Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man fights city to grow vegetables in yard...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man fights city to grow vegetables in yard...

ORLANDO, Fla. -An Orlando man is fighting city officials to keep his vegetable garden in his front yard.

You have to step over radishes, wax beans and kale to get to Jason Helvingston's front door in College Park.

However, his 25 x 25 foot micro-irrigated vegetable garden is against city code, and the city of Orlando has asked Helvingston to dig it up by Wednesday.

College Park man fights to keep vegetable garden in front yard | News - Home

A lot of years ago there was a small movement in some part of FL to xeriscape - which for some meant growing tall grasses like sea oats. Then it was neighbors that were complaining rather than the city just taking it upon itself. Funny thing is that sea oats are beautiful and lawn grass is stupid and wimpy in comparison.

The city may be making a big deal about it, but really when you own a home, it's a scary proposition when someone is doing something that may make it harder someday to sell your house. I'm guessing someone complained. With a few paragraphs and/or a 2-minute "news report," you can't really get the whole story.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

and so he puts tiny signs scattered in his garden that say HELL NO WE WON'T GO
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

Little hippie protesting garden gnomes.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

There is a magazine called "Urban Farm", and they have stuff like this in there all the time, where city/suburb homeowners decide grass is useless and start growing stuff and then have problems. I have subscribed to it from nearly the very beginning of publication. Cool ideas in there about how to grow at least SOMETHING no matter your living situation or knowledge level.

I hope the guy wins. But then again, I am the nut who thinks most golf courses should be returned to native species, too.
          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

It looks like he has lots of bare earth around rows of staked plants. Yeah, I sympathize, but it looks butt ugly. I can understand why the neighbors/city don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbcakes View Post
              I hope the guy wins. But then again, I am the nut who thinks most golf courses should be returned to native species, too.
              Well I am pretty much with you there on the golf courses if it wasn't for the fact that they make moron hunting so much easier when you know were they will be, and all that artisitc planting of hedges and trees makes for such great cover you rarely miss a shot
              You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

I co-plant flowers, herbs and vegetables. The productive garden doesn't have to be unattractive. I am all for stripping the grass and planting things over. One can look at the past centuries when the herb and kitchen gardens were absolutely gorgeous.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

It's a movement.

Started here.
                  Sandra
                  *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

WTF. How could this be illegal I don't even. A patch of veggies? Really? Why not tell everyone to raise veggies in their garden, and see how much the estate value goes UP instead of telling him to remove it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                      Well I am pretty much with you there on the golf courses if it wasn't for the fact that they make moron hunting so much easier when you know were they will be, and all that artisitc planting of hedges and trees makes for such great cover you rarely miss a shot
                      I will never look at golf the same way again... ! (still chuckling)
                      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

You know the world is seriously F'd up, when it is illegal to grow food on your own land.

Comment

I agree that garden design is part of the equation here. If he'd gone with a cottage garden style, or formal garden styles, he'd probably not have any issues and it woudl be considered creative landscaping.

Comment

COLLEGE PARK, Fla. - A College Park man’s garden will continue to grow in his front yard after the city of Orlando was inundated with emails following a Local 6 story that generated national headlines.

http://libertycrier.com/front-page/city-of-orlando-allows-man-to-keep-front-yard-vegetable-garden/

Comment

yaaaaaay *waves pom poms*
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

Working...
                              X