Is Football primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWBooth View Post
    I think Football is relatively primal. It is mostly either sprinting or brief explosions of pushing and shoving. The one area where it probably falters is that the dynamics of the game favor massive, unhealthily large offensive linemen, which of creates an arms race of almost equally large defensive linemen to stand up to them and that is probably the driving factor in the atrocious life expectancy of professional football players.

A more interesting question perhaps, which sport is most primal?

American Football
    European Football (soccer)
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Australian Rules Football

I would say Rugby Union is most primal.
    I disagree. Football has a couple more things going for it. One, there's a huge variety of skills on the field at any given moment. There are 5'8" 180 cornerbacks, 6'6" 260 tight ends, and 6'2" 320 offensive guards. There are throwers as well as kickers. Secondly, there's a lot of strategy that goes into the utilizing of these talents. What is rugby but a bunch of running and tackling? Football is that too, but I imagine the comparison like this. Put a football team in the wild using their passing attack, their blitzing, their zone defense, their offensive line, etc against a rugby team that is basically utilizing strategy that American football moved past back in the 1930's or 40's. The American football team wins.

If you play any of these games in your backyard, American football is most dynamic too. Forget about the spectator sport aspect of it. I played a lot of tackle football growing up with no pads just like rugby would be. People only play football with pads when they are in actual leagues. It's for good reason too! The game can be violent, and people don't want to die because of a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
      Only rugby football. LOL

Look...Its our gorgeous boyz
      xxxx
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

If the players are naked or wearing furs and the 'ball' is an inflated bladder - it's primal.
        Last edited by Liam; 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure serious football violates the "Don't do stupid things" rule, so no. On the other hand, how many of us are playing serious football?
          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Liam View Post
            If the players are naked
            naked rugby....hmmmmm....theres a thought !!!!!!
            I know its sad !!!!! But sometimes us old Gwammas enjoy a THOUGHT !!!!!!!!!
            "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Bread and circuses.

Stadium sports are a way of priming the population for militarism, which is one of the major diseases of post-agriculture civilization.
              The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                Life has an injury rate. Men need violence... The question is if it will be sanctioned and under control or random and out of control.
                The longer I go, the more I think there's something to say about the violence. I often hear stories about how it strengthens various relationships. When people need an outlet, they'll find one, regardless of it's legality.

Comment

Working...
                X