Do You We Need More Sleep in Winter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You We Need More Sleep in Winter?

Hi, I have always thought that it was somewhat unnatural forcing yourself out of bed when it is dark outside in the morning. Surely it might have been an advantage for the likes of Grok to conserve energy when food was scarce in the winter. A sort of mini-hibernation. Any thoughts or evidence on this?

It's not just that food is scarcer--humans have really crappy night vision and we're more likely to fall off of something high or get eaten by something that can see us when we can't see it, if we do too much wandering around in the dark.

But that said, you should sleep whatever amount feels natural and leaves you energetic and well-rested. Go to bed early and wake up naturally, no matter what time of year it is.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
      humans have really crappy night vision
      Speak for yourself. On an average night my eyesight is about as good as it is in the day. On cloudy nights it gets a bit worse but it's still completely manageable.
      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
        Speak for yourself. On an average night my eyesight is about as good as it is in the day. On cloudy nights it gets a bit worse but it's still completely manageable.
        Whatever, dude. I know you think you are a superhero but thinkin' don't make it so. You simply do not have the same level of night vision as a leopard does.
        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Whatever, dude. I know you think you are a superhero but thinkin' don't make it so. You simply do not have the same level of night vision as a leopard does.
          Bingo. Superheroes like Alex aside, we're not nocturnal creatures by nature.

I find it's easier to wake up when there is sunlight, which means in the winter I end up sleeping too late in the morning unless I artificially fool myself with a lamp set on a timer to come on at the same time every morning, all year long. I do find myself getting more sleepy earlier as the sun sets earlier.

I think we do probably need extra sleep during the winter. Not only is food more scarce, but for many of us it's COLD. Keeping warm can sap a lot of energy. It might not be a drastic difference in hours, but yes, I do think there's a difference in how much sleep we need from summer to winter.

Comment

In the last couple of years I have become much more sensitive to the changing systems. I think we do need more sleep, particularly in the colder climes. I live in Florida and we have had some cold winters recently, at least cold for us. So yes, I think you are on to something
            You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
            height 5'3
            SW 215 lbs
            CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
            LW 172 lbs
            GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Autism.
              Hypersensitive hearing: Those things meant to drive off dogs? They hurt.
              Hypersensitive vision: I can see in the dark. Need I say more?
              Hyposensitive touch: Pain doesn't stop me. Although for some reason I seem to feel whatever touches my body hair. It doesn't hurt but it's wierd considering I feel almost nothing when I shave.

So yeah, for all intents and purposes (especially when you consider that I also happen to be a genius who has been compared to sherlock holmes (by people who overestimate, yes, but it gives you a general idea of my intelligence)) I AM a superhero. Or at the very least a potential action hero.
              Last edited by Alex Good; 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM.
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

lol really? you're probably just magnesium deficient
                Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Comment

Originally posted by Jer37208 View Post
                  lol really? you're probably just magnesium deficient
                  Me? Nope, I was actually diagnosed with autism (as well as a bunch of other crap). I was tested for the hypersensitivities and I know about the hyposensitivity because other than the trained response elicited by my mothers constant panic attacks, burning myself has no effect. Well, there was physical damage but I still didn't feel it. So yeah, after overcoming my trained fear of fire I'll be able to stick my hand into a fire and watch it burn off. No, I'm not going to do that.

Comment

Autism.
                    Hyposensitive touch: Pain doesn't stop me. Although for some reason I seem to feel whatever touches my body hair. It doesn't hurt but it's wierd considering I feel almost nothing when I shave.
                    Yes, pest repellents are painfully loud. Other people can't hear them, and have no idea what I'm talking about. I also have amazing night vision. It's nice to have another around to talk to!

Ha-ha, martial arts people get so frustrated when my "pressure points" yield no reaction. Had a guy hook my jaw below the ear and I just looked at him like, "Is that supposed to bother me?" He was so weirded out he didn't want to play anymore. Same for the fingernail thing. Go ahead. Tear the whole thing off. Doesn't really bother me enough to stop me from doing whatever else I'm focused on.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

My sense of touch isn't quite that low. I'm sure I'd feel it if someone took off my fingernail (not sure if that was sarcasm so I assumed it wasn't). I mean, I could probably still take the pain that I did get from that but I would likely wince. Although that time that I got a knife in the chest wasn't too bad.
                      Have you noticed which foods affect night vision? Because occasionally when I switch the foods which I'm eating my ability to see will just shoot down for a few days.

And I'll check your response tomorrow, I'm tired.

Comment

My night vision does sometimes fade, I never thought about why. I just assumed it was less moonlight, clouds, etc. - but there mght be more to it. I'll have to pay attention more to what I've been eatng when it gets dim.

A little sarcasm, but, yeah, it wouldn't stop me from charging. It definitely doesn't immobilze my arm the way it's supposed to (the fngernail pinch). I just roll through the pain and keep moving.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Great some people thinking along the same lines as me then.

Since eating/living paleo for the last 6 weeks or so my sleep quality, amongst other things, has definitely improved. I do also go to bed a little earier. I find that I am full of energy for most of the day and then I suddenly go very tired at around 11.00pm. So I am not finding it quite as hard getting up as I used to do, but it is definitely still harder to get up when the rain is beating down on the windows and it is dark outside in winter than it is in summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                            Autism.

So yeah, for all intents and purposes (especially when you consider that I also happen to be a genius who has been compared to sherlock holmes (by people who overestimate, yes, but it gives you a general idea of my intelligence)) I AM a superhero. Or at the very least a potential action hero.
                            Alex Good, you crack me up...(my autistic son has similar 'abilities')!
                            Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                              My night vision does sometimes fade, I never thought about why. I just assumed it was less moonlight, clouds, etc. - but there mght be more to it. I'll have to pay attention more to what I've been eatng when it gets dim.

A little sarcasm, but, yeah, it wouldn't stop me from charging. It definitely doesn't immobilze my arm the way it's supposed to (the fngernail pinch). I just roll through the pain and keep moving.
                              I measure how good my night vision is on any particular night by checking how well I can see in my room without any lights on. I have a blanket over my window so the level of darkness remains somewhat constant.
                              And yeah I know what you mean about holds. The one where your arm gets twisted behind your back does seem to work on me though, mostly because it relies on leverage more than pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X