Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random: Anything to Do With Avocado Pits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post

i read somewhere that if you sprouted an avocado pit, the plant wouldn't bear fruit. true? yes no?
    No idea, but I have a couple laying around right now, so I'll set one up and let you know. I'll start it indoors since it's getting cooler here at night now.

Comment

The toothpick thing is hit or miss. It's easier and more effective to just sprout it like a bean, wrapped in a damp paper towel and put into a plastic bag for a few days. They make nice houseplants.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        The toothpick thing is hit or miss. It's easier and more effective to just sprout it like a bean, wrapped in a damp paper towel and put into a plastic bag for a few days. They make nice houseplants.
        Oh that's excellent - I didn't know that. I'll have to try that soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
          i read somewhere that if you sprouted an avocado pit, the plant wouldn't bear fruit. true? yes no?
          I believe they require both male and female plants is all. Some plants have both parts on the same plant, some have two separate plants. I think Avos are separate.

Comment

Originally posted by amazonmagic View Post
            Actually to make a pit grow, fill a glass with water, stick tooth picks on each end place on top of the jar just above water, sit in sun light and it will sprout give it a little time
            About 20 years ago, hubby started doing this. We had about a dozen tall, scrawny avocado plants around our apartment before I told him to stop! And no, they didn't flower or fruit.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

I remember reading it takes something like 7 years for an avocado plant to be mature enough to fruit. And they don't tolerate cold weather well.
              carl's cave

Comment

They make good compost~

Comment

Working...
                X