No announcement yet.

Fudge Rounds and Star Crunches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had my grandma's home made jam and bread as our daily tea accompaniment almost with every meal. My grandma used to insist I eat sugar so 'your brain works in school'. She survived the war, sugar was part of the rations, just trying to keep people alive. The wrong nutritional message stuck.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
      Hostess fruit pies where my all time favorite.
      ooh yeah!!! i'm old so i remember when they were actually made w/ lard.

i ate the hell out of little debbies but only b/c they were just $0.25, so that meant i could save the other $0.75 out the $1 that i got for lunch money.

Comment

I actually never ate things like this when I was a kid, my mom hated desserts like that.

At my dad's house, there was more junk food - mostly Spaghettios and Kraft Mac n Cheese. Neither of those things would ever have made an appearance at my mom's house and she'd have bitched me out royally if she knew I had eaten them.

I didn't try a twinkie until I was in my early 20's and I was far less than impressed. :P But I have other vices from childhood - hot buttery toast and potato chips are my kryptonite.

Edit: It's pretty obvious I am a "salt tooth" rather than a "sweet tooth" kinda gal. :P
        yay!

Comment

Originally posted by qqemokitty View Post

I didn't try a twinkie until I was in my early 20's and I was far less than impressed. :P But I have other vices from childhood - hot buttery toast and potato chips are my kryptonite.

Edit: It's pretty obvious I am a "salt tooth" rather than a "sweet tooth" kinda gal. :P
          But not just any chip...
          Cape Cod chips... *drools profusely*
          Strangely the "low fat" ones... I don't know why... it's embarrassing. The regular ones are too greasy.

I still stare at them longingly when I walk past a bag...
          I don't miss all of this other stuff... But I miss THOSE!

Of course that may be because I haven't had any in so LOOoooooooOONnnnG.
          I'm on a very strict reduced sodium diet (medical issues), so I haven't slipped. *sigh*
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I didn't try a twinkie until I was in my early 20's and I was far less than impressed. :P But I have other vices from childhood - hot buttery toast and potato chips are my kryptonite. :P
            Sour cream and cheddar chips are my kryptonite. Haven't had them in a while but I can kill a bag, easy. And not the baked kind either - the bright orange ruffly kind. Yum

Comment

Utz actually makes a variety of chips fried in lard, Grandma Utz's: UTZ

They're probably using snowden potatoes like most other chip makers. Those are higher in solanine. And I'm sure the lard is not from pastured pigs. But it's certainly better than chips fried in soybean/canola oil and probably the best option if you're not going to make your own.

Comment

for those of you who ate the HFCS snack cakes as children. do not despair, they are still in your cells LOL

We had a local bakery that made doughnuts circa 1975. then the place shut down and Dunkins came in... there was no comparison. turned me off doughnuts way before i learned that specific foods are actually bad for you no matter the quantity.

I naturally stopped enjoying soda etc when HFCS started taking over, i didnt understand why and it was not a fight.

anyone over 35 remember dolly madison chocolate pies? remember when they added hfcs... yeck

anyone remember the apple barn in Gatlingburg before 1995?

What about your local pizza house between 1960 and 1982 then the wheat rust destroyed that strain of wheat, and for you fact checkers it wasnt the rust in my opinion that harmed the wheat, it was the engineering that made it resist the rust that did the trick.

so much food is gone and can never be replaced due to the damage we did to the planet while attempting to become more technologically advanced
                Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

I was always a fan of Nutty Bars. Loved to eat them layer by layer.

Comment

BBQ Kettle Chips </3

Nutty Bars were pretty good, they sold those at my middle school and my friends and I would pool money to get them, unbeknownst to the parentals of course. :P

Edit: I can't believe I just wrote "unbeknownst" who does that?! Hehe
                    yay!

Comment

Working...
                    X