 07 - 137.4 pounds
            Calories eaten: 1042
            Calories burned: 1769
            Steps taken: 5692

December 08 - 138 pounds
            Calories eaten: 1014 (approx)
            Calories burned: 2367
            Steps taken: 18421

December 09 - 137 pounds

I have been eating a mixture of sweet potato and normal potato. The potatoes are baked skin on and just eaten whole, perhaps with a tiny sprinkling of salt and pepper. Sometimes I mash peeled potatoes with apple cider vinegar. The sweet potatoes are peeled, sliced up and baked on baking paper and eaten with a sprinkling of cinnamon. Only drink herbal teas all day long - with one caffeinated cup first thing in the morning.

Sleep has been great - normally on calorie intakes this low my sleep turns to custard, because I feel all antsy and wired up. But not with potatoes!

Energy and concentration - totally fine, no issues there

Bowl movements - PERFECT

Also, the potatoes are extremely delicious and satisfying. I stop eating when I am satisfied and when I am hungry again I can't wait to eat more potatoes! I love them and not sick of them yet. I generally eat a very spartan diet anyway with minimal spicing so this is a piece of cake for me!

All in all, this is an extremely easy, painless way to create a substantial calorie deficit. So far the weight loss is not spectacular, as I could have achieved the same results with a PSMF style diet (but that is usually just water weight). I am happy with what is happening in the mirror though
            Last edited by primarilyprimal; 12-08-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Great stats PP!

Ooooh! I've had my eye on that little FitBit, but since I already have
              the bodybugg, even my libran ways can't justify getting one.

Maybe when the BB croaks.

And yeah, this is WAY easier than PSMF, and you're right, half of what you'd lose
              on that WOULD be water, since one is eating all that (if you can call 500 cals a day
              "all that") NONFAT protein and only a few green bean type carbs.

Spare me, I'd do this ANY DAY - but PSMF, never again.

I hear you on not having to spice the potatoes up. I've just been using
              salt.

I grew up with a VERY BLAND FOOD EATING mother, so I barely know
              any better.... for veggies that is - now chicken wings and salsa, it better
              damn well burn my tongue off.

Keep up the great work!

Comment

• As far as I'm concerned... eating nothing but potatoes is just as paleo as eating nothing but meat. They're both extremes, but I've seen folks get huge benefits from the all-potato diet. Just do what feels right to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                  Great stats PP!

Ooooh! I've had my eye on that little FitBit, but since I already have
                  the bodybugg, even my libran ways can't justify getting one.

Maybe when the BB croaks.

And yeah, this is WAY easier than PSMF, and you're right, half of what you'd lose
                  on that WOULD be water, since one is eating all that (if you can call 500 cals a day
                  "all that") NONFAT protein and only a few green bean type carbs.

Spare me, I'd do this ANY DAY - but PSMF, never again.

I hear you on not having to spice the potatoes up. I've just been using
                  salt.

I grew up with a VERY BLAND FOOD EATING mother, so I barely know
                  any better.... for veggies that is - now chicken wings and salsa, it better
                  damn well burn my tongue off.

Keep up the great work!
                  I love my Fitbit. I don't believe the calorie count, but I at least try to average 10,000 steps per day. The new stair counter feature is nice too, it motivates me to take the stairs at work. My record is 50 flights in one day so far.

On spices, I've been loving the Trader Joe's "South African Smoke". It's just Paprika, Sea Salt, Garlic and Basil. Probably reproducible with what I already have at home, but it comes in a nice little grinder, convenient for my work. Makes potato lunches more tasty.

Comment

• I was reading about the psmf over the weekend and I was thinking of doing that one after I tried pklopp's potato plus next week. I might rethink that now.

Comment

• I'm lost. What's the PSMF?

Comment

• protein sparing modified fast

it's by lyle mcdonald - his "rapid fat loss handbook"

you basically figure out what "category" (1,2 or 3) you're
                        in, depending on how fat you are, figure out your calories,
                        and most of those calories are from fat free jackass turkey
                        breast that tastes like ass

i mean sure, you can make it taste okay, but there is ZERO
                        fat involved and not a lot of carbs

you *should* be able to google it and get more information, or go to
                        the dude's site - monkeyisland or something like that

Comment

• Originally posted by marthat View Post
                          I'm lost. What's the PSMF?
                          Protein Sparing Modified Fast. I was reading Lyle McDonald The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook by Lyle McDonald | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Comment

• Oh, duh! I guess I could have figured that out but there were no other references mentioned aside from the fact that you guys hated doing it and that it tasted bad...

PSMF's have been used in medicine for decades, not just for weight loss. But they are generally pretty dangerous to do for any length of time, never mind very hard to comply with. Glad we have Primal and the Secret Potato Diet instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by marthat View Post
                              Oh, duh! I guess I could have figured that out but there were no other references mentioned aside from the fact that you guys hated doing it and that it tasted bad...

PSMF's have been used in medicine for decades, not just for weight loss. But they are generally pretty dangerous to do for any length of time, never mind very hard to comply with. Glad we have Primal and the Secret Potato Diet instead.
                              We can call it the Secret Potato Modified Fast (SPMF) just to confuse people. ;-)

Comment

• Good idea Atticus!

Well, yanno, now that I think back to that dark time, I was probably doing
                                it wrong.

Not in the sense of food and calories, but in the workout department.

I was only a year into weightlifting and COMPLETELY ADDICTED (read: overtraining),
                                and I'm pretty sure during PSMF you're not supposed to train hard at all, but I did
                                anyway, so that probbbbbbbably made the low cals way worse as I was burning
                                about 2700 a day and eating less than 600.

Now that I'm 5 years older and SOOOO MUCH WIIIIIIISER, I could probably follow the
                                rules a lot better.......

Comment

Working...
                                X