Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Beloved Applegate Hot Dogs Went Up 60%!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Beloved Applegate Hot Dogs Went Up 60%!!

Next week is my 2nd Paleo Anniversary, and my Applegate 100% Grass-Fed Hot Dogs have been faithful friends the whole time!

They were $4.99 when I started. Today I had to pay $7.99!!

Have they misplaced, like, 150,000 cows?! WTF, Applegate!

(Could this be drought related, or...??)
    Vegan from 1993 until Oct 16, 2010. "D'oh!!"

I think it's Federal Reserve related.

If your government is forcing you to be paid with paper, then they don't have your best interests in mind.

Do not blame Applegate.

If prices could be cheaper, then new competition would come in. And if new competition can't come in, it is because of government regulations which make it too costly to start a business or hire an employee.

Comment

There was a terrible drought this year:

Drought to Impact Meat Prices | Meat content from Supermarket News

Supply and demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Must have been the worst drought in the past 100 years because meat prices are higher now than they have ever been.

Remember, supply and demand works with money too. You have a certain supply of money, and a certain demand for money. When money is in infinite supply, guess what happens to the demand.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's actually one of the worst droughts in the last hundred years. Also, it's just goddamn hotdogs. Can we please have a conversation about hotdogs without some libertarian spew?

Wilberfan, I suspect it is the crippling drought affecting most of the western US, in addition to the use of corn for biofuel production.
          "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Comment

Originally posted by Blanchy View Post
            I'm pretty sure it's actually one of the worst droughts in the last hundred years. Also, it's just goddamn hotdogs. Can we please have a conversation about hotdogs without some libertarian spew?

Wilberfan, I suspect it is the crippling drought affecting most of the western US, in addition to the use of corn for biofuel production.
            Thank you.

Comment

I noticed it with bacon a bunch of years ago. I mean I know I'm reeeeally old, but bacon used to be the shit meat you could buy for cheap. A few years ago it got expensive - prob'ly in reaction to "pork fat rules!"

Sorry about your hot dogs. Maybe you could learn to make your own? I grind small portions of meat in what may be the cheapest three-cup food processor on the planet, and I've seen some inexpensive sausage stuffers over at Amazon.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Oh, and the other reason, is I think the cows got their own union.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Try a different supermarket?

I got those hot dogs for free a few days ago. My Publix had them at 6.99 with a "new low price of 4.99" sticker next to it. Rang up at 6.99. Me pointing that out = free hot dogs. yay!

But seriously, for products like that, the supermarket prices can vary quite a bit. It all depends on whether the store manager thinks there's a market for it, and how "special" it is. My crap Winn-Dixie in my neighborhood prices Stonyfield yogurt at crazy high prices, then wonders why no one buys it. Except me, when it's on clearance for 1.50.

Comment

My local Stop and shop has them for 5.49 for 8, if I go to TJs or whole foods, a pack of six is 5.99 - 6.99! Better shop around...
                    Height: 5' 10"
                    Starting Weight: 292
                    Starting Primal Weight: 275
                    Current weight: 224
                    Goal weight: 172
                    Body Fat 30.5

Comment

They didn't have them at TJ's this am and bacon was up $2 a package.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

They have a coupon for $1/off on their website, if that helps.
                        About Us - Coupons - Applegate

Originally posted by wilberfan View Post
                        Next week is my 2nd Paleo Anniversary, and my Applegate 100% Grass-Fed Hot Dogs have been faithful friends the whole time!

They were $4.99 when I started. Today I had to pay $7.99!!

Have they misplaced, like, 150,000 cows?! WTF, Applegate!

(Could this be drought related, or...??)

Comment

Originally posted by Blanchy View Post
                          Also, it's just goddamn hotdogs. Can we please have a conversation about hotdogs without some libertarian spew?
                          In 1906 you could buy a hot dog for three cents, or two hot dogs for five cents.

I guess they must have had really good weather back then.

Remember, when prices start to rise, you need to bury your head in the sand and pretend it's because of the weather. Only kooky people think that The Fed printing money and handing it out to bankers could actually make your money worth less.

Just go about your business, nothing to see here. Just the weather. Move along.
                          Last edited by Grok; 10-13-2012, 11:44 AM. Reason: spell cheque

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                            Oh, and the other reason, is I think the cows got their own union.
                            At the Savemart here you can still buy bacon ends, and pork back fat really cheap. I can literally survive on $1 a day with pork back fat.

Comment

I pay $8.99 for the applegate grass fed ones all the time at our local supermarket! WFs has them for a bit less, and I bought about 10 packs when they went on sale for 599!!!!
                              Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
                              Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
                              Starting Weight: 174.8
                              CW:160.0 lbs

Comment

Working...
                              X