Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegetarian propaganda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vegetarian propaganda

    My kids are watching a movie on netflix called "animals united" There is a lion character who is vegetarian "so that all of the animals on the savannah can live peacefully together". Looks like I've got some deprogramming to do over our breakfast of back bacon and eggs.
    --mommymd

    LCHF since Oct 2011

  • #2
    Those lions and gazelles are best friends.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

    "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

    Comment


    • #3
      Lions thrive on a vegetarian diet.

      Comment


      • #4
        "Fish are friends, not food"

        Comment


        • #5
          Vegetarian lion?
          Ha, ha, ha.
          Maybe it was Orwellian lion?

          Comment


          • #6
            time to turn on the good old natgeo so kids can see how well lions get along with others in the wild
            beautiful
            yeah you are

            Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
            lol

            Comment


            • #7
              Ask them if they would rather eat grass or bacon. Deprogramming done.
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

              Comment


              • #8
                The timing on reading this is uncanny, as I just finished reading the newest article from Steve Pavlina ( 10 Reasons You Should Vote For Me For President ). In particular, this section here.

                Another step I’ll take is to do what I can to end the ridiculously wasteful subsidies to the animal products industry. This means the price of flesh, milk, cheese, and similar items will rise to a market-driven level. These prices will have to reflect the true costs of water, electricity, transportation, and waste management. This will in turn make healthier and more environmentally sound choices relatively less expensive. Instead of feeding plants to animals and then eating the animals, people can eat more of the plants directly. This would massively improve the health of our nation and dramatically reduce our healthcare costs (and by healthcare, we all know we’re really talking about sick care).
                In the end, everyone trying to sell something has a bit of a bias. I enjoy his blog, but I suppose some of them are just better off being avoided.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thing is, what folks don't realize is that thre are a lot of us who have been "polyfaced" long before now. DH and I started buying local, pasture raised back in 2000/2001. This means that we were paying WAY MORE for the local, pastured stuff because, guess what? those farms aren't subsidized.

                  We were happy to pay for a superior product that came from a superior process for the environment. And, support local farmers. We still do that now (though "local" is extended out a bit to "NZ" with a second choice of "Australia"). I would say 80% comes from local-local (within about 100 mi of where we live), and then the remaining 20% comes from wider NZ, Australia, or other. We do our best.

                  Anyway, we do pay a lot for food and we have for the past decade. It costs us more to feed ourselves than to shelter ourselves. So, there you go.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Euphoric View Post
                    The timing on reading this is uncanny, as I just finished reading the newest article from Steve Pavlina ( 10 Reasons You Should Vote For Me For President ). In particular, this section here.
                    ...In the end, everyone trying to sell something has a bit of a bias. I enjoy his blog, but I suppose some of them are just better off being avoided.
                    I like a lot that Steve Pavlina has to say, except for his promotion of veganism (to each his own, *I* say - if veganism works for you, so be it, I can even almost get on board with raw foodies, but I personally need more protein than that.)... I can't say I necessarily disagree with the quote (I'll go read the whole post later), but good luck with that... whomever is elected President has a LOT on their plate before the food industry even registers.

                    Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                    Thing is, what folks don't realize is that thre are a lot of us who have been "polyfaced" long before now. DH and I started buying local, pasture raised back in 2000/2001. This means that we were paying WAY MORE for the local, pastured stuff because, guess what? those farms aren't subsidized.

                    We were happy to pay for a superior product that came from a superior process for the environment. And, support local farmers. We still do that now (though "local" is extended out a bit to "NZ" with a second choice of "Australia"). I would say 80% comes from local-local (within about 100 mi of where we live), and then the remaining 20% comes from wider NZ, Australia, or other. We do our best.

                    Anyway, we do pay a lot for food and we have for the past decade. It costs us more to feed ourselves than to shelter ourselves. So, there you go.
                    This. I'm happy to pay the premium for non-subsidized small farms that feed their livestock species-appropriate diets.

                    And on the original subject... I'm now pondering if a lion could survive on a vegetarian diet... undoubtedly it wouldn't THRIVE, but... it's different than humans surviving on rice - we're omnivores, felines are carnivores! *sigh*

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Last edited by DinoHunter; 10-21-2012, 02:56 AM.
                      Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

                      http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you had a horse and it ran away you could probably find it eventually grazing in some field. But if you ran away into the wilderness, they'd eventually find your body because you would starve. The only thing you could do to stay alive is learn to hunt.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mommymd View Post
                          My kids are watching a movie on netflix called "animals united" There is a lion character who is vegetarian "so that all of the animals on the savannah can live peacefully together". Looks like I've got some deprogramming to do over our breakfast of back bacon and eggs.
                          Perhaps you missed that he only became a vegetarian after his brother was shot and killed and before that he readily ate antelope. And how else are you going to have a movie where a lion and meerkat are best friends unless the lion is a vegetarian. lol. It wasn't a movie about vegetarianism, just another all humans are evil and destroying the planet type movie. A different type of propaganda all together.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            But... I like vegetarians... Especially with hot sauce.
                            "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
                              Thanks for the video! I like how the vegetarians were (accurately) drawn as being "skinny fat". That is indeed how virtually every vegetarian (over the age of 25) I've ever seen looks.

                              For both the OP and continuing on the notion of vegetarians as bloated and, at best, just skinny fat (i.e., no muscle tone and oodles of flesh hanging over their skivvies and bra straps), here is a good article about a reformed vegetarian: Damn your low fat diet: How a reformed vegan John Nicholson gorges on all the foods his granny enjoyed... and has never felt better | Mail Online

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X