Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infrequent Poop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    what is your alcohol intake? That can sometimes cause issues. Also I second the probiotics!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

    Comment


    • #17
      Probiotics + fats + magnesium citrate did the trick for me.
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

      "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

      Comment


      • #18
        If it helps any, it's certainly something that can change. Most of my younger years and into my 30's I'd often go 4 or 5 days without. Now every day or two.

        I'd say it's more of a concern if this is something that's recently happened but if it's just the way you are then probably no reason to sweat it.

        Some simple things to check:

        1. Yogurt, other fermented foods and perhaps some probiotic caps, just to perk up the flora

        2. Make sure you're getting enough water. Doesn't have to be "8 glasses a day" but if you never drink any straight water try getting into the habit.

        3. "Bulletproof coffee" seems to be effective for some people.

        I could go on but really there's little point in chasing down a cure if there's no problem. If "regular" for you means once a week and nothing has changed, then it's no biggie.



        AC

        Comment


        • #19
          I don't think there is anything wrong with it personally. I don't poop everyday (and frankly I'm amazed that people do!). It doesn't cause problems and I don't generally have any intestinal issues so.... I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it!

          Comment


          • #20
            Hell, for all we know more time in the gut could mean better digestion.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Hell, for all we know more time in the gut could mean better digestion.
              The native people of the planet poop daily & easily without strain. I've lived with & among enough hill tribe villages & rural 3rd world communities, read enough about bowel health since I have ruptured discs that effect my BMs. BMs ought not be an issue if the gut flora is profuse & the intestinal lining is intact & healthy. Also, abdominal organ & muscular core strength, water consumption, exercise such as daily walking @ a good pace, little to no stress during meal times, slow eating & proper chewing all are factors in maintaining regular & easy BMs.

              Since going full primal, pretty quickly I was constipated, which was not ok, not acceptable w/ me at all - due to my disc ruptures & being told specifically by numerous physicians to keep my bowels strong & to keep things moving along daily.

              And then when I maxed my daily consumption of a wide variety of home-fermented foods & probiotic supplements & enzymes, the flood gates reopened & much healing ensued in my gut & blood, body & brain. Now many months later, not maxing out on fermented foods like I used to, but still eating & drinking them daily in lesser but sufficient quantities, I still am moving my bowels 2-3 times a day. Constipation is NOT part of optimal health in my opinion, in my experience nor is it in the views of most every respected health professional I know or health authors/bloggers I read & respect.
              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

              Comment


              • #22
                Slow turds do not always equal constipation. You do not know everything, Betorq. You're a pretty cool guy, but you've got to stop pretending you know everything. Pooping 2-3 times a day like you claim sounds like a problem of its own. Maybe you should get help with that.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

                Comment


                • #23
                  When I stay low-carb for more than a week, I get bound up. And that's even with lots of fat in my diet.
                  Upping carb consumption for a day gets things back to normal for me.
                  Don't know why that is, but that's what happens with me.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    You're not bound up if your food DISSOLVES entirely. Fat turns almost entirely into energy. Try eating only fat for a day or two, and you probably aren't going to take any impressive dumps. That doesn't mean digestion is abnormal.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                      there's little point in chasing down a cure if there's no problem. If "regular" for you means once a week and nothing has changed, then it's no biggie.
                      I don't see a problem.

                      Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
                      I don't think there is anything wrong with it personally. I don't poop everyday (and frankly I'm amazed that people do!). It doesn't cause problems and I don't generally have any intestinal issues so.... I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it!
                      Exactly.

                      Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      Hell, for all we know more time in the gut could mean better digestion.
                      Yes I think that the CW about "transit time" is silly. Your intestines are not a transport device.

                      Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                      The native people of the planet poop daily & easily without strain. I've lived with & among enough hill tribe villages & rural 3rd world communities, read enough about bowel health
                      "The native people" in the 3rd world live on mostly carbs. Who says there is any straining going on? What you have read is right out of the same book that tells you about "healthywholegrains" and eating oat bran.

                      Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      Slow turds do not always equal constipation. You do not know everything, Betorq. You're a pretty cool guy, but you've got to stop pretending you know everything. Pooping 2-3 times a day like you claim sounds like a problem of its own. Maybe you should get help with that.
                      I have had some of his fermented stuff and spent a lot of time in the bathroom afterwards. I don' think that is optimal for absorbing nutrition.

                      Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      You're not bound up if your food DISSOLVES entirely. Fat turns almost entirely into energy. Try eating only fat for a day or two, and you probably aren't going to take any impressive dumps. That doesn't mean digestion is abnormal.
                      This. The raison d'etre of your digestive system is NOT the production of poop. It is the processing and breaking down of food and then absorbing it as your body's nutrition. If you are eating foods that digest fully and efficiently, there will not be much waste product. This is a good thing. Is is not pathological.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        You guys do realize we're arguing about how often we should poop right? How old are we?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I go when I wake up, as soon as I get to work, after several bottle of water and after lunch. Today I feel bloated as I only went a little bit and my stomach is achy so I know I'm constipated but not sure why. I had french fries and catfish Sunday while watching football, so maybe that's why???? I know I'm about to have some coffee to see if I can move things along!.
                          Health is Wealth!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X