Super Serious Question Here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Serious Question Here!

I've been sans cheat meal for an entire year. I'm going to the Netherlands for three weeks and I was wondering what y'all think. Cheat or no cheat?
    http://meatsleeprepeat.com/
    http://ternioncrossfit.com/

Go and have fun. Do whatever you feel like.

Comment

Friets met pinda saus

Indonesian rijstafel

Ollieballen

Eat them all!

Comment

I moved to the Netherlands at the end of August, and I haven't indulged in any of the bready goodness. I'll add poffertjes (little fried pancakes w/ powdered sugar and butter) and bitterballen (deep-fried mash-up of anything) to Otzi's list of the typical stuff.

The cheese is awesome, obviously. And the beer. I forget that cheese+beer aren't optimal foods... : )

The thing I really like to get, and that is at least a gluten-free splurge, is called "kapsalon" (literally "hairdresser" in Dutch) at Turkish snack places. It's french fries, broiled gouda, shawarma meat, aioli, sambal, and salad toppings. I've had it twice, it's yumazing.

But I'm here awhile so I'm keeping control of myself. Do whatever it is that you won't regret, cheating or not!

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
          Friets met pinda saus

Indonesian rijstafel

Ollieballen

Eat them all!
          I thought the rule was that if you couldn't pronounce it, you shouldn't eat it. What are these?

Comment

How is this even a question, when stroopwafels exist?

Comment

STROOPWAFELS!!!!! I die.

A vacation should be enjoyed. Go nuts (in moderation) and have a good time. Don't overanalyze your food meanwhile.
              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Yeah, vacations, State Fairs and holidays are open season. I have been staying very primal/paleo the last two thanksgivings. I am going to give it a break this year. That doesn't mean I will purposely seek out crazy junkfood, but I might indulge in some primal and non-primal treats.

jt

Comment

All dutch treats are pretty gross
                  well then

Comment

When I go on vacation (which is sadly NEVER) I eat everything in sight, food is as important to me as taking pictures of buildings or whatever the hell. More even.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      When I go on vacation (which is sadly NEVER) I eat everything in sight, food is as important to me as taking pictures of buildings or whatever the hell. More even.
                      Yeah eating stuff you can't get at home is what vacations are all about.

Warm Stroopwafels and aged Gouda that's what I think of when I think of Netherlands!
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Well after being clean for a year, you will be lucky if you can tolerate it. I was clean for 3 months but recently had a birthday. I just had a taste of 3 desserts and paid for it that night and for 2 days after. Not fun.
                        Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                        Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                        Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
                          Well after being clean for a year, you will be lucky if you can tolerate it. I was clean for 3 months but recently had a birthday. I just had a taste of 3 desserts and paid for it that night and for 2 days after. Not fun.
                          I'm fearing this will happen to me too!

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                            +1 except I do go on vacations quite often and a year without cheating would not be possible.

Only you can answer that question for yourself. For me personally new food experiences are a must in a new place, more important than picture taking
                            I do splurge on holidays, trying to make sure the stuff is worth splurging on. I am not sure all of the mentioned Dutch delicacies are
                            I actually buy things and throw them out (or feed to the fellow traveller) if I don't think the enjoyment is worth the discomfort afterwards. I don't really get sick during holidays because of eating more rubbish however excess sugar means that at some point I will turn into a mental person. I was in Thailand in March and spend one day in bed in "depressed, don't want to move" sort of mood - what a waste!
                            Enjoy Netherlands - it's a fun place! I try to go there quite often (but not often enough!)

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
                              I was going to say... go for it if you can tolerate it - you might want to test it out at home before you leave - if you do have an adverse reaction, better to have it at home than in a strange land.

Comment

Working...
                              X