Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee and gluten/grains?

Someone sent me this:
    Gluten Issues or Celiac? Don’t Drink Coffee!

Discuss. Personally she isn't quoting any research and I have never found coffee to exacerbate (or improve) my IBD nor have I ever heard anyone say it has.

Ohhhh goddammit!

Coffee was the one thing I had left...
    Gave up chocolate and gave up tea because I'm a walking time bomb for kidney stones... gave up all the other bad** habits... except for one or two lovely cups of coffee 4-5 days a week because it's freaking delicious.

And now that's gonna cause autoimmune problems too!
    I want more information.

**bad- chocolate, tea, and coffee are not really "bad"... they have wonderful properties when consumed in moderation... by people who can process them properly and who don't have medical issues evidently. Goddammit!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Don't believe everything you read. Coffee is my line in the sand.

Comment

I've given up everything else... and had great positive results with my autoimmune issues.

I will likely be drinking my coffee while I do further research on this one though...
        I will only give up this last comfort very begrudgingly.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Things I will not give up:

Coffee, beef, bacon, scotch, barbells, guns, you can have the rest.
          "Go For Broke"
          Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
          Small Kine-168/9%
          Now- 200/8%
          Goal- 210/6%

Comment

I'm less complex. I just need coffee, chocolate, and tequila.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

bloody hell, not coffee!

le sigh, where to find money for the cross reactivity test to find out?

Comment

I dunno if it is because I am gluten sensitive or plain coffee-sensitive, but I feel the best when I don't drink coffee. I don't like the idea of giving up tea, but maybe I should do that too. Tea prompts me to snack anyway (I love 'tea with something' in the evening).
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Leida, I am like that with coffee.

Comment

For years, I played the 'let's find the least damaging snack to have with tea after supper', and maybe the way to go is to give up tea & just drink water and broth. I am trying to stop playing the games with food, and it looks like one of the good venues to pursue.

To clarify, coffee impacts my mood & energy swings and sleep. I think it also contributes a lot to bladder problems.

Now with teas, I drink green and herbals, and what I am wondering is if I am getting some odd chemicals along with the leaves and for the bagged teas, hell knows what goes into them at all. And tea would be one thing I have never tried to drop. Sounds like a good experiment to me.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I get bloated when I drink coffee. It might just be the quality of coffee that I normally get outside of home or the small amount of casein in the cream (although I sometimes drink it black), but I think I have a cross-reaction with them as gluten.
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Honestly, research has shown that coffee can have a positive impact on those who are prone to colon cancer. My gluten and dairy intolerance seem to have come along with other issues that tell me (and my dr.) I am at increased risk of colon cancer so I drink coffee for medicinal purposes (That's my excuse and I am sticking to it Truly, I have never noticed any connection between coffee and my gluten intolerance. I do get bloating if I have cream in my coffee but not if I have coconut milk or almond milk.
                        Last edited by llong; 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                          Things I will not give up:

Coffee, beef, bacon, scotch, barbells, guns, you can have the rest.
                          for me replace the scotch with bourbon and barbells with walks in the woods and add chocolate

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                            Ohhhh goddammit!

Coffee was the one thing I had left...
                            Gave up chocolate and gave up tea because I'm a walking time bomb for kidney stones... gave up all the other bad** habits... except for one or two lovely cups of coffee 4-5 days a week because it's freaking delicious.

And now that's gonna cause autoimmune problems too!
                            I want more information.

**bad- chocolate, tea, and coffee are not really "bad"... they have wonderful properties when consumed in moderation... by people who can process them properly and who don't have medical issues evidently. Goddammit!
                            Tea and kidney stones?
                            Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                            Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                            Current Weight: 235 pounds
                            Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Coffee for me is like chocolate for some people.

Coffee good. No coffee bad. Bad coffee is worse than no coffee.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                              X