No announcement yet.

Best Cookware?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard you can actually get too much iron from cast iron, but I still use it for steaks and lamb chops. Maybe I should donate blood...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I use this for my eggs, absolutely love it.

Bialetti
      Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
      READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Comment

Well, I think cast iron cookware is really good for long-period use. But what you should keep in mind is that you should season your cookware perfectly and avoid the rust, or you may get unhealthy food.

Comment

Old cast iron or enameled. The new Lodge stuff isn't milled as finely and doesn't take to seasoning very well. If you can find some old Griswold stuff, you can re-season it as long as it isn't warped. Otherwise, enameled cast iron would get my vote.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I've used cast iron forever, but I just started using a high carbon steel pan. Cooks and seasons just like cast iron.

Comment

If you opt for cast, you will probably find Lodge brand in the store. As RichMahogany noted, they don't finish the surface as smooth as it should be and this will be an issue with food sticking. So go through every skillet/pan they have and find the ones with the smoothest surface, your eye and finger will be adequate testing devices. Getting a smooth finish will help in making your cast iron experience a good one.
              The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Just hit the antique stores for a good one. They never wear out. Burn off the old seasoning and reseason and you're good to go.

Comment

I'm with many other posters...Le Creuset!! If you only get one piece get the giant French oven...very versatile and worth the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

I have a Lodge skillet. Not the smoothest, as people have said, but I've found that by using a flat edged steel 'pancake' spatula and scraping the bottom all the way around when cleaning the skillet, the roughness is being polished so it has gotten smoother and smoother. Just a tip if you can't get one of the good ol' skillets.

Comment

I prefer stainless, but my Lodge is easy to clean with a stiff Nylon brush in hot water.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post
                        I prefer stainless, but my Lodge is easy to clean with a stiff Nylon brush in hot water.
                        I hate stainless. It doesn't ever heat evenly at all for me. What am I doing wrong?
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          I hate stainless. It doesn't ever heat evenly at all for me. What am I doing wrong?
                          What brand and kind? The better ones have a higher quality sandwich of metals in the base to distribute heat. However having cooler areas is great when you want to cook multiple items that cook at different rates. Practice &patience is often the way.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

I use cast iron, enameled cast iron, porcelain, glass, and stainless steel.
                            My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
                            Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

Working...
                            X