Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I knew pigs were omnivores, but c'mon, really?? seriously..??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
    The possibility of foul play is being investigated as well.

"He had all kinds of birds, and turkeys that ran all over the place. Everybody knew him."
    Hmm. Perhaps fowl play.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'm really not making light of this--this is a really sad story and sucks--but....I'm seriously curious: will those pigs now ever get slaughtered and eaten? Are there rules about eating something that's eaten a person?

Comment

Anyone read The Jungle? I always remember the scene where a sick pig is easy pickens for the others pigs crammed into a boxcar.

Comment

Originally posted by Betorq View Post
          MOST people actually shit their pants when they die. And piss themselves as well. Death ain't pretty....
          As a person married to a cop, and friends with fire, nurses, EMT, and CSI weirdos (one of my good friends is the county's entomologist, yep 'the bug girl' ) ...

Bladder release is almost 100%... bowels is hit and miss. It happens but much less frequently than bladder release.
          Basically if you have evacuated recently, you don't because there is nothing low in the colon.
          Strangely, vomiting also happens some of the time... just a small amount.

But I'd say if the pigs ate him immediately it's pretty certain he did evacuate and that's what got their attention, plus the fact that he was likely carrying food, and they were already expecting to be fed.
          If he had a heart attack and fell he may have even spilled the food onto himself. Bad news.

From the article it sounded like he was keeping some terribly LARGE sows. More bad news. Sows like that can be VERY aggressive. I nearly had my card punched by smaller sows many times while catching piglets for marking up after farrowing.

In farming we always rotated sows... they could stay a couple of seasons but after that they were too big to be manageable and needed to be fed more for the same production numbers, and we kept replacement gilts and butchered them. By then they were lardy enough for hams and rendering and such anyway... no need to let them go until they are dangerously big like that and just keep them.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I'm really not making light of this--this is a really sad story and sucks--but....I'm seriously curious: will those pigs now ever get slaughtered and eaten? Are there rules about eating something that's eaten a person?
            i guess it would depend on how hysterical everyone gets. and also on who officially owns the pigs now. if it is the entire pig farm stock, or even just the breeding sows, it is rather alot of $s to loose. i would expect they will be keeping them confined to see what comes out the other end for forensic purposes. then they may just destroy them all or say it was an accident and get on with business as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
              Wasn't this in Snatch?
              Yes.

I still have no idea what Pitt was saying in that movie, but I remember the pigs quite vividly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                I am pretty sure that the same laws would apply to farm animals as do to any other domesticated animal that attacks or kills a human. They're usually destroyed. I seriously doubt the governing body would allow any animal known to have consumed human flesh back into the human food stream--disease issues aside (and those are not trivial), I wouldn't want to be the guy who ate the ham that ate the farmer, so it's an ethical problem too.
                Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

It IS a sad story....trust Fox News in Oregon to point out the whole macabre "his dentures were found in front of the food trough". At least they didn't find one of the hogs WEARING his dentures.
                  I guess he was a farmer very well respected in the community, always encouraging people to bring their kids around to see how farming really worked. The hogs were so large because he sold the piglets as weaners. (One woman commented on an Oregon news site that he sold "weiner pigs". Another person said "what the heck is a weiner pig?" Had to laugh over that one.)

I sent the link to my dad who is an old farm boy and he said first thing you learn is never to stumble in the hog pen. Big dilemma as to what to do with the guilty hogs....I mean, what could you say?

Comment

Reminded me of the scene in 'Silence of the Lambs' where bad guys feed someone to hogs. Also the old saying "He when to shit and the hogs et him."

Don't mess with pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by LJH View Post
                      Reminded me of the scene in 'Silence of the Lambs' where bad guys feed someone to hogs. Also the old saying "He when to shit and the hogs et him."

Don't mess with pigs.
                      Not Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal.

And those hogs were actually trained to have a heightened feeding response to human screams much like Pavlov's dogs were trained with the bell, as well as by stuffing human clothing with food so that they were familiar with tearing into it to get to their dinner.
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                      X