School bans Halloween

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School bans Halloween

Halloween costumes have been banned at an elementary school and the debate continues between parents and the administration. (Photo by John Moore/Getty Images)

SEATTLE (CBS SEATTLE) A Seattle school has banned students from celebrating a new holiday this year: Halloween.

Seattle Elementary School Bans Halloween Costumes CBS Seattle

In other news, Minnesota bans access to free online education.

Minnesota Bans Free Online College Courses from Coursera. I Give Up. - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Comment

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the latter article myself. Banning free education? Why on earth...
      F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

There's an update on that link: Minnesota backed down.

Comment

Banning Halloween is so 90s.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

our elementary school does not do Halloween dress up for kids.
            Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
            http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

My school district also does not allow the students to dress up. The science teacher gets to dress up like a mad scientist, though. So unfair.
              It's just another day in paradise
              As you stumble to your bed
              You'd give anything to silence
              Those voices ringing in your head
              You thought you could find happiness
              Just over that green hill
              You thought you would be satisfied
              But you never will-
              Learn to be still
              -The Eagles

Comment

Our son's school allows dress up every day of the year. First, the kids of all ages have open access to the school's costumes as well as having open access to the place where they learn to make costumes and clothing, as well as all of the play silks where they can simply create infinite creative costumes (this is for DS's age group).

If a child wants to wear a costume every day, s/he can. It's considered expressive and important to who they are. Sometimes, though, costumes might inhibit play -- particularly since the school sends children outside rain or shine for at least 2 hrs a day (in different ways, too, such as recess, of course, but then they also have outdoor learning time with gardening and similar), so they have rain gear and a change of clothes with them every day. So, it could mean that the costume gets very wet/dirty. But, hey, it's allowed.

Crazy hippy schools.

Comment

The Christian schools in my area haven't allowed any sort of Halloween celebration for as long as I can remember. Other schools have moved away from it as well, but I think it was the nightmare of policing appropriate vs inappropriate costumes that did it in.
                  50yo, 5'3"
                  SW-195
                  CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                  GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                    Crazy hippy schools.
                    More like crazy happy schools. I love the idea that the kids just get to be who the want to be - everyday. And two hours outdoors everyday is way cool. We should do that here seeing as we're not teaching the kids a freakin' thing indoors anyway. At least they'd end up with healthy bodies. Our public schools have been sad sad places for decades.
                    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Yes. I'm happy with the school and DS loves going. I love "bush day" which he'll get at the next school. It's quite literally in the reserve next to the school. Just drop them off (there's a teacher at the drop-off point), and that's it from 8:30 to 2:30. Kids, outside, in every weather unless there's a severe storm. The other 4 days are indoor/outdoor at the kindy.

the only rule with clothing is no pictures/words/brands on it. they don't want it to inhibit the children's play.

Comment

Working...
                      X