Facebook luddite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook luddite

I've managed to make it all this time without facebook. Do you think I should join? Is there any way to join and not really be you? I hate the whole nosy big brother aspect of it.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

I have a friend who has a FB profile that's pretty disconnected from her real-world self. False name, no contact info given, no friending family members or co-workers.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Don't do it. I created an account about 5 years ago, so I could see come pictures a friend posted. Next thing I knew, I was getting all these friend requests, sometimes from people I didn't even know! Now I never log into my FB account, and I am seriously thinking of deleting it. I have NO INTEREST in what all those people are doing, and I dont like the idea of people knowing what I'm doing or where I am, etc.

Facebook seems like a teeny bopper activity. OK I just convinced myself, I'm deleting my account.

Comment

there's no point in trying to maintain anonymity if you're going to join.

if you join, it will take over your life. bwahahahahah... serious waste of hours.

Comment

There is no way I would ever create a FB account.

I do have a Google+ account though.

Comment

Far as I can tell Facebook is most egregiously used by women aged 12-30 as an ego masterbator. They post the most inane of bullshit statuses, followed by memes making the rounds within the herd, as well as cute animal youtube clips and feed relentlessly off of the "likes" and the effortless herbivore male attention they get. Throw in smartphones to enable constant attention-whoring even when away from their desktops and the results get interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Grok View Post
              There is no way I would ever create a FB account.

I do have a Google+ account though.
              Oh, so you're a Google employee, are you?

But really, with Google's track record on privacy protection, I don't think there's much difference except for the number of users.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I actually use FB for two reasons : to watch all my cousins' kids grow up (we're all scattered across the country), and to get personal training advice from reknown powerlifting coaches (also far away).

But, whatever. It is what you make it.

Comment

I don't do nuthin' - no Facebook, no Twitter, no blog, no thousands of photos up on the internet, no whatever else there is out there... except for the MDA, and even here I have no pics. I actually just started emailing a few months ago for the very first time, too, but only a handful of relatives have that info, and they are the ones I actually like enough to have over for a stay.

I know the computer conferences hubby goes to say that privacy is long dead, but I don't intend to make it easy for John Q. Public. And I guess I just don't get the thing where your whole life has to be up on some photonic version of a big screen for the enjoyment of the world.

If you had a clear "purpose" for being there, like Miscellangela and powerlifting, strong maybe. Otherwise - nah.
                  I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I don't have a FB account either, and really don't plan to do so, though at times I briefly consider it. No interest in posting personal or family photos there, or keeping updates. I know my mom and probably everyone else in the family is on, but I know how to contact them if I want to. Or have photos to share.

What annoys me is how so many businesses put their stuff on FB, like specials and promotions and so on, and you have to be a FB member to access their information. WTF? Seriously?
                    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

After my Dad died all my cousins joined and I like watching what they are doing as we would not be in touch at all otherwise. After joining I found abunch of old high school friends that I hadn't stayed in touch with either. I think its kind of nice to stay in touch with people that you wouldn't have otherwise. Which someone might say why bother if you wouldn't have bothered. Because its easy. Writing and emailing take time and energy. Looking at facebook daily does not. I also got hooked into some scrabble type games that I play daily - enjoy them (also through facebook)

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        I've managed to make it all this time without facebook. Do you think I should join? Is there any way to join and not really be you? I hate the whole nosy big brother aspect of it.
                        What's the point of joining if you aren't you?

People are always freaking out about anonymity and big brother and all, but they forget that THEY have control over their privacy settings, and THEY have control over their content. Don't say shit you wouldn't want your mom or potential boss to hear. Nobody needs to know where you are, who you're with, what seats you just booked for the monster truck show, what satellite radio you're listening to, how many games of bubble pop you played today...unless your post it or your privacy settings are wide open.

You can filter your 'friends' into categories and tailor your posts to lists. I have a short list of friends who I feel comfortable being completely unfiltered. About half my contacts are 'acquaintance' status and see just a fraction of what I have to say.

I get a wide variety of paleo/primal/real food/low carb content from facebook. And sooo many cute cat photos. They should really call it Catbook.

Facebook I get. Its Twitter that annoys me.
                        Sandra
                        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          If you want to be private there's no point to being on facebook. Once you join you cannot delete your account, only deactivate it.

Facebook has its uses, as people have pointed out. Depends if you want those benefits more than you want privacy.
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

I very rarely log in to mine anymore. It's useful when I want to track down someone I haven't talked to in forever, but I don't stay logged in for very long, and I don't post anything. If I had been more aware of what it was and what it would become when I signed up, I would have used more fake information.

Comment

I have used Facebook to keep in touch with and see pics of friends who have between the group of us have migrated to the 4 corners of the world.
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X