Best Dark Chocolate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Dark Chocolate

I read the "Is It Primal" post which contains information about soy lecithin. In short: it isn't primal, but in small amounts "isn't too bad" for you. After reading that I went looking for dark chocolate that doesn't contain any soy lecithin. There are options, however, everything I've found is ridiculously expensive.

Has anyone found inexpensive, yet still good quality, dark chocolate which doesn't contain soy lecithin?

The other day I found Lindt Excellence 85% extra dark for $2 a bar at TJMaxx. It contains no soy lecithin.

With that said, my favorite is Green and Black's 85%, but I can't find that one below $3 a bar. When it comes to treats like that, I only buy them once in a while, because my grocery bill adds up very fast.

Comment

I buy the Lindt Excellence 90% for $2/bar regularly, but last week I found a bar of 99% at World Market that had nothing bad in it, and it was delicious. Not bitter at all; tasted even sweeter than the Lindt. I don't remember what brand or the price, but I'm going back to buy some more today or tomorrow.

Comment

Anything in two digits is weaksauce. Try the Ghiradelli 100% dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          All riiiight Someone on board with me with that bar It is quite fruity - I love it!

Usually if I want a cheap bar, I buy one of those for $3 at Whole Foods (4 oz!) or a standard Lindt bar for $2.50. I am also a fan of Green and Black's (I think the 85% doesn't have soy lecithin) for $3 because their chocolates are extremely rich, making your $$ stretch out more.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

If I ever see one, I'll grab it. Haven't found one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              If I ever see one, I'll grab it. Haven't found one yet.
              100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar

Enjoy.

Comment

Epiphany: I bet it's in the baking aisle, not the chocolate aisle. I'll check there. Seriously, though, I wonder if it can be any tastier than the 99% World Market bar. Sounds like a side-by-side taste test is in order! Will update.

Comment

I've never found anything over 85% where I am (Australia). I'll check the baking aisle but even there I'm pretty the 'dark' cooking chocolate is 70%.

I eat a lot of raw chocolate at the moment, it is pretty expensive though. I also have raw cacao butter which I add to smoothies and things sometimes. I guess 100% chocolate tastes similar?

Comment

It tastes like ash.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I am partial to raw organic cacao powder, but the raw organic cacao nibs take some getting used to. I recently read that green and black is owned by Cadbury, Dagoba is owned by Hershey. Edited to include the company info. I found. Looks like Lindt may be it's own company but it does not say on it's website as far as I can see.

So disappointing. When I buy chocolate bars I generally stick to equal exchange brand as they source their chocolate from places that do not use child slave labor. Kind of made other chocolate lose it's appeal learning that cacao beans are often harvested using child slaves and heavily sprayed with pesticides.
                      Last edited by Primal123; 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                        It tastes like ash.
                        I used to think so too but my taste buds have changed. The 88% Panther bar I used to love now tastes sickly sweet.

Comment

70% is the perfect chocolate.

Chocolove 70% is my favorite. Also the almonds and sea salt one.
                          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Hit World Market today and grabbed a 90% Lindt bar and the World Market brand 99% bar (actually, I bought a few of these to stockpile). Each bar was $2.00. I did a side-by-side comparison taste test in the parking lot. You know, for the sake of science.

Conclusions:
                            -World Market 99% bar has great stats--the whole bar has only 2g of sugar, and the whole ingredients list is only chocolate & sugar.
                            -World Market 99% bar tastes sweeter than the Lindt bar.
                            -Both bars are delicious. Hard to pick a favorite; each has a very distinct flavor, and it would probably depend on my mood that day when deciding which to eat.
                            -It's very easy to eat ALL of both bars in the span of 5 minutes before going into REI to shop.
                            -If the only thing you eat all day to that point is two big 90+% dark chocolate bars, plus about three times as much green tea as you usually have in an average day, you will get JITTERY.
                            -If you go work out right after consuming all that dark chocolate and green tea, an hour after working out you will FEEL LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO DIE AND EXPLODE AT THE SAME TIME.

On the plus side, now I think I can sit on the extra chocolate I bought for a week or so without wanting to eat any. I think I shock therapied myself out of dark chocolate for a while.

Comment

The 90% Lindt bar is more nutty, while the lower %s are more fruity.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                              X