Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to drop the last 3-5 lbs and I have an idea...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
    yes, definitely cut out the chocolate and the nuts. and the raisins. and the big giant bowls of carby squash!!

if meat's not your thing (i go in phases), eat more eggs and fish like salmon and sardines.

am quite sure nobody looks at you and thinks, "WOW -- she really needs to lose 3 pounds. what a whale!!" ya know? but i understand that you need it for you. it may just be more a matter of patience and body recomp, vs. a number on the scale. i will be 49 in a few days and very little inside me works like it used to.
    Oh, my winter squash too? Just kill me know.

I went shopping today and bought rib eyes (favorite!), salmon, chicken thighs and a pork roast. I have meals for the next 4 days planned out. I ate a lot more protein today than I've eaten in the past few days and I feel full. Over all, I've eaten far less than I've eaten in the past few days and I still feel full. That is a sign I've been doing it all wrong and pretending I was doing it right.

It really isn't about the numbers on the scale or it really shouldn't be. I guess I toss out that 115 because I know that is how much I weighed when I felt the best. I was feeling 'thick' and lethargic yesterday so i decided to weigh myself and saw the 120 number. I weighed myself when I started PB so I knew I had gained a few pounds. It is only 3-5lbs, but the physical feeling (even before i knew how much i weighed) is much worse!
    sigpic
    Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
      Wanna try something cool, that works? Eat only potatoes or rice for 10 days. You will lose close to 1 pound a day while refilling your glycogen stores. Eat as much as you want, but you'll be lucky to eat 1000 calories worth. No other foods allowed. Salt, vinegar, spices, hot sauce, little ketchup OK. Butter - no, Olive oil - no.

I am just coming off a 10 day potato feed. I ate 25lbs in 10 days. You can fry them, boil them, roast, bake, or steam... Incredibly filling and once you get past the initial shock of 'how can I just eat potatoes for 10 days' phase, you will start to enjoy it. Hunger goes away.

The nutritional profile of white potatoes especially is very unique. They contain not only carbs but fat and protein as well. The protein comes from a full amino-acid spectrum.

Upon completion, you will have done several things. Refilled muscle/organ/brain glycogen with a clean carb source, enhanced gut micro-flora structure, increased leptin and glucose sensitivity, learned to eat only when truly hungry, and have time to reflect on why and what you eat.

Try it. You will see weight loss by day 2 guaranteed. No fats! No cheats!
      Ok would this work with sweet potato (kumara) instead of potato ?
      just wondring
      G
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

that sounds absolutely horrible, a 100% carbohydrate diet. youd be better off doing it with butter
        iTA that butter would taste better!

Comment

Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
          Ok would this work with sweet potato (kumara) instead of potato ?
          just wondring
          G
          I'd be leery. With sweet potatoes, you'd be getting over 4000% the rda for Vit A. Not sure you want that for 10 days. Use rice. 2.5lbs of potatoes is equivalent to 6 cups of rice, but don't force the eating--just eat til you are full, same with potatoes. You will naturally be at a calorie deficit but will feel incredibly full. Try it. Do it for 2 days, if you are losing keep going, but don't go more than 2 weeks, it's not a long term plan.

Comment

You all should find a good nutrient calculator and plug your food into it, you'd be surprised what your missing.

Comment

Wanna try something cool, that works? Eat only potatoes or rice for 10 days. You will lose close to 1 pound a day while refilling your glycogen stores. Eat as much as you want, but you'll be lucky to eat 1000 calories worth. No other foods allowed. Salt, vinegar, spices, hot sauce, little ketchup OK. Butter - no, Olive oil - no.

I am just coming off a 10 day potato feed. I ate 25lbs in 10 days. You can fry them, boil them, roast, bake, or steam... Incredibly filling and once you get past the initial shock of 'how can I just eat potatoes for 10 days' phase, you will start to enjoy it. Hunger goes away.

The nutritional profile of white potatoes especially is very unique. They contain not only carbs but fat and protein as well. The protein comes from a full amino-acid spectrum.

Upon completion, you will have done several things. Refilled muscle/organ/brain glycogen with a clean carb source, enhanced gut micro-flora structure, increased leptin and glucose sensitivity, learned to eat only when truly hungry, and have time to reflect on why and what you eat.

Just curious how one can "fry" a potato with no fat...

Also.
              ONLY plain rice or white potato for 10 days sounds absolutely horrid.
              And borderline eating-disordered...

And it does NOT take anyone "days" of eating carbs to refill muscle, organ, and brain glycogen.
              Much, MUCH, much smaller "re-feeds" accomplish the same exact thing.
              Like ONE meal with a nice big serving of rice, some lean protein, and steamed veg.
              Or a big serving or two of winter squash... which is far more delicious, and nutritious.

Potatoes aren't all that "unique"and special either... as their makeup is pretty weak (only 2.5% total protein), and imbalanced (some of the essential amino acids present are in such low amounts even Vegans know that they need to mix them with another protein source to make it work).
              It really doesn't add up as a viable "complete protein".
              How To Make A Complete Protein With A Potato | LIVESTRONG.COM
              Amino Acids In Potatoes | LIVESTRONG.COM

Honestly... IMO... eating the same thing all day every day for 10-14 days...
              IMO you lose because you are sick of eating that food.
              Insert bulky carby lowfat food here... and lose weight "refeed" etc.
              Eat raw APPLES, and only apples, for 10 days! You'll lose weight!
              You'll naturally eat less...
              Hmm... you'd actually probably lose more weight eating the apples since they only have 52cal per/100gm where rice has 130cal/100gm... potato is in the middle with 93/100gm.
              Last edited by cori93437; 09-27-2012, 08:59 PM.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Go to FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal, or any other nutrient calculator, and type in 'potato'. You'll quickly see that potatoes are not 100% carb. You would be the perfect guy to try this and report back. I can GUARANTEE you will lose weight eating potatoes as long as you eat no other source of protein or fat. Plan on doing 10 days, if you don't lose weight--which will be pure fat--by day 2, then stop, post that it didn't work, and I'll never mention it again. It works. Has to do with gut flora and the fact you are a fat-burner. With no fat intake and a clean starch which has it's own complete amino acid and fat source built-in, your body is instantly forced to burn it's own fat.

This is a perfect hack to use once or twice a year. If you gain 5-10lbs, do this potato-reset, and it will melt away. I'm not BS'ing. Try it.
                I don't eat potatoes and im certainly not going to start eating them again. If I did this I would lose a lot of muscle mass. I'd rather a steak a day or something. I'd rather do IF
                Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                Before and after pics
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                Primal Sucess Story
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                Primal Journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

OTZI, why didn't you chronicle this ??? Do you have stats from your experience? I'm intrigued, but I think I'm just excited by the idea of eating a plate of roasted potatoes. With all those herbs, and salt... come on people. Mmmm.

Comment

This would probably work with a lot of foods since the calories are so low.

Since my goal with Primal was to develop healthy, normal, intuitive eating habits, I think I'll pass. I want to be able to see if my body likes that lower weight be getting to that weight eating. No sense getting to 115 only to put the weight back on when I start eating again.

Can i do this with parmesan cheese?
                    sigpic
                    Age 48
                    Start date: 7-5-12
                    5'3"
                    121lbs
                    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                    Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

I dunno, Otzi. When I was doing carb refeeds, I felt Okay on 6 lbs boiled potatoes in a day (~ 2400 cals iirc; my maintenance is ~ 1600 cals). The next day those 6 lbs were right there on the scale, all of them. And it took a week of meticulous huge deficits and no carbs to get it down. How the heck the endless carb refeed like that can work? Won't the huge volumes of food just add up, and stretch your stomach more and more and make you a total pig once you eat fats again and the food volume goes waaaay down? That's a reason I do not want to add refeeds atm at all.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I've got you all thinking. That's good. I plan on starting a thread in Nutrition maybe next week to get more input. My good friend that told me about this is a doctor who studies nutrition and saw what I was going through. He sent me this:

Home

this: Whole Health Source: Interview with Chris Voigt of 20 Potatoes a Day

and this: Whole Health Source: Potato Diet Interpretation

If you look beyond the hype, you will see that eating just potatoes as a tool for losing stubborn fat is an excellent option. It is not a long-term eating solution but it is not harmful for 10-14 days. Yes, it will work with other starchy plants like rice, carrots, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, etc... but the nutritional profiles of those, escept rice, are skewed in one or two area where you would be getting thousands of times the RDA of certain nutrients. Eating too much of certain veggies can cause Carotenosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From one of the links above: "you read my post on December 16th, you know that Chris Voigt saw remarkable fat loss and improvements in health markers as a result of two months of eating almost nothing but potatoes. This has left many people scratching their heads, because potatoes are not generally viewed as a healthy food. This is partially due to the fact that potatoes are very rich in carbohydrate, which also happens to be a quickly digested type, resulting in a high glycemic index. The glycemic index refers to the degree to which a particular food increases blood glucose when it's eaten, and I've questioned the relevance of this concept to health outcomes in the past (1, 2, 3). I think Mr. Voigt's results once again argue against the importance of the glycemic index as a diet-health concept.

It's often pointed out that potatoes are low in vitamins and minerals compared to vegetables on a per-calorie basis, but I think it's a misleading comparison because potatoes are much more calorie-dense than most vegetables. Potatoes compare favorably to other starchy staples such as bread, rice and taro.

Over the course of two months, Mr. Voigt lost 21 pounds. No one knows exactly how much of that weight came out of fat and how much out of lean mass, but the fact that he reported a decrease in waist and neck circumference indicates that most of it probably came out of fat. Previous long-term potato feeding experiments have indicated that it's possible to maintain an athletic muscle mass on the amount of protein in whole potatoes alone (4). So yes, Mr. Voigt lost fat on a very high-carbohydrate diet (75-80% carbohydrate, up to 440g per day).

"

Comment

Someone asked how to cook and eat potatoes with no fat, easy!

Wrap 6-8 potatoes in tinfoil and bake at 400 for 90 minutes--there's lunches for 3 or 4 days. Reheat in microwave or eat cold, top with salt, vinegar, onion powder, tobasco, etc...

Boil 6-8 potatoes until tender. Store in fridge. Eat as snacks or meals.

Shred 2 potatoes into hashbrowns. Get your non-stick frying pan really hot and dribble the shreds in it, stir-fry them a little, adding slowly. When they are all browned, turn heat down put lid on and let them cook through--wonderful!

Cube up some of the boiled potatoes and brown them in the non-stick frying pan. Homefries.

Cut into wedges and bake. Dino french fries.

Potatoes are excellent topped with salt and vinegar. They take on flavor amazingly well. They need no fat to cook or eat with!

Comment

I was previously under the impression that this forum generally promoted healthy diet alternatives...

This is the equivalent of a CRASH diet, like juicing, "cabbage soup", or some such nonsense.

Or, how about only BANANAS all day day for 2 weeks?
                            No fats, no cheats! It works!
                            Sound familiar?
                            I don't know maybe 30 Bananas a Day!
                            That guy even has the wonderfully thin body to prove it...
                            Last edited by cori93437; 09-28-2012, 10:13 AM.
                            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Otzi, again, what happened [i[after[/i] you stopped eating only potatoes for 10-15 days? What were teh hunger levels? How much food volumetrically you took in? How much you regained 2 months after potatoes?

Or, how about only BANANAS all day day for 2 weeks?
                              Bananas, I can take, stoically and reject. That girl who eats nothing but fruit, Omigod, I would sell my soul to be able to eat like her and not crash into a sugar mess in a week's period.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                                I dunno, Otzi. When I was doing carb refeeds, I felt Okay on 6 lbs boiled potatoes in a day (~ 2400 cals iirc; my maintenance is ~ 1600 cals). The next day those 6 lbs were right there on the scale, all of them. And it took a week of meticulous huge deficits and no carbs to get it down. How the heck the endless carb refeed like that can work? Won't the huge volumes of food just add up, and stretch your stomach more and more and make you a total pig once you eat fats again and the food volume goes waaaay down? That's a reason I do not want to add refeeds atm at all.
                                I tried the carb refeed with ChocoTaco and hated them. I'd gain 5-6lbs almost overnight and it would take weeks to lose it. I was the biggest arguer against it.

The difference is with just potatoes, you are getting all the fat and protein (essential amino acids) you need in a way packaged by mother nature. Your body knows exactly how to handle this food. I think the problem with the carb refeeds was that we were still eating lots of protein and some fat.

What have you got to lose other than feeling like an idiot if it doesn't work--you can blame me. I thought there was no way this would work, but it has let me lose the last 10 lbs and it has stayed off. Try it for 2 days, if you are gaining out-of-control (you won't be), quit. If you are losing, keep going.

Leida - I know you hit the gym a lot, this may not be a good plan for you if you want to keep up a grueling workout. If you ever have weeks where you just recover that would be the time to do it. I hope you try!

Comment

Working...
                                X