Coconut oil for preventing scars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut oil for preventing scars?

Last edited by Graycat; 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM.

I tried coconut oil on my new tattoo while it was healing. Just made me greasy, but I think I also used too much. Scentless lotion works better for that.

For wounds, I stick with Neosporin. It lightened the scarring where I had my belly button pierced significantly, several months after I'd removed the piercing.
    Depression Lies

Comment

Coconut oil and shea butter are both supposed to help with minimizing scar formation and stretch marks, but I don't know how effective they really are. Coconut oil is great for dry skin, though. It certainly won't hurt.

But you're not going to get a scar unless you got a pretty bad burn, anyway.
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

The best thing to get is pure vitamin E oil from a health food store. I've just started using it in the past 5 days on a scar from a shoulder reconstruction that I had 3 weeks ago and it is healing and disappearing rapidly! I'm amazed with it. I bought it in a little roll on tube and just apply it directly a couple of times a day.

Ask at your local store and let me know if it works for you too

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Huntress, I'll have to definitely get the vit. E oil. There's someone else in my family that could possibly benefit from it as well.

Comment

Coconut oil feels too greasy, when I put it on eczma patches I just felt like it wasn't absorbing

Comment

My housemate is a blacksmith. From years of experimentation he says that the best thing for burns is lavender oil. And from what I've seen he's not wrong. He was put onto the stuff nearly 10 years ago after he got a nasty burn across his palm from some steel that had probably gotten to about 400 degrees C that he couldn't treat properly at the time it happened (no running water, only a quench bucket). Within weeks there was no sign, no mark, you couldn't tell he'd been burnt.

Comment

I would recommend hypoallergenic scars therapy because it works on all scar types without causing breakouts. I used invicible scars for my facial and burnt scars and it worked great for me. It's a great moisturizer as well. However, the packaging is flashy which can certainly be overlooked over the beneficial cream inside it.

Comment

Are we allowed to laugh yet?

Comment

Originally posted by treborix View Post
                    My housemate is a blacksmith. From years of experimentation he says that the best thing for burns is lavender oil. And from what I've seen he's not wrong. He was put onto the stuff nearly 10 years ago after he got a nasty burn across his palm from some steel that had probably gotten to about 400 degrees C that he couldn't treat properly at the time it happened (no running water, only a quench bucket). Within weeks there was no sign, no mark, you couldn't tell he'd been burnt.
                    Ok that's interesting. I didn't know blacksmith still existed. Lavender tends to cause irritation on my skin. I have used natural deodorant with lavender and every time I get itchy from it.

Comment

Well, coconut oil IS antibacterial, so it would theoretically help wounds from getting infected I guess, which is important to prevent long-term scarring...
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Working...
                      X