Do You Use Stevia or Not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Use Stevia or Not?

Just wondering how many people use Stevia/not use Stevia and if it hinders fat loss for them? Experience off and on Stevia?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I liked it, and had no problems with it. It's still a processed food, regardless of how natural it is, unless you are literally using stevia leaves.

I have since moved to a more strict paleo diet, and I don't use any sweeteners of any kind right now.

Comment

I used the actual stevia leaves that I order from Mt. Rose Herbs. I never noticed that it had any effect on fat loss, either good or bad.

Comment

I am guessing that if one was eating a caloric surplus, much of it added sugars, then replacing the added sugar with stevia might help reduce overall calories and result in fat loss. Just a theory.

Comment

I use it occasionally for deserts that need sweetening. But then again, I rarely eat desert now anyway, so hardly ever.

Mark posted an "Is It Primal?" wherein he gave good marks to stevia and even mentioned a few studies linking the use of stevia to improved insulin sensitivity. Just do a search on the main page for "stevia" to find it.
          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Funny aftertaste so I don't. I usually don't add sugar to things but if I do (usually if having good cafe con leche) I will add "real" white sugar, just enough to get a hint of sweet in there.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I used to and I still use real stevia leaves (Stevia plants like hot weather, btw - they're pretty easy to grow) in the summer on fruit salad or in my coffee grounds or tea bags. But John's right, if it's white powder and it dissolves in liquid it's processed - I don't know how it gets that way, but that's not how "real" leaves act. Stevia drops may be less processed - it's fairly easy to boil stevia leaves and get a super-sweet brew out of them, anyways. I don't know if that's what you buy in the store.

Comment

I have the drops and I really want to make jello with lime juice, and I don't think I can take lime juice straight.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Don't use them to fuel your sweet tooth...
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

No. Since quitting sugar I find I can taste the sweetness in a lot of foods much more. I drink my coffee strong and unsweetened and some veggies, like onions, carrots and cabbage, are almost too sweet.

Comment

No. If we want something sweet we use white sugar. We just don't use it much.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I use KAL liquid stevia, 1 tsp in my green tea every afternoon with juice of 1 org lime, love it.

Comment

I use Nu Naturals liquid stevia. It doesn't cause a rise in blood sugar. The powdered stevias are all mixed with some form of sugar if that's a concern for you...

Comment

I use it minimally - just in my coffee twice a day, occasionally a teaspoon in baking to replace some honey or maple syrup in a sweet treat. Doesn't seem to affect my cravings for sweets or my weight.

Comment

Not anymore. It sends me off looking for sugar, just like Splenda or that other crap does. Just plain old fruit is sweet enough for me these days.
                              “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Working...
                              X