choosing the lesser of two evils

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choosing the lesser of two evils

hi everybody, sometimes one has to eat outside home, not because of the desire to cheat, but because of the social demands of the city. so which do you think is worse, sweets (desserts, cookies, ice cream) or fried food (french fries, chicken, etc)?

I would check both foods for bugs. If there's any bugs in them, eat the one that has the smallest bug. So, in other words, the lesser of two weevils...

Couldn't resist
    Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Sugar is worse for weight gain, bad oils worse for health IMHO, so I would probably go for fried food.
      You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

IMHO wheat is the worst for both, weight management and health. And combining it with crappy oil would be a recipe for disaster.

Comment

I'd choose sweets as a social treat given those choices. The smell alone of anything fried is revolting.
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

i'd absolutely go with sweet over fried, but you can narrow it down further. if you go sweet with no wheat, you're doing the best - ice cream! honest, real ice cream, is not that bad at all. now that doesn't mean that most of the stuff out there is going to be high quality, so caveat emptor.

on the other side of the coin, there's a place here in LA that does french fries in real, rendered LARD. that's right - potatoes, salt and lard. in that case, we have a clear winner.

Comment

Originally posted by oberges View Post
              hi everybody, sometimes one has to eat outside home, not because of the desire to cheat, but because of the social demands of the city. so which do you think is worse, sweets (desserts, cookies, ice cream) or fried food (french fries, chicken, etc)?
              If you live in a city, you should have healthier options than that. Check out the grocery store -- smoked salmon, piece of cheese, olives, greek salad, cream cheese -- all for about $8.00 /Lu
              ----------------------------------------
              F, 48, 5'10"
              Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
              Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                I'd choose sweets as a social treat given those choices. The smell alone of anything fried is revolting.
                Yes.
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I don't know what city you live in that doesn't have a grocery store.
                  F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Sweets without wheats is the best form of cheats!
                    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Comment

I like fried foods. I fry my squid in avocado oil and it's freakin' yummy - and I got help here at MDA, so the flour I use is pure tapioca. I'm not a big sweets freak. So, I guess push come to shove, I'd opt for fried. I don't know if that's the "right" choice, but it's what I'd do. Skipping dessert is socially acceptable in most circles.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

For those talking about grocery stores, I suspect that the question was more about social eating, as in what to do when you have a business lunch in a restaurant or coffee shop with other people.
                        My choice would be to go for a meal rather than a dessert. Most restaurants have a meal option that will not leave you feeling too bad, if the batter on your fried chicken is too thick for your tastes it can be discreetly peeled off and you still have meat to gnaw on. Desserts, on the other hand, are harder to find without ingredients that will make you deeply regret the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Picturedragon View Post
                          For those talking about grocery stores, I suspect that the question was more about social eating, as in what to do when you have a business lunch in a restaurant or coffee shop with other people.
                          My choice would be to go for a meal rather than a dessert. Most restaurants have a meal option that will not leave you feeling too bad, if the batter on your fried chicken is too thick for your tastes it can be discreetly peeled off and you still have meat to gnaw on. Desserts, on the other hand, are harder to find without ingredients that will make you deeply regret the choice.
                          Even he shittiest of restaurants offers a salad with chicken option.....Wendy's and McDonalds offer those options. And hold the poison oil slick dressing on the side (ditch it on your way to the washroom). And personally, I don't apologize to anyone for my healthy eating habits. I gave up a long time ago trying to make other people feel good about their choices. Either fast, or opt for a salad and give up the guilt.
                          ----------------------------------------
                          F, 48, 5'10"
                          Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                          Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthBeachPrimal View Post
                            Sweets without wheats is the best form of cheats!
                            Nice rhyme, I like that.
                            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
                              Even he shittiest of restaurants offers a salad with chicken option.....Wendy's and McDonalds offer those options. And hold the poison oil slick dressing on the side (ditch it on your way to the washroom). And personally, I don't apologize to anyone for my healthy eating habits. I gave up a long time ago trying to make other people feel good about their choices. Either fast, or opt for a salad and give up the guilt.
                              I would tend to agree, but many times the chicken on a salad is injected with all kinds of crap. No matter what, unless you have the label in front of you, there's no way of knowing what's in food you didn't cool yourself.

I had a grilled chicken breast at KFC once early on, and I felt like crap. Just a plain grilled chicken breast, which is about as simple of an idea as you can get, but the ingredients were:

Fresh Chicken Marinated with: Salt, Sodium Phosphate, and Monosodium Glutamate Seasoned with: Maltodextrin, Salt, Bleached Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Palm Oil, Natural Flavor, Garlic Powder, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Chicken Fat, Chicken Broth, Autolyzed Yeast, Beef Powder, Rendered Beef Fat, Extractives of Turmeric, Dehydrated Carrot, Onion Powder, and Not More Than 2% Each of Calcium Silicate and Silicon Dioxide Added as Anticaking Agents.
                              Contains Wheat and Soy.
                              Scary.
                              Durp.

Comment

Working...
                              X