No announcement yet.

Do you have an elevator speech?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spend a lot of time in doctor's offices, and since I started Primal I get a lot of questions at work about the weight I've lost, so I have honed it down tight:

"I don't eat grains, legumes, sugar, or dairy, and I don't drink alcohol. I eat a lot of fat, a little bit of vegetables, and fruit only occasionally. I cycle half an hour four or five nights a week while I watch TV."

I do eat SOME sugar, usually in the form of dark chocolate, and I do use butter and occasionally cheese, but they're not looking for a list of my occasional indulgences, so I don't give them one unless they ask for it.

I definitely don't tell them that I'm now kind of grossed out by meat/eggs/dairy that isn't grass-fed and/or otherwise from humanely raised animals, because I've found that's when people start looking at you funny. Which I find kind of laughable in a society that's willing to re-route internal organs to lose weight, but what can you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      "I eat mostly animal protein and vegetables with a little fruit and nuts." <ding> (Second floor)
      Then they say over their shoulder as they are walking away..."Oh, so basically AAAAATKINS".

My one liner is: "I quit eating sugar, flour, and oil and the weight just melted off."

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
        Then they say over their shoulder as they are walking away..."Oh, so basically AAAAATKINS".

My one liner is: "I quit eating sugar, flour, and oil and the weight just melted off."
        I hate it when people do that. But I am just trying to define Primal by what I DO eat as opposed to what I've cut out.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post

Thats a good point otzi......since people seem to (well they think they know Atkins) you could use that. "I eat whole food Atkins with food sourced from local farmers"

Nah, honestly I don't mind saying paleo, primal, or ancestral......I don't care if they know what that is or not. It's the keywords they need to find the info themselves so I use it.
          Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

News flash: "Healthy" CW is also unprocessed, real food, no junk food, etc. So I don't think it works to use those terms.

Since I had very little weight to lose, I can only say that wheat gave me heartburn. No wheat, no Prilosec.
            But I convinced a co-worker to go Primal, he lost 25 pounds, and he uses the anti-grain angle.

What worries me is that the newest diet fashion is "gluten-free" instead of grain free. So now we have people loading up on non-gluten whole wheat, cornmeal, rice, designer non-gluten grains, and sugar. And not dropping weight and getting really frustrated.
            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I get asked that question, a lot! My typical answer is, "You know, I eat as low to the ground as possible."

Most get it while others look at me as though I had just beamed in from another dimension...

In fact, after my last colonoscopy both the nurse and doc asked, "What the heck do you eat?" The doc was curious because he told me my colon looked as though it had been cleaned with steel wool... too funny.

Comment

"I eat natural foods, like meat and vegetables. And I get most of my calories from healthy fats, like from animals, fish, olive/coconut oil, butter, nuts, that sort of stuff."

And if I'm asked why I don't want a piece of cake or a can of pop I say: "I don't feel well when I eat too much sugar."
                Last edited by Bosnic; 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I've been thinking about this...
                  I think I might start saying something like, " I eat whatever doesn't give me explosive diarrhea."
                  It's a lie, but it could be useful in other situations too. Like when you go to the inlaws, or your coworkers want to serve you, or your parents are visiting...
                  Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                  SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                  2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    I hate it when people do that. But I am just trying to define Primal by what I DO eat as opposed to what I've cut out.
                    Same. If I'm talking to someone about what I eat I bring up the things that I like to eat. It's a lot more social friendly than rattling off a long list of things that leaves you looking like a primmadona.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
                      Same. If I'm talking to someone about what I eat I bring up the things that I like to eat. It's a lot more social friendly than rattling off a long list of things that leaves you looking like a primmadona.
                      Exactly and it also makes Primal not sound like some weird self imposed torture , "I CAN'T eat this and I WON'T eat that." I like to take all about the great things in the Primal diet such as steak and eggs.

Comment

Working...
                      X