Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the Hell is With People and Conveniece Foods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the lack of knowledge is the main thing.

When I lived in america, I was mildly astonished at my friends makign a big deal out of making strawberry mousse (basically, a strawberry instant pudding, with mashed strawberries and whipped cream folded through). Until I saw them get really excited to bake a cake, by.... taking cake mix, adding water, and putting it in the oven.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

If you don't cook, you don't eat. Imagine a world where responsibility actually applied.

Comment

I can't remember the actual numbers, but studies show that time spent preparing meals directly correlates with obesity rates. Average household spends less than 30 minutes a day preparing meals vs an hour in the 1950s. The hey-day of Julia Child. Not cooking is a reliable predictor of obesity. Freedom from the kitchen comes as a mixed blessing.

With all the Food Network shows, I hope that trend is changing. I easily spend an hour or more making dinner on most days. I grew up with a stay at home mom who is a wonderful cook. Her plates were always intentionally colorful and strictly homemade. Every Sunday we went out to eat, however. It was her day off. Nobody liked my dad's cooking (claim to fame was 'pee in a cup': bologna fried turns cup-like and he put peas in it. Doctor humor). I am blessed to have the time to make meals for my family, and more blessed that I enjoy it!

Who cooks with a microwave?
        sigpic
        Age 48
        Start date: 7-5-12
        5'3"
        121lbs
        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

not knowing how to cook, not knowing any better, not having much time to spend preparing meals, not having the patience it takes to cook a meal from scratch and, last but not least, not liking to cook

myself, i cook now out of necessity, but i don't have the patience and i rarely enjoy the time consuming process of peeling and chopping and julienning and waiting and waiting and waiting

maybe i'd do better if i cooked several days' worth at once, but i'm just not that kind of patient

what can i say, i'm 'special'

The I Hate to Cook Book: 50th Anniversary Edition: Peg Bracken, Jo Bracken: Amazon.com: Books
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

My husband and I both cook. We do keep instapizzas on hand for those days we're too beat to think and there aren't any leftovers, but those are few and far between.
            I grew up in a house where there was Chef Boyardee and ramen, but there was also homemade spag sauce and pad thai. We kids cut our cooking teeth on eggs, chef boyardee, and ramen. We were also roped into helping with dinner as soon as we could reach the counter by standing on a chair (peeling garlic, taking the compost out, peeling veggies) and progressed up the cooking scale that way. 2 of the 3 of us can cook and like to cook. (The third, I don't know. We haven't spoken in well over a decade.) My sister flipped when she discovered a friend didn't know how to boil water in a pan, and proceeded to teach all her friends basic cooking skills. I refused to date a guy unless he could cook a meal and would let me into his kitchen.
            We were latchkey kids, but we'd also had it beaten into us not to eat until dinner, so the idea of an after school snack was laughable to us. If it looked like Mom and Dad were gonna be late, we put pasta on to boil for dinner. We knew how to pick veggies and meat.
            I knew kids who were the exact opposite: could only cook in a microwave, never had a home cooked dinner (they sneered when I took leftover spag for lunch), and could n't tell you the business end of a peeler (I wish I was exaggerating.) They had stay at home parents and a spotless home with take and bake meals.
            We were latchkey kids after I was old enough to babysit, the house was a disaster, but 90% of the time, dinner was homemade, usually from scratch.
            I've never understood the uberconvenience meals. Shit like the plastic wrapped nuketato, the prechopped veggies, the lunchable? I never got it, never understood it. It can't be that hard, and it doesn't take that much time to prep it.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
              Who cooks with a microwave?
              I do. I cook potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams in them. I can't imagine wasting my time to bake them in the oven. I also make a little chocolate mug cake in the microwave as a treat: one banana, one egg, one heaping spoon of almond or coconut butter and one heaping spoon of cocoa powder. Best thing ever! I also like to reheat leftovers right on my plate so I don't have to wash a lot of pots and pans.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I know that people are busy these days, but many are busy with bullshit that isn't nearly as important as taking the time to prepare a healthy meal so their families can eat right.
                Sometimes priorities need to be set.

Comment

I also think it's a matter of not knowing how to cook. I am constantly heariing people "brag" about how they don't cook, but in reality, I think it's kind of like joking about being clumsy. It's not that you're really proud of it, but you know your failings and that's just how you are.

I remember my mom cooking pretty much every meal. We went to Arby's, Taco Bell or Pioneer Chicken maybe once a week, but it was definitely a treat. But she never really taught me anything. Maybe she figured I wasn't the "cooking type". By the time I moved out (age 24) I knew how to make chicken crepes and that's it. When I got married about 6 months later, we had my inlaws over for dinner and I somehow made a lamb stew. But I also attempted homemade biscuits, didn't have a biscuit cutter and didn't know you could just use a glass. All of the biscuits were in the shape of animals (cats, sheep, cows) because that's what I had on hand for cookie cutters.

Regular cooking is becoming a lost art. It seem people either know how to cook artsy designer food or nothing at all.
                  Durp.

Comment

ut I also attempted homemade biscuits, didn't have a biscuit cutter and didn't know you could just use a glass. All of the biscuits were in the shape of animals (cats, sheep, cows) because that's what I had on hand for cookie cutters.
                    i love that
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

I think the pre-chopped veggies (not the ones with the sauce) are one of the few that I think are a good idea. For some people, pre-chopped veg will make the difference between that or frozen french fries. The same goes for the trays of cut fruit or packages of meat sliced up for stirfry. If someone starts there and begins cooking with real food, that's a start.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

My mom tried to teach me how to cook, but didn't have much patience, and only taught me things like mac&cheese. She even tried to teach me the homemade kind, but for some reason thought I would just remember the recipe, and never actually showed me how to follow a recipe- which I can do pretty successfully now.

That's due to my wife, actually, who at about age 5 was responsible for taking lunch to the boys working out in the fields. Usually it was sandwiches and lemonade, but she would also cook breakfasts and dinners pretty regularly as well. I started helping her out, then when I was unemployed I started getting a bit more creative on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          I do. I cook potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams in them. I can't imagine wasting my time to bake them in the oven. I also make a little chocolate mug cake in the microwave as a treat: one banana, one egg, one heaping spoon of almond or coconut butter and one heaping spoon of cocoa powder. Best thing ever! I also like to reheat leftovers right on my plate so I don't have to wash a lot of pots and pans.
                          Know what I am making tonight! mmm choc in a mug
                          link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                            I think the pre-chopped veggies (not the ones with the sauce) are one of the few that I think are a good idea. For some people, pre-chopped veg will make the difference between that or frozen french fries. The same goes for the trays of cut fruit or packages of meat sliced up for stirfry. If someone starts there and begins cooking with real food, that's a start.
                            Thats it for me lately! Life has been crazy busy and if I can open my freezer, yank out a bag of cut up broccoli (that isn't half rotting from being left in the fridge too long!) and throw that in a pan with a handful of cheese (yes I do buy it in a block and grate it myself. I think pre-shredded cheese coated in crap is gross) or a chunk of meat (also yanked out of the freezer and force thawed in a sink of hot water!) then thats a win.

Other wise I might end up stopping at the store on the way home and deciding that a pint of ice cream and a frozen pizza count as dinner...

Comment

i grew up with a DAD that cooked---a lot! We loved my dad's homemade meals, not my mom's so much. We still visited McDonalds and had some frozen meals, but compared to a lot of people, we ate a majority of our meals as homemade from scratch! I credit my dad and my late grandmother with my love for being in the kitchen!

I have to admit though that once I was in college and off the meal plan, I called home regularly to figure out HOW my dad made some of his meals. They thought it was kind of funny because I didnt help much back then, but now I needed to know on my own! I really hope that my daily homemade meals and packed lunches will impact my young kids and they will embrace real food as they grow into adults. My two male cousins are excellent cooks, and their mom (my aunt) has always been amazing in the kitchen. Our children NEED us to teach them these life skills!

As for microwaves...we got rid of ours a few years back. I'm actually blogging about that tomorrow if you get a chance to stop by. And a baked potato vs. a microwaved potato is no contest in my book!
                              Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                              http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I remember one time being amazed that my then SIL pulled out a package of frozen french toast for breakfast.

I know she knew how to cook, seriously. French toast? That's a piece of bread, an egg, and a splash of milk. I could cook it from scratch faster than her frozen stuff took to thaw/cook!

I consider tinned tomatoes to be convenience food, now.

Comment

Working...
                                X