No announcement yet.

Facebook luddite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"About half my contacts are 'acquaintance' status and see just a fraction of what I have to say"

Wrong, once Google gets hold of it anyone can.

I use FB reluctantly, mainly to get to know some guys who go off-road motorcycling, as it's somewhat dangerous doing it by yourself.

Today I used to rant my disgust as some people who decided to plant themselves directly beside my father and law while we were fishing. I don't care how often you go there or if it's your favorite spot or whatever, if someone else is already there then it's just plain rude to sit beside them. Like trying to share a bathroom stall or something...

But if you don't already have an account? No, you certainly don't need one.

My advice is don't start, as you cannot remove stuff properly and you get all sorts of weird updates and stuff, and the user interface truly sucks.

Not to mention sucking time and your phone's battery... I'm a little tired of my phone (and my data plan) telling me that someone "liked" a photo that someone else tagged that had me in it or something. Like I care?

Then you get the whole "why didn't you 'like' so and so?" stuff, where you're apparently obliged to tick the 'like' thing like a bloody lab rat...

If you want to keep up with some friends, share updates and photos, try 'Wattsapp' on Android, iPhone or Windows mobile. Takes awhile to get all your friends on there but to me it has all the benefits of FB without the downsides.

AC

Comment

Part of me despises FB, everything about it. But, I have made a lot of real friends and gotten in touch with wonderful relatives who would not be in my life without it. Necessary evil for me.
      Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

I have an account, but I rarely use it, I've never really 'got' the FB thing, I just don't understand what people see in it, or the public sharing of information.

I mean if I want to tell people stuff I'll e-mail or phone THEM, for organising group mountain-bike rides I always found forums more appropriate, and I use a yahoo group for a little close-knit group of home-edders to orgainise meet ups. I just don't see why FB is better for any of those. I'm not into broadcasting everything I do to everyone I have met ever, nor am I interested in filtering through morons broadcasting everything they do to everyone they know to get to one bit of information I might need.

It does seem to be getting more and more difficult to ingnore as people and businesses default to it for communication. It seems to be that if you 'put it on facebook' you have done everything you need to do to communicate information, and if you miss something it's your fault for not being welded to facebook 24/7

Having said that, I am going to start using it more as a way to promote my etsy shop I'll be starting soon, but it will be very busisness focused.

The whole thing reminds me too much of 'Blind Faith' by Ben Elton
        You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          I've managed to make it all this time without facebook. Do you think I should join? Is there any way to join and not really be you? I hate the whole nosy big brother aspect of it.
          If you don't have a specific reason for joining Facebook, I'd say that you shouldn't bother. You won't get enough out of it to make up for the loss of privacy. The privacy part is not just giving your name, location, etc.; once you join, Facebook also tracks everywhere you go on your computer while you are logged on to Facebook. Supposedly, they do not track you after you log off the site. Not sure I believe that.
          Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

That tracking everything I do on my computer is the thing that bugs me. I guess I won't join. I feel like an idiot though sometimes because I know so little about facebook (and even less about Twitter). I'm a web developer and you think I'd know something about it, but I have hardly ever been to the facebook website since 90% of the time if I click on a link it tells me I have to join in order to see anything. So I have hardly ever seen anything. I think the most I have seen on the facebook website are documentation pages for web developers, but even then I've barely looked at that, either. All anybody ever wants for their website is a facebook button.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post

Not to mention sucking time and your phone's battery... I'm a little tired of my phone (and my data plan) telling me that someone "liked" a photo that someone else tagged that had me in it or something. Like I care?

AC
              You can turn off notifications on your phone AND in facebook.
              Sandra
              *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                Oh, so you're a Google employee, are you?
                Clever humor is funny.

Comment

I had an FB account for about two weeks once (at the urging of my sister who wanted me to be able to see her photos without going through the arduous task of actually sending me an email). I came to the conclusion that FB is the single biggest waste of time yet invented. I took my profile down. Not worth the time.

Comment

It is possible to join and not have it take over your life. I find it useful to keep in contact with friends without which I never would have kept in touch.
                    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                      It is possible to join and not have it take over your life. I find it useful to keep in contact with friends without which I never would have kept in touch.
                      You must be a very special person
                      You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
                        Agreed. Like anything, it is what you make of it. I've had fun reconnecting with old friends that I had lost touch with over the years.
                        "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
                        ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

I have an account that I never use. All friend requests are ignored. I only log in to check on DD or look at the FB page of a business that interests me. I do think businesses on FB seems a bit unprofessional, though...idk...I'm old fashioned, I guess.

14yo DD informs me that FB is "only for old people now" and 21yo DS says "it's the new MySpace", so if you're cool, don't bother, lol.
                          50yo, 5'3"
                          SW-195
                          CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                          GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Twitter has made sports events awesome. Observations and comments get made by reporters that never make the news stories. Ditto for many breaking events around the area. It's kind of like listening to the police scanner used to be. FWIW, many of the loss of privacy things were also said about cordless telephones.

Comment

Lol... some people are normal on fb and some are me. I waste so much time on there! I canceled my account t for a month and was so relieved, but my friends and family hounded me until I re-joined. I suppose I could just practice some restraint with my facebooking, but I am sure I won't.

Comment

I initially joined to follow my 2 kids who had accounts. I've grown to like it. My friends are people I actually know personally or know from other aspects of my Internet life. I've *met* quite a few parents on-line from the Autism community. We are spread out everywhere. I appreciate the contact beyond forums. One of my friends is a soldier who I sent packages and letters to for a few years when he was deployed. We have never met face to face and probably never will. I find that awesome. I also am involved in a dog rescue with a FB account. Great way to stay connected with the dog fosters that email or texting just doesn't do.

I'm 47. It's fun. For 4 years I was stuck at home 40 hours a week while my son received therapy. I am a bit embarrassed to say it was my social life at times. It can suck you in and get quite ridiculous.

If you value your privacy then it isn't for you. I know many people who rarely use their accounts but have them for very specific purposes.

Twitter is stupid. I don't get it. Same with Pinterest. I have both accounts set up because of the dog rescue but I never use them.
                                sigpic
                                Age 48
                                Start date: 7-5-12
                                5'3"
                                121lbs
                                GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                                Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Working...
                                X