Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kid will be dead by 25? I hope not but.... wow.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kid will be dead by 25? I hope not but.... wow.

    So, I had all these folks at my home today, and there is this one boy who is 8 years old.

    This is what I saw him eat today:

    1/2 an apple pie, with reddi whip all over the top
    3 Cokes
    4 - 5 glasses of sweet tea
    a donut

    So, his mom was at my house, of course with him. When I saw him going for the 3rd Coke, I said something like "No more soda, I bet your mom wouldn't let you have that much sugar." Little did I know his mom was right behind me. So then she said that it was OK for him to eat that way "because I don't believe in forcing kids to eat anything they don't want to eat." I was about to reply, but decided to keep my mouth shut...

    But later on I asked the boy what he had to eat all day.... and he said all the stuff I listed, but also he said 6 sodas.... I asked him if he ate any meat..... Nope. I asked if he had any veggies.... Nope.... I asked if he had any fruit and his reply was "yes, I had a chocolate covered strawberry and a slice of apple"...... and a juice box.

    Now, I guess this really isn't a primal or paleo topic, but I can't see how this kid can make it w/o tons oof health problems ahead...... Oh wait.... yes, he did eat something else at breakfast.... he had french toast.

    OK, not my kid, so I stayed out of it with the mom, but I really wanted to ask what the hell she's thinking.

    One thing tho.... the kid is skinny as a rail.... I don't know how or why, but he is.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

    Your Dad is So Fat

  • #2
    Bravo...it's probably just because I'm an asshole, but I know I woulda said something regardless of the potential s**t storm.

    Comment


    • #3
      I know a guy who had a diet like that when he was younger. He only drinks two cans of coke and has one cheeseburger a day now. He's 27, I'm also quite surprised he's not dead yet.

      The kid? Maybe have a talk with the parents, and tell them to "come back to you" if the boy has any health problems.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Primal Moose View Post
        Bravo...it's probably just because I'm an asshole, but I know I woulda said something regardless of the potential s**t storm.
        Well, I was hoping it was only because it was the holiday.... and they live 600 miles away, so I figured I really should stay quiet. But then, the kid's grandmother told me that is how he eats all the time, and in fact it is the way all 3 or her kids eat. I just happened to notice one of them.
        Start Date 9.24.12
        Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
        CW - 271 pounds
        First Goal - 255 by 2013
        Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
        Other Goal - to get off some medications
        Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
        NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

        Your Dad is So Fat

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Primal Papa View Post
          Well, I was hoping it was only because it was the holiday.... and they live 600 miles away, so I figured I really should stay quiet. But then, the kid's grandmother told me that is how he eats all the time, and in fact it is the way all 3 or her kids eat. I just happened to notice one of them.
          That's just disgusting....I understand not everyone is going to be primal. I understand that not everyone will eat healthy all of the time...but seriously??? Who the hell would let their children eat that way? And "because I don't believe in forcing kids to eat anything they don't want to eat"? Really? It's your f**king child, you're in charge and it's your job to provide for their well-being....that is a complete failure there.....says the college student with no children lol

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Primal Moose View Post
            That's just disgusting....I understand not everyone is going to be primal. I understand that not everyone will eat healthy all of the time...but seriously??? Who the hell would let their children eat that way? And "because I don't believe in forcing kids to eat anything they don't want to eat"? Really? It's your f**king child, you're in charge and it's your job to provide for their well-being....that is a complete failure there.....says the college student with no children lol
            LOL, no lie....

            AFTER I made that first post, the kid ate a whole dinner plate of nachos.... like 1/2 a bag's worth of Tostito's Scoops. That was when the grandmother told me about how they eat... used 1/2 a jar of queso dip.....

            Back when I was not eating this way, even I wouldn't have used 1/2 a jar of processed cheese dip. I love nachos, but the parts I like best are the peppers and the salsa, with some sour cream... The chips are just the conduit.... and the fake cheese doesn't even have to come into play.
            Start Date 9.24.12
            Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
            CW - 271 pounds
            First Goal - 255 by 2013
            Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
            Other Goal - to get off some medications
            Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
            NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

            Your Dad is So Fat

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Primal Papa View Post
              Well, I was hoping it was only because it was the holiday.... and they live 600 miles away, so I figured I really should stay quiet. But then, the kid's grandmother told me that is how he eats all the time, and in fact it is the way all 3 or her kids eat. I just happened to notice one of them.
              Child abuse.
              Sandra
              *My obligatory intro

              There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

              DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

              Comment


              • #8
                are the parents obese? Health issues? When people come to my house they just know that soda isnt going to be here so no point in asking for it. Once when we had my SIL over to eat...fed them blackened fish, veggies, salad and apple slices...they were SHOCKED that we eat so healthy. I just choose to not have or offer that kind of food in my home. My nieces and nephews will ask for soda and I hand them water instead! We have amazing well water and they always chug it down happily!
                Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                http://thewoodsygal.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by solstice View Post
                  are the parents obese? Health issues? When people come to my house they just know that soda isnt going to be here so no point in asking for it. Once when we had my SIL over to eat...fed them blackened fish, veggies, salad and apple slices...they were SHOCKED that we eat so healthy. I just choose to not have or offer that kind of food in my home. My nieces and nephews will ask for soda and I hand them water instead! We have amazing well water and they always chug it down happily!

                  The mom just lost 20 pounds and is close to proper weight. The dad needs to lose about 15.

                  I wish I still lived where we had fresh mountain spring water..... I used to lay under the pipe and drink as it came out of the mountain!
                  Start Date 9.24.12
                  Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
                  CW - 271 pounds
                  First Goal - 255 by 2013
                  Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
                  Other Goal - to get off some medications
                  Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
                  NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

                  Your Dad is So Fat

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nearly the same thing here: my nephew walks in, 12 yr old chubbs, looks at all the, may I just say, damn gorgeous food I had laid out, and honest to God said, this shit ain't gonna fly. My mouth fell open, my husband grabbed the back of his sweatshirt and hauled him outside to chat. They came back in, the kid said, I'm sorry, Aunt Judy, I'm just used to eating sliders, fritos and dip and cakes and pies. I know you went to a lot of trouble on all this. All this was:

                    Butternut sage soup
                    Stuffed mushrooms
                    Bacon wrapped pecan dates & pineapple
                    Chicken liver pâté on platter of org celery, cukes, carrots & peppers

                    Beef & mixed veggies stir-fry
                    Salmon cakes
                    Crispy curried sweet potato coins
                    Roasted pearl onions

                    Platter of asparagus spears, halved cherry tomatoes, olives, cauliflower hummus & many types of cheese

                    Carrot gingerbread muffins w/coconut frosting

                    26 other folks thought it was "luscious".. Stuffed those mushrooms with Italian sausage, spinach, onion, red pepper, cooked in bacon fat, yum! My aunt brought loaves of homemade bread that everyone other than moi enjoyed. Deal was adults only, the kid came at the last minute, which was fine, I got over his rude comment, DH not so much because he knew how hard I'd worked.

                    I'm using PRACTICAL PALEO for recipes this week. Love all of my primal and paleo cookbooks but hers is really good.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I guess I am pretty out of the main stream and so is our 14 yr old son. We never encounter kids that eat that way. We unschool and most of our friends do some sort of alternative education maybe that's why the kids we know don't eat that kind of junk.

                      I'm all for not controlling kids, that's one of the tenets of unschooling, but if that kid drinks soda and eat craps it's the parents that are buying it for him, they made the choice to purchase unhealthy foods. We buy healthy foods and DS can what he wants when he wants but I feel it is my responsibility to provide nutritious foods. To let the corporations influence your child's eating habits and call that "not controlling" is just lazy.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        While I'm generally against forcing kids to eat what they don't like because I believe that my parents making me "clean my plate," made me into a fat kid (swallowed what I didn't like whole so I could eat what I did like in peace), I think those parents have taken permissive and turned it into stupid.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                        B*tch-lite

                        Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                          While I'm generally against forcing kids to eat what they don't like because I believe that my parents making me "clean my plate," made me into a fat kid (swallowed what I didn't like whole so I could eat what I did like in peace), I think those parents have taken permissive and turned it into stupid.
                          I also remember the dinner fights and sitting at the table crying. I dont do that to my kids...but I also think at their ages 6 and 8, they should still be asking me before taking food. I think it's a HUGE help that we dont have TV and all of those influential food commercials bombarding my kids!
                          Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                          http://thewoodsygal.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            that is horrible that the kid only ate that stuff you listed....but i didn't eat paleo my whole life. When i was a kid I loved my sodas and chips and fast food and candy. Though i did eat my mom's homemade foods as well, we ate plenty of the junk food too. And we were skinny as can be. But eventually the body can't handle the junk, and the individual needs to take care of themselves. Hopefully the kid somehow realizes sooner than later how important it is to put the right stuff in his body.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                              Nearly the same thing here: my nephew walks in, 12 yr old chubbs, looks at all the, may I just say, damn gorgeous food I had laid out, and honest to God said, this shit ain't gonna fly. My mouth fell open, my husband grabbed the back of his sweatshirt and hauled him outside to chat. They came back in, the kid said, I'm sorry, Aunt Judy, I'm just used to eating sliders, fritos and dip and cakes and pies. I know you went to a lot of trouble on all this. All this was:

                              Butternut sage soup
                              Stuffed mushrooms
                              Bacon wrapped pecan dates & pineapple
                              Chicken liver pâté on platter of org celery, cukes, carrots & peppers

                              Beef & mixed veggies stir-fry
                              Salmon cakes
                              Crispy curried sweet potato coins
                              Roasted pearl onions

                              Platter of asparagus spears, halved cherry tomatoes, olives, cauliflower hummus & many types of cheese

                              Carrot gingerbread muffins w/coconut frosting

                              26 other folks thought it was "luscious".. Stuffed those mushrooms with Italian sausage, spinach, onion, red pepper, cooked in bacon fat, yum! My aunt brought loaves of homemade bread that everyone other than moi enjoyed. Deal was adults only, the kid came at the last minute, which was fine, I got over his rude comment, DH not so much because he knew how hard I'd worked.

                              I'm using PRACTICAL PALEO for recipes this week. Love all of my primal and paleo cookbooks but hers is really good.
                              Judy: All I can say is: You are a Goddess in the kitchen! Thankfully you exercised some good old fashioned self-control -- because with all your chin up training --- that kid might have sustained some serious cerebral damage if you had taken him out back to teach him a lesson in manners yourself! He got off easy this time! In any event, how you put this wonderful, wonderful dinner together is just fabulous and I'm sure your guests will be exclaiming about it for some time. I'd like to see you become a network host of primal cooking ! Boom! /Louisa
                              ----------------------------------------
                              F, 48, 5'10"
                              Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                              Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

                              Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X