Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else reaped the benefits of no showering as part of paleo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I just decided to start being more conservative with my bath products yesterday. Now I'm just using a coconut oil scentless organic soap for the 'pits and bits' and hair ever 3 or 4 days. However, I do like to get under some water every day if I can. This is a trial run for me, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by KV8R View Post
      Um, those looks you're getting may not be positive.
      That's what I was thinking!

      In our society we're not generally used to smelling bad BO, and while some people never smell terrible, my husband, for example has almost made me nauseous if he's had a day of hard work and hasn't washed afterwards. I've literally woken in the night thinking "OMG what is that SMELL???" Only to realise it's stale BO (and not a week's worth either... just a day's!)

      That being said, I don't think we need to use soap and stuff all over all the time. I don't always feel the need to wash with soap, and I also don't use scented deodorants or perfumes or anything like that, and I like to think I don't smell BAD... I just smell like a human should.

      I also do crossfit most days (and sweat) and I do roller derby training a couple of times a week (and sweat) so I can't imagine going without a shower! Definitely before work!!

      I don't think it really mattered what our distant ancestors did... back then, I guess there were times when nobody washed, so everyone was used to the smell... which is very different from today, when people generally wash frequently, and you really notice it if one person stinks!

      Also I have to add, I'm not obsessive about making my kids bath/shower daily, and I don't get wafts of bad smell off them... I think when one gets to puberty it's a little tougher, though. My daughter likes to wash pretty regularly, but my boys have to be told! I don't promote the use of soaps and other cleansers with them, and would rather they start using mineral deodorant than that godawful stinky spray stuff (my husband uses it and I almost choke when I go near him... I HATE chemical smells!!)
      Last edited by Iron Fireling; 11-03-2012, 09:15 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        A while back I read a piece by a physician that proposed that we would be much healthier is we bathed less often. Daily (or more than daily) showering strips away the normal, healthy bacteria from out skin that help form a protective barrier. I believe that this is probably true. I generally shower and wash my hair every other day. If I have been to the gym or done sweaty or dirty work ( I do a lot of that), it has to be more often (which kind of dries out my skin, but what ya gonna do?).

        Comment


        • #19
          I bathe daily (not big on showering - Euro here), but I rarely use soap.

          I do have to say that wet wipes = crucial.

          Comment


          • #20
            i reckon civilisation is running hot water. i dont use soap very often at all but i do shower or bath every day. the people i know who dont, sorta smell funky. not stale sweat smell but just different. none of the men particularly excite me either but that is coz they dont anyways, not coz they dont wash enuf. i guess if i come across someone that i can smell in that way, not necessarily offensively, i will involuntarily look as i will notice. but it prob wont be a "look"

            Comment


            • #21
              I have to wonder if you (OP) live in a colder climate. Here in south Texas in Summer, we sweat before the sun comes up, just walking to our cars. I just went for a walk, and it is in the 80s, still humid from the rain yesterday and I sweated enough that i am considering taking a shower right now. In fact, there were kids in the apartment pool. I couldnt help but think that people indigenous to south Texas probably swam several times a day, given the opportunity...year round since we can get 80 degree weather in December and it is humid most of the time.
              It's just another day in paradise
              As you stumble to your bed
              You'd give anything to silence
              Those voices ringing in your head
              You thought you could find happiness
              Just over that green hill
              You thought you would be satisfied
              But you never will-
              Learn to be still
              -The Eagles

              Comment


              • #22
                You gotta shower. You don't necessarily need soap though. All you need is 5-10 minutes in an ice cold shower, and you will do your body wonders.

                Your clothes, on the other hand, need soap.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Showering is very therapeutic. I can get in touch with my body more as opposed to being dry-naked.

                  Cleaning the anus, and armpits is must, as these body parts constantly release toxins, and odors that stick to you.

                  @Crofter - when you were young, your body was tiny, and probably mostly clean. So less bathing back then makes sense. As a human grows older the body gets bigger, and bigger things need more maintenance.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    ...There is actually a Law that is STILL on the books in Kentucky, where I live...and, that is, that you MUST take a bath at least once a year...!!!... just wondering how bad someone would have to smell for others to feel the need to pass a Law on the matter. Pee yewww!!! And, paleeze use the soap.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      ,,,I like a bath or shower every day myself...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Jeannie_5 View Post
                        ...There is actually a Law that is STILL on the books in Kentucky, where I live...and, that is, that you MUST take a bath at least once a year...!!!... just wondering how bad someone would have to smell for others to feel the need to pass a Law on the matter. Pee yewww!!! And, paleeze use the soap.
                        ...Then there is the "Rule of Thumb" Law, (that as I understand it, is also still on the books in Kentucky), that states that a husband may not beat his wife with a stick that is bigger around than his thumb. Believe it or not, this is where the term, or phrase, "rule of thumb" originates. Cave "persons" were not "civilized" as we, or most of us, are now. LOL. I doubt if Grok brushed his teeth, etc., etc. The concept of Primal Living in the MODERN world to me would suggest that there would be many, many, modern ways of living that would be incorporated into the "Primal" lifestyle. Such as personal hygiene. And, many, many other modern ways of doing things that would allow us as Humans to live much, much longer than most "Cave persons". You don't have to stink, OR beat your wife into submission to live "primally" in the modern world. Let's not get carried away here. It's a great diet, and way of life, but, with the MODERN "comforts", and benefits as well. The best of both worlds...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I don't shower every day, mostly because I have dry skin, but I wash the "smelly parts" everyday. I find that showering tends to wash away a lot of negativity along with dirt and I feel so much better afterwards. I see nothing wrong with showering as often as one wants.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Jeannie_5 View Post
                            ...Then there is the "Rule of Thumb" Law, (that as I understand it, is also still on the books in Kentucky), that states that a husband may not beat his wife with a stick that is bigger around than his thumb. Believe it or not, this is where the term, or phrase, "rule of thumb" originates. Cave "persons" were not "civilized" as we, or most of us, are now. LOL. I doubt if Grok brushed his teeth, etc., etc. The concept of Primal Living in the MODERN world to me would suggest that there would be many, many, modern ways of living that would be incorporated into the "Primal" lifestyle. Such as personal hygiene. And, many, many other modern ways of doing things that would allow us as Humans to live much, much longer than most "Cave persons". You don't have to stink, OR beat your wife into submission to live "primally" in the modern world. Let's not get carried away here. It's a great diet, and way of life, but, with the MODERN "comforts", and benefits as well. The best of both worlds...
                            I seriously doubt Grok DIDN'T clean his teeth on a fairly regular basis. The fossil dental record from the Upper Paleolithic shows that early modern humans had great teeth - mostly due to diet, but I'm sure hygiene was a factor as well, to get the gunk out and to keep the breath from being offensive. Especially in colder seasons or climates when groups of people spent lots of time in close, confined quarters with one another - I'm sure there was a conscious effort to stay as stank-free as possible, just as a common courtesy.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              My wife only showers about once a week. It's pretty hard to tell really.
                              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                              Griff's cholesterol primer
                              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                              bloodorchid is always right

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Kata View Post
                                I seriously doubt Grok DIDN'T clean his teeth on a fairly regular basis. The fossil dental record from the Upper Paleolithic shows that early modern humans had great teeth - mostly due to diet, but I'm sure hygiene was a factor as well, to get the gunk out and to keep the breath from being offensive. Especially in colder seasons or climates when groups of people spent lots of time in close, confined quarters with one another - I'm sure there was a conscious effort to stay as stank-free as possible, just as a common courtesy.
                                ...I'm pretty sure you have missed my point entirely sweetie. But, that's ooookaaay. The point is that we can be clean, and modernly primal at the same time. It's also okay to use toothpaste. Cave person's didn't have the life expectancy that we do now...how old were these person's at death whose teeth were examined??? I'm sure you know. It's also just fine to see a dentist on occasion. I'm sure the Neanderthals were extremely "courteous" as well...BELCH...FART...stink...lol. That's hilarious!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X