No announcement yet.

Lies an anthropologist told me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He asked about it on the final exam, but this time he applied it to the human species as a whole. Basically, "Humans went from a low fat diet to a high fat/high carb diet. True or false?" *Sigh* I hate having to choose between the truth and what the professor wants to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Kata View Post
      He asked about it on the final exam, but this time he applied it to the human species as a whole. Basically, "Humans went from a low fat diet to a high fat/high carb diet. True or false?" *Sigh* I hate having to choose between the truth and what the professor wants to hear.
      What did I tell you? He hasn't really thought about the numbers?

I mean ...

Humans went from a low fat diet to a high fat/high carb diet ...
      The implication there seems to be that both "fat" (type unspecified) and "carbs" (type unspecified) are "bad". But what else is there?

There's only protein left, and that's almost always going to amount to less than about 30% of total calorific intake -- and often a lot less.

Basically, someone needs to say to him: There are only there macronutrients in there; sort them out.

As a civilization, i think we're hypnotized by numbers. Here's an example: most contemporary architects build horrendous buildings, because they have a quantitative grasp of things, but not a qualitative one. They can draw a ground-plan and work out stresses, but they don't understand how human beings really use buildings, and how to make a building "friendly". And they've never taken a pencil and tried to draw the facade of building and understand how that interacts with light and shadow.

I think this guy is the other way round. He probably has a good idea of the sort of foods people might pick up, how they would butcher, how they would cook, and all the rest of that. But he's never crunched the numbers.

Comment

Loren Cordain has the science in a nice convenient chart. Sorry this is a PDF but it's colorful and a pleasant read.
        http://thepaleodiet.com/wp-content/u...and-Miller.pdf
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I think one of the issues is the narrative that humans in general have gone from a fat-limited to a non-fat-limited diet.

I remember being taught, not too long ago, that highly active people hundreds of years ago could basically starve to death while stuffing themselves with venison and wild rabbits because they didn't have enough "fat". There was a whole thing about how these people needed to augment their diet with fatty animals (bears, beavers, and so on) otherwise they couldn't get enough calories when living off the land. It was a fairly major point as I recall.

If that's your perspective...that the native populations you are talking about were nutritionally fat-limited, it might seem very reasonable to say they had a low-fat diet even though by modern standards that is false. They just had a lower fat diet than they needed for optimal nutrition/health. Perhaps they even had less overall fat (including soybean oil and so on) than a modern 1st worlder, because we're eating more in general and soybean oil etc. - cheap fat - is loaded into a LOT of foods.

I could be totally incorrect but maybe that's where he was coming from....

Comment

Working...
          X