Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son wants to know why Poo is always brown..... Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son wants to know why Poo is always brown..... Help!

So my son, man does he come up with questions or what? I have no idea why Poo is brown no matter what we eat, can anyone explain it without resorting to potty humor? He has been watching what he eats then watches his poo to see if it changes.

kids.....
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

It's just like when you mix paints of all different colors and end up with brown. Mix foods of all different colors and they end up brown...

Have him eat a lot of watermelon some time and see if it changes! I think beets will also make changes.

He sounds like my kind of kid! My son, after watching cows mate, wanted to know how snakes do it.

Comment

Eating lots of Berries changes it also. As I understand the color mostly comes from bile salts and broken down blood cells.

Comment

tell him that all the good vitamins in food are in the colors, and whatever is left over all gets mixed together and called poop.

it would be a fun experiment and a great way to get him to eat a variety of foods to see what might change the colors, like beets or brocolli, or spinach, etc.
        in fact, i know a guy from college who did something similar for an art project. talk about avant garde.
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

mine go greenish when I drink green smoothies regularly however I think that means I am not absorbing a lot of the nutrients they are going through me.

Comment

Sorry to pop your poo bubbles, but it's used and discarded red blood cells:

Why is poo brown? › Dr Karl's Great Moments In Science (ABC Science)
            “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
              Sorry to pop your poo bubbles, but it's used and discarded red blood cells:

Why is poo brown? › Dr Karl's Great Moments In Science (ABC Science)
              And a fair amount of bilirubin...
              Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
              Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
              Current weight: 210.8 lbs
              Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
              ChooseMyPlate

Comment

The majority of the bulk of your poop is dead bacteria (I think) from your intestinal tract. They happen to be brown. Also as mentioned above, bile, stomach acids, etc play a part. And I would argue that all poop is not brown! Poop can be green or yellow too. And if you eat red beets it can be bright red and scare you into thinking your butt is bleeding!

Comment

Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
                  ... And if you eat red beets it can be bright red and scare you into thinking your butt is bleeding!
                  Laughing at the beet thing. The first time I ate cooked beets in any quantity, not only did my poo turn red, but I peed pink. It had never happened with canned beets (Mom used to make them) and it had never happened when I just put a few pieces of steamed beets into a yogurt smoothie. Scared the heck out of me until I realized... oh yeah... beets.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Freshly juiced beets make my urine magenta!
                    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
                      So my son, man does he come up with questions or what? I have no idea why Poo is brown no matter what we eat, can anyone explain it without resorting to potty humor? He has been watching what he eats then watches his poo to see if it changes.

kids.....
                      ...Why would Pooh be any other color anyway...Aren't most bears brown??? Lol.

Comment

Winnie the pooh is yellow.

Comment

I have Eeyore pajamas.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

In a previous lifetime - I went on an 8 hour road trip and ate a LOT of Red Vines.

Basically same result as beets.

So give your kid a bunch of cooked beets or some good Russian Borscht. In my not so long lifetime I've seen more colors than I thought possible.

Other than beets - it usually seems to be VERY non-primal stuff that causes the weirdest changes.
                            ~It's All Relative!~
                            34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
                            Fitness Blog - Instagram
                            Join me on Fitocracy

Comment

Originally posted by workinprogress View Post
                              Winnie the pooh is yellow.
                              ...Well, kinda brownish yellow...like baby poo. I stand corrected. How enlightening! Thanks!!!! Hey...why is Poo yellow???

Comment

Working...
                              X