Sudden deodorant reaction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden deodorant reaction

A few days ago my armpits were burning, so I took a look. Sure enough, the area I normally apply deodorant to was red and skin was physically rolling up and peeling off. So I jumped into the shower and rinsed myself clean. That was the last product I'd been using. I'm not surprised, I knew it was iffy stuff (Arm and hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant, contains Dipropylene Glycol, propylene glycol, TRICLOSAN?!, and a few others I have never seen before.) I'm now soap, shampoo, and deodorant free. Aside from the trace of gel that might come in a new razorblade, traces of hippy laundry soap, and hand sanitizer at work, nothing much else gets on my skin anymore. But my pits STILL STINK! Does coconut oil really work? What about that goofy rock thing? I work point blank with hospital patients and am REQUIRED to not stink. Help quick!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

I've heard the stone thing works really well for some, but not others. A recipe I've seen for deodorant - 1 part coconut oil, 1 part corn starch and one part lavendar oil. Lavendar oil is really strong, so I bet that would kill any offensive smell. Also, I bet you could try other essential oils for a different (more manly) scent. Good luck!

Comment

i don't know about coconut oil, but i have used the deodorizing crystal before. it's decent for removing odor, but it won't keep you from stinking...that has more to do with sweat, bacteria and toxins. i notice that i get stinky when i sweat...sometimes. sometimes i'll be on a run or doing a full on metcon workout and i don't smell a thing, and sometimes i can clear a room. i can also be at work, sitting at my desk, sweat just a teeny bit and reek like a garbage can in hell. i've been trying to lock down some sort of pattern of cause, but i can't. one thing i have noticed, is just getting a little air in there helps the smell go away temporarily. so, maybe between patients you should just walk down the halls with your arms up like you just won a race.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Magnesium chloride salts dissolved in hot water (about 50/50 for a strong solution) and put in a spray bottle works for me & hubby. also good for magnesium supplementing
        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

i don't know about coconut oil, but i have used the deodorizing crystal before. it's decent for removing odor, but it won't keep you from stinking...that has more to do with sweat, bacteria and toxins. i notice that i get stinky when i sweat...sometimes. sometimes i'll be on a run or doing a full on metcon workout and i don't smell a thing, and sometimes i can clear a room. i can also be at work, sitting at my desk, sweat just a teeny bit and reek like a garbage can in hell. i've been trying to lock down some sort of pattern of cause, but i can't. one thing i have noticed, is just getting a little air in there helps the smell go away temporarily. so, maybe between patients you should just walk down the halls with your arms up like you just won a race.
          Same here. Sometimes I don't stink at all even though I should. Maybe I'll log my food until I figure out if it's related. The air trick works a little, but really only delays the inevitable onset of my transformation from respectable employee to catfish bait.

I've heard the stone thing works really well for some, but not others. A recipe I've seen for deodorant - 1 part coconut oil, 1 part corn starch and one part lavendar oil. Lavendar oil is really strong, so I bet that would kill any offensive smell. Also, I bet you could try other essential oils for a different (more manly) scent. Good luck!
          I guess I can try it. I'm seeing beeswax in some recipes, which I read will stain my clothes. So maybe just the coconut oil and a weak scented oil if anything. The cornstarch is probably just to make it more sturdy, help keep it from running away, I suspect?

Magnesium chloride salts dissolved in hot water (about 50/50 for a strong solution) and put in a spray bottle works for me & hubby. also good for magnesium supplementing
          Does this work by raising the pH and making it an inhospitable place for bacteria?
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Coconut oil and baking soda.

But I use a deodorizing stone. It doesn't last the full 24 hours as advertised, only about 12, but that's all I really need it for. I apply it right after showering and it works well enough for me. It does sting after shaving though, if you've nicked yourself at all.
            Depression Lies

Comment

But I use a deodorizing stone. It doesn't last the full 24 hours as advertised, only about 12, but that's all I really need it for. I apply it right after showering and it works well enough for me. It does sting after shaving though, if you've nicked yourself at all.
              If baking soda gives me dandruff, which it does, I'd expect it to bother my pits, too. But I won't know unless I try.

Okay, for today I'm going to glop on a small amount of coconut oil and go chop some wood to see if it holds up.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post

This.

Comment

I use a deodorant crystal broken up into small pieces in water. Works pretty well, but I don't have a particularly strong odor, although that may be due to never having been a big user of deodorant. I have a hunch that armpit flora can get out of whack like gut flora, so heavy deo use can make you need more. That's my theory, anyhow.
                  Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Use food grade hydrogen peroxide on a water moistened cotton ball - this will get rid of the bacteria. It won't stop the perspiration though...for that, wet your finger and then dip into a small container of baking soda and then apply that to your underarms.

Comment

rock crystal
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

I use the crystal stone thingy too, and it works pretty well, but I've noticed carbs have an affect on my smell. When I go very low carb and into deep ketosis, I smell awful, even if I'm not doing anything. I could just sit in my office, and if I get hot, I stink. However, when I add carbs back in, enough to come slightly out of ketosis, it takes quite a bit more work to start stinking again.

Comment

Just use straight dry baking soda on freshly showered pits. My hubby has been a convert to this and he used to stink and sweat up a storm---but no more!
                          Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                          http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I use that goofy rock thing, and it works, but I'm not a particularly stinky person (but then again, nobody ever thinks they smell bad). I go to the gym and do my cardio with just the rock thing and even dripping with sweat, people still stand next to me to chat, so I assume it works. It does sting when I apply it to freshly shaven pits, though.
                            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I've mentioned Milk of Magnesium before, and I don't think people believe me. Really, I live in Florida, I ain't jokin'

This guy does it too! Milk of Magnesia: My New Natural Deodorant

My husband has found that regular deodorant makes his underarms break out in a rash and he gets hard lumps deep beneath the skin. So, while deodorant companies may say that their products don't enter the body to do bad things, I don't believe them.

Way I see it, there are a few good options. Baking soda. Magnesium. Cornstarch. Coconut Oil. Rock.

Which you want to apply and how is up to you. My husband refuses to believe "homemade" things, so I use Milk of Magnesium in a spray bottle, and he uses an expensive rock-crystal-in-a-spray-bottle-with-a-scent-of-the-Alps that I bought at Whole Foods.

Find what works for you best.

Comment

Working...
                              X